Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
First <15 lb. Base Weight
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tyler Miller
(FightingTheTide) - F - M

Locale: Southeast
First <15 lb. Base Weight on 02/17/2013 12:29:41 MST Print View

Looking for suggestions to drop weight that are either free or cheap. I'm lacking water bottles at the moment, but plan on picking up a few before my next trip.

This is a winter packing list.

Winter Packing List 2013 UPDATE

Edit - forgot a few things, added the updated list

Edited by FightingTheTide on 02/17/2013 16:16:53 MST.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: First <15 lb. Base Weight on 02/17/2013 14:31:20 MST Print View

Campbells soup cup instead of smaller mug. cut the metal ring off and your canister or stove fits inside (love the crux right?) 25g
http://www.campbellsoup.com/Products/Microwavable short/wide version.

2oz of hand sanitizer instead of dr B's.. no water needed. use plain water to wash any dish.. or do freezer bag cooking.

Tyler Miller

Re: Re: First <15 lb. Base Weight on 02/17/2013 15:02:30 MST Print View

How much does one of those campbell cups weigh once the ring is cut out?

Dr. Bronner's would be used to brush teeth, wash hands, and wash dishes. And maybe a little sponge bath if I ever wanted one. It seems hand sanitizer would then necessitate toothpaste. Maybe I could get a smaller container for the Dr. Bronner's.

Edited by FightingTheTide on 02/17/2013 15:03:20 MST.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: First <15 lb. Base Weight on 02/17/2013 15:38:31 MST Print View

25g for cup.

have you used Dr b's for toothpaste before? i haven't heard good things. A full tube of travel toothpaste is 28g

washing pots with snow or water.. no rinsing involved.

you said that was your winter list... you're going to spongebath in the winter? You're going to spongebath... ever? bit of water on a pack towel or bandana and call it good. Dr Bronners or any other soap isn't good for water sources. Long Trail i had 3 real showers in 18 days at town stops and never cared in between.

Tyler Miller

Re: Re: Re: Re: First <15 lb. Base Weight on 02/17/2013 16:20:50 MST Print View

Edited the first post - updated the list after realizing I forgot a few things.

Probably not going to do a sponge bath (ever)...just saying it's an option. And no, I've never used Bronner's for toothpaste...is it bad? Maybe I'll just use a small tube of toothpaste and some hand sanitizer after all.

And that cup is going to make it's way into my pack. Thanks for the suggestion!

Questions - how am I on clothing? That's pretty much what I took on my last trip (prior to caring about weight) and it kept me plenty warm into the 30's F. I didn't have the wind jacket then, and I had a heavier synthetic jacket instead of the down jacket.

Any other cuts I can make that cost zero to cheap?

Edited by FightingTheTide on 02/17/2013 16:23:14 MST.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: First <15 lb. Base Weight on 02/17/2013 16:37:20 MST Print View

What are typical SE weather conditions?

You couldn't pay me to spongebath in the winter! :)

If your bears hibernate like ours do up north, you might be able to skip the bear bag rope.

Some people can use Dr. Bronners for brushing. I tried it and it reminded me of the times when my parents would wash my mouth out with soap for mouthing off. ACK!!! There is some powdered toothpastes that are decent. Repackage in a tiny bottle. Each brushing only requires a small sprinkling of the powder.

Edited by T.L. on 02/17/2013 16:39:12 MST.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: First <15 lb. Base Weight on 02/17/2013 16:43:18 MST Print View

try it at home once ;) i've heard enough to know i don't care to find out.

Dan D
(TXBDan)

Locale: Boston, MA
legs? on 02/17/2013 19:10:50 MST Print View

What are you bringing for your legs? just the long johns? Probably want a little more insulation and some wind/rain/snow protection as well.

Tyler Miller

Re: legs? on 02/17/2013 21:00:53 MST Print View

For winter trips, I'll try to stick to 20*-30* lows and 40*-50* highs. That's easy here in the SE. What's not easy is predicting wind and rain. If possible, I'm going to avoid a snowstorm.

