Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn Tarp REVIEW

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ed Jones
(cowboy) - F
Spinntwinn reply on 02/18/2008 01:26:41 MST Print View

Rambler: My beaks extend about 24" in front and 16" in the rear--simply to make the ridge line longer and drip line less likely to get the gear wet--The front (high) beak is sewn to the leading edge of the tarp and a small hole is in the fabric to allow the pole to seat in the grommet (very little water could come thru)--It is held taught to the anchor line (10-12' long) with a small loop just beyond the fabric--The rear beck is sewn likewise but is completely below the grommet and anchor line, and is tied to the pole directly--I sealed all stitching, even the velco patches which support the net tent from the underside--and it seems to work quite well.

Ed Jones
(cowboy) - F
spinntwinn titanium stakes on 02/18/2008 01:30:57 MST Print View

Rambler--You only need to paint the upper 2-3" of the stakes to remain visible--still a great idea however--I have had some trouble with the fancy tensioning gadgets provided--some work and some don't--frustrating

Floris van Breugel
(floris) - F
beaks on 05/12/2008 15:35:50 MDT Print View

I'm thinking of constructing a beak as well for my spinntwinn - I was wondering if anyone had pictures of theirs, and other insights/suggestions? I'd rather not sew it on, but have it removable.

Stamati Anagnostou
(yeoldehipster) - F

Locale: New England
setup on 04/13/2011 06:13:35 MDT Print View

Curiously, is it absolutely necessary that one have adjustable trekking poles to use with this tarp, or is it possible to use fixed length poles? Does anyone have experience with this? I am attracted to the lighter weight and lower price of fixed length poles, but it seems the might not be useful with this shelter.

Andrew King
(drewboy) - F

Locale: Arizona
Re: setup on 04/13/2011 06:31:37 MDT Print View

Fixed length poles work fine too. You can wrap a strip of duct tape around your pole and use that to seat the line for your rear tieout point.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: beaks on 04/13/2011 06:58:47 MDT Print View

Floris,

Check out how the
HyperLight Mountain Gear Echo II
attatches its beak. It seems as if the corners are snapped into place, the peak seems to be located by a grommet over the tip of a trekking pole, a zipper separates the two sides for entry, there are two tie outs pointing rearward adding tension to the sides and the bottom front tie out seems to go in common to the front ridgeline tie out stake.

It is a very neat setup.

Party On,

Newton