Locale: In the shadow of Table Mountain
Re: Re: re bread & cheese on 11/26/2007 00:02:00 MST Print View

Same here. Did I miss a trip report?

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: re bread & cheese on 11/26/2007 01:54:05 MST Print View

> Same here. Did I miss a trip report?
No, the post-trip gear evaluation got a bit delayed by some other issues. However, it is now in the pipeline.

Cheers

Woubeir (from Europe)
(Woubeir) - F - MLife
Re: Re: Re: re bread & cheese on 11/26/2007 11:44:46 MST Print View

fresh bread, cheese, saucisson, ...
I see Roger has experienced the delights of walking in France.
Well, you know what they say: living like God in France.

Hart -
(backpackerchick) - MLife

Locale: Planet Earth
Nice Work on 10/10/2009 13:17:48 MDT Print View

Wow, what a great review. I like your style! For this type of backpacking, this is what I am aspiring to gear wise. I'm probably going to think in terms of skimping just a bit more -- but so far tarps and duvets and pepsi can stoves don't really appeal to me. Basically seeking lightweight versions of traditional gear. And of course asking the question, will I really use this? Just got my first scale and started a spread sheet.

Re: the crampons, axes, etc. Were you using the postal service a lot?

BTW, do you bring Vegemite Tubes?

Edited by backpackerchick on 10/10/2009 13:21:20 MDT.

Hart -

Canister adapter on 10/10/2009 13:32:55 MDT Print View

This is brilliant! So you can use the puncture canisters with a screw top stove? Like the little Snow Peak titanium that folds into the little white box. Do I have that right? I am going to look for one right now and then finally go out and PLAY.

Roger Caffin

Re: Nice Work on 10/10/2009 14:35:00 MDT Print View

Hi Hartley

> Basically seeking lightweight versions of traditional gear
With two people, a UL tent is no heavier than two tarps, bivy bags etc. We sleep under a quilt at home - what's different about using one in a tent? Pepsi can stoves ... ah well, I prefer a canister.

> Were you using the postal service a lot?
Didn't use it at all. No bounce boxes at all. No crampons either.

> Vegemite tubes?
:-) Nah, didn't bother. Went Continental.

Cheers

Roger Caffin

Re: Canister adapter on 10/10/2009 14:41:37 MDT Print View

> So you can use the puncture canisters with a screw top stove?
NO!!!
I have used the puncture canisters in the past, and I found them rather unsafe. I had one leak inside my pack for a while - I was wondering what that hissing noise behind my head was ... Stank the pack out a bit too. I won't touch them any more.

The French canisters I was using are of the 'Twist-Clik' style. The same as the screw-thread canisters in shape and size except there is a different Lindal Valve fitted: no screw-thread.

> the little Snow Peak titanium that folds into the little white box
Yep - the GST-100 (or the GS-100). The Vargo Jet-Ti is almost identical (different pot supports) and is available from the BPL shop:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/vargo_jet_ti_stove.html

Cheers

Hart -

MacPac on 10/10/2009 14:42:33 MDT Print View

Roger:

Shocked someone suggested that your wife give up her MacPac pack for a couple pounds. Amazing to see these on baggage carousels worldwide and on the trail -- in the color schemes of 10-15 years ago.

BTW, do you know if Fairydown went out of business?

I love these brands in general (gave up on the MacPac Microlight tent -- could be a user issue -- though). I love getting questions about my Fairydown items. Fairydown sounds very funny in American. People think they are patches I sewed on my gaiters to be funny.

Edited by backpackerchick on 10/10/2009 14:51:55 MDT.

Roger Caffin

Re: MacPac on 10/10/2009 17:58:36 MDT Print View

Hi Hartley

Fairydown did go out of business effectively, but the brand was bought up by the same guy who has bought out the Macpac brand after the suits made a complete hash of it. You will find the brand on the Macpac web site now.

The microlight ... yeah, well, good fabric but the single long pole is hardly very stable.

The Torre - well, it isn't the bag itself my wife likes but the harness the hipbelt and back padding and shoulder straps. She agrees it is heavy. I don't think she is greatly fussed about the colour either way. It doesn't affect the load-carrying.

Cheers

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Lightweight Gear for Long Distance Hiking: Four Months in Europe on 10/10/2009 18:17:52 MDT Print View

"The microlight ... yeah, well, good fabric but the single long pole is hardly very stable."
If nothing else, the new version (in silnylon) is about 400g lighter
Franco

Hart -

Microlight on 10/10/2009 18:33:41 MDT Print View

I gave up on it. Some pretty experienced people use this tent in some pretty iffy conditions. It DOES have a really low profile. Even I can't sit up in it. Some people cram two into it. CULT following. Franco, do you use it?