As for my legs, I was decently warm with my pants and long johns last trip to Mt. Mitchell, with lows in the upper 20's...but I do agree, I could use a little more protection/insulation.

I've got some old thermals that are 100% polypropylene inner and 30/70 wool/polyester outer. They should be warmer than my Kombi long johns, right? Those are just a single layer of 20/80 wool/polyester.

For wind/rain, I did a quick search. How well would Marmot PreCip Pants work for wind/rain/snow? I can get them for ~$37 + shipping.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-precip-pants-waterproof-for-men~p~2283d/?filterString=s~marmot-precip-pants%2F&colorFamily=02

And I'll definitely pass on using Bronner's as toothpaste now that you guys seem to be like, "Dude, I DARE you to try it!"

Edited by FightingTheTide on 02/17/2013 21:46:08 MST.

Ben Wiles
(benjita) - MLife

Locale: Annandale, VA
subtract on 02/20/2013 10:51:50 MST Print View

I'd drop the mug and just use the Ti Pot. I have the 900 also and it's too much volume for just heating up water for meals and a hot drink for one. Depending on where you'll be, I'd also drop the Sawyer and use Aqua Mira instead.

Tommy Nelson
(snowfugger)

Locale: San Diego
Re: First <15 lb. Base Weight on 02/20/2013 12:09:41 MST Print View

A few suggestions:

Shelter looks good
Ditch two pots like others have said...I know it's nice to have one for hot drinks, but a lighter option would be a doctored campbell's cup (mentioned) or drink before/after dinner/breakfast.
Ditch the sawyer and go with AM
Why do you have two baselayers? How long are you planning to be out?
Fleece and down insulating layers? Is the MHW fleece a jacket or vest? I'm not familiar with it
Ditch the sit pad

Great start! I'd also include at least a very basic FA kit, a few bandages or tyvek tape/duct tape. Not sure what comes in the exped's repair kit, assuming glue/patches.

Tyler Miller

Re: Re: First <15 lb. Base Weight on 02/20/2013 13:44:03 MST Print View

I'll post an updated list soon, reflecting some of yall's suggestions.

>Ditch two pots like others have said...I know it's nice to have one for hot drinks, but a lighter option would be a doctored campbell's cup (mentioned) or drink before/after dinner/breakfast.

Consider it done.

>Ditch the sawyer and go with AM

What about areas where water is murky? Plus, I JUST bought it yesterday...where were you when I clicked "buy" (joking)

>Why do you have two baselayers? How long are you planning to be out?
Fleece and down insulating layers? Is the MHW fleece a jacket or vest? I'm not familiar with it

It might help if I explain that this is a generic list for winter trips that I might take, expecting lows near 20*-30* F and highs near 40*-50* F and somewhere in the ballpark of 2-4 days. What I usually wear around camp after a hike is: polyester short-sleeve tee, polyester long-sleeve quarter-zip shirt, patagonia long-sleeve midweight quarter-zip shirt, and then an insulating layer (in this case, my down jacket). The MHW Airshield Elite toboggan is a hat...but i'm from the southeast, and we call them toboggans. So on my extremities, I have the MHW Airshield toboggan, fleece mittens/gloves (convertible mittens with open fingers underneath), and a fleece neckwarmer for sleeping at night. The neckwarmer + hat/toboggan is my version of a balaclava.

But I can ditch the long-sleeve quater zip.

I really feel like this is where I need the most input. Sure, I want to shed a few ounces here and there with smaller gear, but I think my clothes take up too much space. I've read a few great threads on here (one with a confusing chart) that convinced me to get a windshirt, but I'm still left wondering what I really need to stay warm. Is there a basic chart that says (assuming all things being equal) what you should wear for each range of temperatures? I think the thread I mentioned has one, but it might as well be written in Greek.

>Ditch the sit pad

I'm actually not sure about this - where will I sit if I ditch this? It might help to note that I'm getting an REI Flash 45, and not a Kalais, so I won't have a built-in sit pad.

