Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Best Blog Site and Map Software

Display Avatars Sort By:
Derrick White
(miku) - MLife

Locale: Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada
Best Blog Site and Map Software on 02/19/2013 06:54:04 MST Print View

What is the best blog site and mapping software to use to chronicle trips on line. Ideally looking for a simple site that allows me to import map images showing trips. I am curious what others are using. Thanks Derrick

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Best Blog Site and Map Software on 02/19/2013 07:29:28 MST Print View

I can recommend against wordpress.com. They don't allow iframes, which makes it impossible to directly embed (most? all?) online maps.

Miles Barger
(milesbarger) - F - M

Locale: West Virginia
Tumblr on 02/19/2013 07:52:30 MST Print View

I've used and recommend Tumblr. Easy to post, allows iframes, very customizable, and free.

I use Hillmap for online route planning. It can generate an iframe view of your map that you then embed. Just edit the "height" and "width" to suit.

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Tumblr on 02/19/2013 09:08:19 MST Print View

Tumblr's weaknesses are that it isn't really designed to handle comments/discussions, although some themes allow you to add Disqus, and that it's a stronger medium for visuals but weaker for text. OP, if you plan visual-heavy trip reports, tumblr would probably be a good choice. If you plan on doing a lot of writing, you'll probably find the interface frustrating quickly.

Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
postholer on 02/19/2013 09:14:15 MST Print View

postholer.com is designed as a trail journaling site. Trailjournals.com works well too; I prefer postholer, in part because I can journal from the trail or trail towns (it works well with mobile devices). Postholer also does the whole mapping thing you're looking for (I don't believe that TJ does). You can punch in coordinates yourself or if you carry something like a SPOT you can get a nice plot of where you were along the way. I normally don't do the SPOT thing, but I did on the CDT, did a check-in twice a day every day.

You can see how that looks on my journal, at http://www.postholer.com/brianle
On the CDT journal (likely the currently active one, for now at least) click "Continental Divide Trail Map" at the bottom of the sidebar. Zoom in. Hover your mouse over any of the yellow 'S' circles and it tells you the date and time that I checked in there and gives GPS coordinates.

The site owner has added quite a number of features over the years; here's a good summary: http://postholer.com/journal/index.php?trail_id=1