Forum Index » Chaff » Who bicycles in the winter and has cold hands?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Who bicycles in the winter and has cold hands? on 02/17/2013 11:25:49 MST Print View

Just curious.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Who bicycles in the winter and has cold hands? on 02/17/2013 11:38:31 MST Print View

Me!

Our winter reality differs very much from much of the country. Mild, dry, and sunny. 20's and 30's are typical winter lows (Dec-Feb.) Anyone who rides knows that's cold enough to wreak havoc on hands once you get moving.

My morning rides are short (1-2hrs.) in the week and always out on the mountain bike in the desert, so I'm not tucked down tight on the road amidst traffic, slush, or any of that typically miserable riding conditions that commuters have to contend with in winter. I get warmed up really quick and move around so much on the bike shifting body positions that I tend to stay comfortable. Except my hands, which always seem to be cold.

Pearl Izumi Lobster gloves were a great investment for the coldest mornings. My hands stay warm when it's really cold now. Usually I just slip on my wool Defeet Duragloves with a thin Ibex liner glove inside for mild temps. Good to go.

Neoprene toe covers on my clipless shoes do the trick down low.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Who bicycles in the winter and has cold hands? on 02/17/2013 11:55:01 MST Print View

Erbody gets cold hands in winter biking. That may have been the most challenging part when I did it for a few years, to work everyday.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Who bicycles in the winter and has cold hands? on 02/17/2013 15:05:01 MST Print View

I just got the Defeet Duragloves! i have used them xc skiing and snowshoeing so far and they have been awesome. I will use them alone down to 50 and with goreTex shell mittens below that on the bike. I won't go below freezing so my hands aren't usually cold. feet and face are usually my problems.

we got hit by a little storm up here so it has changed my activities for a bit... bike has been hanging up for a few weeks.

Edited by JakeDatc on 02/17/2013 15:08:18 MST.