>Great start! I'd also include at least a very basic FA kit, a few bandages or tyvek tape/duct tape. Not sure what comes in the exped's repair kit, assuming glue/patches.

Done. I put one together the other day. And the repair kit is glue and patches.

Edited by FightingTheTide on 02/20/2013 14:17:27 MST.

Tyler Miller

Updated list on 02/20/2013 14:16:43 MST Print View

A few things to note:

-I opted for a lighter, less wind-proof toboggan/hat since I now have a wind jacket with a hood
-The jury is out on the sit pad
-The toothpaste and hand sanitizer are estimated weights
-I forgot to add the Campbell's soup cup (25g estimate)

Total weight: 12 lbs. 1.69 oz. (including campbell's soup cup)

Like I said above, I feel like I need the most help with my clothes. Thanks again for the input!

Winter List v2

Edited by FightingTheTide on 02/20/2013 14:21:01 MST.

Tommy Nelson
(snowfugger)

Re: Re: Re: First <15 lb. Base Weight on 02/20/2013 17:21:14 MST Print View

I would definitely keep at least one long sleeve baselayer top, I just couldn't tell if you had two there. I would say the windshirt will replace at east one of them. Unless you get REALLY REALLY cold, a ss base plus ls base plus windshirt plus insulating layer will be more than enough for 30-50 degree temps, especially with a shell on top.

For reference, in the sierras in late sept, I carried a long sleeve base top/bottom, ss base top, Montbell ex lite down puffy, dri-ducks jacket (look into this for lighter shell option, very cheap but you have to take care with it, 6oz or so), convertable pants, wool glove liners (defeat) and MHW fleece hap (or toboggan...). It got down to low 20s at night, and I slept with a summer weight quilt, base tops and bottoms, and one night wore the Montbell and one night didn't. I tend to sleep a little warmer than most, but I was never hot or cold the whole trip. Of course there we aren't dealing with humidity. That is a game changer. If I was doing a trip back east with similar temp ranges, I might take a fleece instead of the down jacket, but would still take a down quilt.

Tyler Miller

A few more ideas on 02/20/2013 20:24:21 MST Print View

Good insight on clothing. Thanks! I'll try to test different combinations on some day hikes to get a better idea of what I need.

Here's a few more ways I might cut down on my weight:

-trim my trash compactor bag to only what I need...and/or find some that have a smaller diameter
-I ordered some liteline from MLD to replace my current tie-outs...should drop a little weight...maybe
-find a smaller Ti pot for solo trips
-leave the neck warmer unless temps are going to drop below 30
-get some wool glove liners (any suggestions?)
-drop the Lite-Core Sit Pad and use a small section of my old Z-Rest for a sit pad (solution found!)

Edited by FightingTheTide on 02/20/2013 20:25:33 MST.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: A few more ideas on 02/20/2013 21:16:34 MST Print View

i have the DeFeet duragloves and have liked them so far. i think they were around 4oz

http://www.defeet.com/60300/i1364671/733771/Duragloves-Wool/Duraglove-Wool-Charcoal.html

going from a 900ml pot down smaller won't get you much saving.. not worth the $ imo. I went from 1.4L to 700ml and maybe dropped 3oz but gained space in my pack.. going from 900 to 700 doesn't get you much space or weight.

Tommy Nelson
(snowfugger)

Re: Re: A few more ideas on 02/21/2013 02:39:37 MST Print View

+1 on the duragloves...been using them for years.

I wouldn't cut the compactor bag...you're going to need the excess at the top to roll down so things inside stay dry. Either that or you lose the whole reason for carrying it. Of course, that would be even lighter; not carrying it at all!

Kidding...for the weight, it's a no brainer to have dry gear.

Tyler Miller

Re: Re: Re: A few more ideas on 02/21/2013 11:18:03 MST Print View

I've cut up an old (15+ years) Z-Rest and made a new sit-pad that weighs in at 17g. And I'll pass on cutting up the compactor bag...good point there. With the glove liners - seem great, but they are heavier than what I already have. I have some UL running gloves that have a water/wind-proof mitten that can be folded back. They weigh in at 2.2 oz and work well for trail running in the 40's F.

