Forum Index » GEAR » Mini Dropper Bottles

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jason Mahler
(jrmahler) - M

Locale: Michigan
Mini Dropper Bottles on 02/17/2013 12:54:12 MST Print View

I have googled and not found anything, so will offer up my questions to the experts out there.

1) What amounts of different fluids would you normally bring for 7 nights of camping?
-Doctor Bronners
-Anti-bacterial
-Toothpaste
-deodorant
-Deet
-Sunscreen
-Bleech (killing viruses in water)
-etc

2) What size dropper bottles do you use?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Mini Dropper Bottles on 02/17/2013 13:12:02 MST Print View

http://lawsonequipment.com/All-Products/Mini-Dropper-Bottles-p886.html

These should be plenty. I only use them for soap and Deet.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Mini Dropper Bottles on 02/17/2013 14:25:53 MST Print View

1-2oz hand sanitizer... toothpaste comes already packaged in handy .85oz tube.

dr b.. no freezer bag cooking
deodorant.. no.. why bother
deet.. no lightweight long sleeve/headnet more effective
bleAch.. no.. Sawyer filter
sunscreen.. maybe 1-2oz for face if a lot above treeline.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Locale: LawsonEquipment.com
Amounts on 02/20/2013 18:11:10 MST Print View

I would say the amounts of each will highly depend on how much you use on a daily basis. Since my name came up I will give you what feedback I can. I personally use my mini dropper bottles and mini vials for things like Aquamira, Olive Oil, sauces, and Lemon Eucalyptus bug juice. I use to carry both camp soap and dr. bronners but I found bar soap to be a better solution as it seems to last ALOT longer plus its a bit more manly. As far as toothpaste goes, I just buy those little travel tubes. As far as the other stuff goes, I can't say I have ever carried it as I don't wear deodorant on a daily basis and I barley ever wear sunblock. I have never used antibacterial lotion and while bleach is great for killing germs I usually just use aquamira since I don't like the taste of the bleach. As far as deet goes, I carry that from time to time as well and I will put that in either a mini dropper bottle or a mini vial unless I am going down to the Everglades and then I just carry a case of the stuff. Hope this helps.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Mini Dropper Bottles on 02/20/2013 18:33:10 MST Print View

Everyone is different....

-Doctor Bronners - none. I prefer antibacterial wet wipes.
-Anti-bacterial - none. See above.
-Toothpaste - none. I prefer flossing, brushing (w/o toothpaste), then this.
-deodorant - none.
-Deet - smallest bottle if 100% DEET -- you only need 6 drops a day.
-Sunscreen - I prefer 1 or 2oz wide mouth Nalgene jar for easier access.
-Bleech (killing viruses in water) - figure 5 drops per liter or quart of water

Edited by ben2world on 02/20/2013 18:34:59 MST.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Locale: LawsonEquipment.com
5 drops on 02/21/2013 11:08:31 MST Print View

Is 5 drops of bleach enough? If so, no wonder I can't stand the taste.

I read a few places that you should use a tablespoon of bleach per gallon of water. I am not sure if that is correct?? So doing the math again as its been a few years since I last checked into this. That is .50oz of bleach per 128oz of water. If you convert microliters to oz you get something like 14,786 microliters. My little dropper bottles have a drop size of 40 microliters so that is like 369 drops per gallon or 97 drops per liter. My math always seemed off so I just used 25 drops per liter and you could still taste it. Is my math off? Do you not need to use this much bleach per gallon? Or do I have really strong taste buds? Or all of the above? haha. I would like to hear someone chime in on this. Maybe someone that uses bleach, dropper bottles and is really good at conversions/math.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: 5 drops on 02/21/2013 11:56:02 MST Print View

I've read 4-6 drops on various water treatment sites, including Red Cross emergency preparedness sites. So I just average the numbers to 5 drops per liter.

Edited by ben2world on 02/21/2013 12:34:43 MST.