2 Questions: How well would an Exped Schnozzel work as a pillow? That'll shed 2.6 oz if I drop my Cocoon UL pillow. And how well would a small piece of Z-Rest work as a pot grabber? Does that material melt? I cut a small piece that weighs 2g.

Tommy Nelson
(snowfugger)

Re: Re: Re: Re: A few more ideas on 02/21/2013 12:48:31 MST Print View

Good question...I think Pillows are probably one of the most personal pieces of gear. I personally need my head pretty propped up to sleep at all, so while I'd love to not have the weight of anything, I can't sleep without it. I'm still searching for the perfect pillow solution. Right now I'm using a neoair sit pad that weighs 2.7 ounces, I fill it partly and fold it over and use that. Still not enough height for me, but it's the best thing I've tried yet.

Not sure about the z-rest melting. I just rely on my wool gloves.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: A few more ideas on 02/21/2013 14:44:16 MST Print View

I use a 6x6 piece of Shamwow/pack towel for a pot holder. i only boil water so i use it to wipe out my pot and keep my stove from rattling in the pot.

i have the Exped air pillow and happily accept it's 2-3oz whatever. i also need a pillow of some type and tend to wear most of my layers to bed or at least have that option.

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Re: Re: A few more ideas on 02/21/2013 14:48:06 MST Print View

"How well would an Exped Schnozzel work as a pillow?"

Not well for me. I tried it and found the material is too slick unfortunately.

Tyler Miller

Exped Air Pillow UL? on 02/21/2013 19:36:55 MST Print View

"Not well for me. I tried it and found the material is too slick unfortunately."

That's what I was wondering. Thanks.

The Cocoon UL pillow I have is no good - my head keeps rolling off the side.

I might order an Exped Air Pillow UL online. Do these cause your head to roll like other air-filled pillows?

Edited by FightingTheTide on 02/21/2013 20:34:36 MST.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Exped Air Pillow UL? on 02/21/2013 22:54:37 MST Print View

Not for me.. it is higher on the edges than the middle so you stay pretty well. I don't inflate it all the way so when i lay down it squishes down in the middle anyway.

if i'm not wearing all of my shirts i'll put one over the top just to have a nicer feel to it.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Re on 02/22/2013 06:50:52 MST Print View

The ul exped pillow is awesome

Tyler Miller

Re: Re: Exped Air Pillow UL? on 02/22/2013 06:52:41 MST Print View

Good stuff. I ordered a large. Hope it's not overkill.

I'm fine adding a little weight to sleep better.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re on 02/22/2013 07:28:11 MST Print View

Michael, could you use the Exped pillow for a sit pad as well?

Some of these small inflatables are beefy enough, some aren't.

Ben Wiles
(benjita) - MLife

Locale: Annandale, VA
murky water on 02/22/2013 07:47:47 MST Print View

filter water through coffee filters then treat with Aqua M.

Edited by benjita on 02/22/2013 16:50:59 MST.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re on 02/22/2013 07:48:43 MST Print View

I would not use the exped as a sit pad. i think the small chunk of Z-rest is fine if you need such a thing. in not winter a 12x12 piece of tyvek to keep your pants dry would probably be enough.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Exped pillow/seat on 02/22/2013 14:32:10 MST Print View

Got a reply from Exped. Here's what they had to say about using the UL pillow as a camp seat:

"Thank you for your email and for thinking Exped! The AirPillow UL can certainly be used as a sit pad, but there are a couple things to take into consideration when doing so:

-The shell fabric of this pillow is an ultralight 20 denier. As with our UL mats, I would definitely not suggest placing it directly on the ground or slab of rock during use. Any thorns or abrasion against gritty rocks or rough ground has the potential to cause harm to the fabric, and you'd be much better off wrapping a shirt around the pillow or sitting on some sort of ground cloth.

-Our UL products have a 250 lb weight limit. Even if you are well below this level, sudden instances of increased pressure has the ability to cause damage to the internal welds of the pillow. For example, when you first drop down onto the pillow after a long day on the trail, you want to be careful to lower yourself onto the pillow lightly. Collapsing onto it, as you would you couch at home, can certainly cause an instant of high strain, and potential weld damage.

-The pillow is contoured to fit any number or sleeping positions, both on your side and on your back. Because of this, the surface of the pillow is not completely flat, as our sit pad is. For increased comfort while using the pillow as a seat, I would suggest releasing about 1/4 of the pressure, thus allowing the surface to flatten out a bit."

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
wt on 02/22/2013 20:16:47 MST Print View

The scnozzle pumpbag is also a pack liner save 2.3 oz
or use nylofume and save 1.2 oz

ditch the pillow save 2.6
lighter spoon, save 0.2
ditch pot grabber, use bandana or such - 0.4
neckwarmer 1.2
one pr spare socks, 1.3
use photon freedom, extra batteries = 0.5 oz, save 1.7 oz
much less toothpaste, save 1.5oz

easy 11.2 oz or so. About 3/4 lb.

Tyler Miller

Re: wt on 02/22/2013 20:39:44 MST Print View

I'm traveling right now but plan on posting an updated list once I get home and have a chance to weigh a few pieces and cut a few things down.

This is good stuff.

Realistically, I'll probably keep the pillow so I can sleep better. That's worth the 2-3 oz for me. But most of the other suggestions given will probably be used.

Randy Cain
(bagboy) - MLife

Locale: Palmdale, CA
Bronners on 02/23/2013 23:59:42 MST Print View

The only thing I EVER use to brush with (at home as well as on trail) is Dr Bronners soap, BUT......get the Unscented Baby stuff. The others I've tried definitely have a funky taste, but the unscented has hardly any taste at all. Bear researchers in Alaska found that Grizzlies LOVE the peppermint Bronners, so other bears might as well. That's another reason I love the unscented stuff. I can use it for washing my body, mouth, pots, whatever. So I like the multipurpose nature of it.

Tyler Miller

Bear Bags on 02/25/2013 08:48:39 MST Print View

I'll have to check out the baby bronner's soap...might be the ticket.

Question on bear bag/rope:

I have 40' of 1.9mm Tech Line (Dynema, 480 lb. breaking strength @ 0.018 oz/ft.). It's pretty slick, so I figure it will slide well across a branch, but is it still too thin (will it cut into branches)? My other option is 50' of PMI Utility Cord (3 oz. total). It's definitely thick enough, but too heavy IMO.

And would 0.9 oz/yd(sq) noseeum mesh be strong enough to make a bag that could hold 6-7 lbs? Or should I just stick to 1.4 oz silnylon?

I know there are other fabrics that might be stronger/lighter than these, but I'd like to work with what I already own for the time being.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Bear Bags on 02/25/2013 11:32:29 MST Print View

"Or should I just stick to 1.4 oz silnylon?"

I think the silnylon would be best. For one thing, it is more rainproof. I recommend using a dark color since that is harder for the animal to see at night.

--B.G.--

Tyler Miller

Headlamps vs. Handheld Lights on 02/25/2013 17:15:06 MST Print View

"I think the silnylon would be best. For one thing, it is more rainproof. I recommend using a dark color since that is harder for the animal to see at night."

Thanks!

Any suggestion on a lightweight headlamp? All of the ones carried at major retailers are 2.75 oz or more. A keychain light isn't going to cut it for me.

Here's a 73 lumen light that weighs 0.9 oz. http://www.rei.com/product/821450/fenix-mini-ld01-flashlight
How inconvenient would it be to use a handheld light instead of a headlamp? I'm not hiking at night, but I like being hands-free for cooking dinner and putting a bear bag up past sunset.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Headlamps vs. Handheld Lights on 02/25/2013 17:51:55 MST Print View

There is a lot of discussion about flashlights versus headlamps, but it is difficult to search for here. Most of us purchase a headlamp, but then we use it half as a headlamp and half in hand as a flashlight. For you Brits and Aussies, that would be a hand torch.

You can purchase a flashlight but then stick it into an elastic headband, but it is a bit easier to just purchase a headlamp in the first place since it already has some sort of headband with it. On the other hand, many headlamp bands are too heavy, so some of us replace the factory headband with something lighter in weight. Personally, I took an old Croakies neoprene band to my headlamp and saved some weight.

Before you try to purchase a headlamp or a flashlight, you need to establish your priorities. It might mean getting the lowest weight, or the lowest cost, or the brightest light, or something else. You might start by establishing the lumens of light power that you require, like 73 or 100 lumens or whatever. Basically, for camp chores, you only need 25 or 50 at most. For night trail hiking, you might want 50 or more. For spotting wildlife at night, you might want 100 or more. You also want to establish whether you want more of a flood light pattern or a spot/beam. You want to establish your requirement for battery life. For example, you might need it to go 10 hours at 50 lumens, or whatever. You want to establish which battery type you want to use, like 2xAAA, or 1xAA, or 123, primary or rechargeable. Often that decision is made to be like the other electrical devices use so that you can swap batteries or spares as necessary, but it doesn't have to be. Nearly everything needs to be LED, not incandescent.

I've been very happy with my Zebralight. I can click the button to get a low light power and long battery life, or I can click it to get medium power and medium life, or I can click it to get high power and shorter life. That seems to appeal to lots of backpackers, but it costs a few bucks more money. Mine ended up below 2 ounces with strap and battery.

--B.G.--

Jason Mahler
(jrmahler) - M

Locale: Michigan
Photon on 02/25/2013 17:54:11 MST Print View

I personally like my ~3oz headlamp, great beam and we sometimes hike at night. If you are only doing camp chores, then a photon may be all that you need. They weigh 7 grams and come in all kinds of beam colors. They work pretty well overall and spare batteries weigh very little.

http://www.photonlight.com/led-flashlights/photon-micro-light-ii-pro-led-keychain-flashlight/

Tyler Miller

Re: Re: Headlamps vs. Handheld Lights on 02/25/2013 18:53:15 MST Print View

Thanks for the details Bob!

I took the elastic headband off my headlamp and replaced it with some shock cord. I also replaced the rechargeable batteries with Lithium batteries. It went from 2.6 oz to 1.8 oz.

I'm not sure how many lumens it has. There are three modes - bright, solid red, and flashing red. It works great around camp, but I could use something brighter if I were to hike at night. However, that's not in my plans any time soon, so this will suffice.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Headlamps vs. Handheld Lights on 02/25/2013 19:15:21 MST Print View

"I took the elastic headband off my headlamp and replaced it with some shock cord. I also replaced the rechargeable batteries with Lithium batteries. It went from 2.6 oz to 1.8 oz."

Yes, that is the right idea.

If you use ordinary shock cord, you might find it to be uncomfortable after a while since it might dig into your skin. There are some flatter elastic cords and straps that work pretty good. Most of the time we don't need all of those fancy buckles and slides.

Yes, lithium primary batteries are a good choice for many people. They have three to four times the energy density as an ordinary alkaline battery, but they are lighter in weight, have much better shelf life, and operate at much colder temperatures. The bad news is that they are pricey, and when they finally run low on power, they tend to go completely dead in a hurry.

--B.G.--

Tyler Miller

Final check on 02/25/2013 19:48:07 MST Print View

Okay, one more check before I buy my pack - which won't be for another month or so. As it is, I feel like I've trimmed as much as I can without sacrificing too much comfort.

A few notes:

-This doesn't include water bottles. I'll grab some gatorades from a gas station, or something like that.
-I plan on trimming my Flash 45: maybe remove the lid (if not needed), the bladder sleeve, and maybe trim a few of the straps.
-I plan on trimming up my bivy to take off a ~1-2 ounces.
-My tarp isn't finished, so this is an estimate.
-I don't have rain pants yet...still not sure if I need them.
-I'm sticking with the Sawyer Squeeze for now until I can get more comfortable on the trail. The time and fiddle factor of Aquamira are keeping me from switching...for now.
-Another option for water: I have some iodine tablets w/ taste neutralizer tablets, weighing 2.2 oz stock.

I'm content with this for a winter pack, but does anyone see anything else I could do to drop a little more weight? I need it to be either free or cheap.

Winter List v3

Edited by FightingTheTide on 02/25/2013 19:51:35 MST.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Handheld AND Headlamp on 02/26/2013 09:02:24 MST Print View

I used to take my favorite car camping headlamp along (Petzl Tikka XP) but decided that at around four ounces it was too heavy. I bought the Petzl e-Lite (just under an ounce with battery) and found it's perfect for all of my camp chores. It's lacking, though, if you want any kind of spot that will show you more than a pair of eyes gleaming back at you.

So - I added a Fenix LD01 (.8 ounce with battery) to my kit. I keep the Fenix in my pocket while I sleep and use it to spot those things in the dark that I care to see. It's also a lot easier to turn on to the correct mode than the e-Lite if I want light in a hurry.

My total light weight is right at 1.8 ounces with both of my needs met nicely.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Final check on 02/26/2013 10:19:45 MST Print View

Dr Bronners is nasty for toothpaste. I carry the gel stuff in a small squeeze bottle.

You don't want to use the Sawyer filter in sub freezing weather. Use tablets or boil--- you may be using snow anyway.

I like redundant lighting, especially in Winter. I'm not a fan of the coin cell lights for primary lighting , butci woul concede to having one for tent/backup use. I've gone to single AA flashlight and headlamp to simplify battery issues. The flashlight is carried in my pocket on my "survival" keyring. Fenix makes a headband for their LD and PD model flashlights if you want a dual-use flashlight:
http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-headband.html

Don't cut back too far on clothing. If you are expecting weather in the 20's, you need some cushion for colder than expected plus windchill. Check to see if you can wear ALL your layers together if needed. Consider what you can sleep in too.

I always carry a sit pad (a z-seat) and use it to extend my sleep pad.

Tyler Miller

Re: Re: Final check on 02/26/2013 10:53:44 MST Print View

Kevin - great insight there. Thanks for the suggestion!

Dale - A few thoughts on what you said:

I bought the unscented Dr. Bronners to give it a shot. I'll probably try it at home soon to see what I think. If not, I'll go with real toothpaste + hand sanitizer.

My trips will be 2-3 nights every 1-3 months, so I can pick and chose time and location to avoid major snow and rain storms. I will indeed keep in mind what precautions I need to take for clothing, hydration, etc should the weather turn for the worst. Thanks for the heads up. This list is assuming favorable conditions for the southeast: 20-30 F at night, 40-50 F during the day, rain being very possible.

Tyler Miller

. on 03/02/2013 10:15:23 MST Print View

Edited by FightingTheTide on 03/02/2013 10:18:21 MST.

Tyler Miller

Aquamira and an Alcohol stove on 03/02/2013 10:17:21 MST Print View

I bought AM and a Lightwater Kit from Anitgravity gear, and a bottlestove/windscreen combo from QiWiz. This will be my first alcohol stove, so I plan on testing it out on dayhikes and car camping.

I'll measure exact weights once I get them, but if I am right in my estimated weight, I'm sitting around 10.9lbs/4.94kg. However, this still doesn't include a bottle for alcohol (fuel) and water bottles.

I figure once I add water bottles and a fuel bottle I'll be back above 11 lbs...but honestly I don't really care about the number. I'm just stoked to have a light base weight because I almost blew my knee out on my last trip in December where I didn't care about weight. Trail running has me back to 100%, and now I'm stoked to plan my next trip! I'll probably do one somewhere in western NC in the next month or two.

Next step - finish my tarp and cut down my bivy (if needed).

Thanks for all the help so far.

Tjaard Breeuwer
(Tjaard) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota, USA
Dr. Bronners for teeth on 03/09/2013 15:09:21 MST Print View

I have used the mint Dr.Bronners for teeth for years. It tastes strange, but not bad.