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Fairydown on 10/10/2009 19:21:08 MDT Print View

There's been a real shakedown in the NZ outdoor gear scene in the last few years. A bit of googling will reveal the tangled web:)

I still see Fairydown branded stuff in the Macpac shops. Last year I got a 9oz down jacket for NZ$ 99 and some cheap carbon fiber walking polls, which after some MYOG handles are fairly light. I always thought FD gear, especially the sleeping bags, was pretty good.

I also still have one item of gear made here in New Zealand - a big down jacket I use for round town use.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Lightweight Gear for Long Distance Hiking: Four Months in Europe on 10/10/2009 21:28:27 MDT Print View

Do I use the Microlite ????
I play with a lot of tents but only use Tarptents. (well, almost)
One of them is the Not So Micro But Light ( aka Rainbow)
The Microlite feels too small for me. I am only 5'7" but my head touches the inner once it is closed up. I will not die from that but prefer some extra space.
I would buy the TT Moment now as a 3+ solo tent.

Curiously when Macpac took over Fairydown, they did not get hold of their tents (designs/patents) . Somehow all traces of them had disappeared.
Franco

Hart -

Hubba HP on 10/10/2009 22:39:56 MDT Print View

I have a late MSR Hubba HP with very low mileage. Almost 3+ seasons? Find it sturdier than the Microlight -- with my tent skills -- it's also bigger and I can sit up in it. Not advanced enough for the tarp yet. LOL.

4 season solo? I have a Bibler I-tent. Is it really worth having a 4 season solo tent -- presumably you want to be able to hole up in there for a while.

In case you can't tell, I'm not very light yet but trying to lose weight!

Edited by backpackerchick on 10/10/2009 22:49:00 MDT.

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle
Re: Microlight on 10/10/2009 23:29:11 MDT Print View

The MacPac Microlight is one of the solo tents of choice by the locals in SW Tasmania, while it has condensation problems and is not suitable for heavy snow, it can handle strong winds and heavy rain.

Tony

Willem Jongman
(willem) - F - M
adaptor for cannisters on 10/11/2009 04:07:24 MDT Print View

Roger, which adapter are you using to use the Camping Gaz valved cannisters on a Primus/Snowpeak etc stove? The Markill adapter that I know is listed as 75 gram. I know the Primus etc cannisters are virtually impossible to get in France. But France is so nice... The MSR multivalve stove has had a mixed reception. There is apparantly also a new Primus multistandard stove. But an adapter allows for a far wider stove choice, of course.

Roger Caffin

Re: adaptor for cannisters on 10/11/2009 04:46:41 MDT Print View

Hi Willem

Well ... it's one I made myself. Designing and making canister stoves from scratch seems to be my latest MYOG thing. :-) You may remember this pic appeared some time ago on one of the Forum channels:
Field test of Snow Peak 23

I took this stove to Switzerland this year for 6 weeks. It worked OK, and uses the multi-canister adaptor. There is a safety valve in the adapter on the canister which actually opens and closes the Lindal valve, and a control valve right behind the jet for instant fine control of the flame.

But the design of the stove shown here is not what I am aiming at, as it uses a Snow Peak burner. My goal is to make a remote canister liquid-feed stove entirely from raw materials. I just haven't finished refining the design yet. Mind you, I have had to learnt an awful lot about how these things work inside in the process.

Cheers
PS: I think you mean Powermax, not Primus?

Willem Jongman
(willem) - F - M
primus on 10/11/2009 05:05:10 MDT Print View

No I mean Primus, i.e. the normal valved cannister one finds everywhere else.

Chris Townsend
(Christownsend) - MLife

Locale: Cairngorms National Park
MSR Superfly stove on 10/11/2009 06:42:32 MDT Print View

"The MSR multivalve stove has had a mixed reception." Willem, I didn't know that! I've had an MSR Superfly for many years and it has always worked well. As it's not the lightest stove I only use it on European hikes where I can't be sure of finding Lindahl valve canisters. I last used it on the GR20 on Corsica (a highly recommended route) where Campingaz CV canisters where the only ones available.

Patagonia Community
(PatagoniaCommunity) - F
BPL Newbie on 12/28/2009 22:19:54 MST Print View

Just stumbled upon BPL and have enjoyed reading insights from folks out there. I love the "shelf-life" of forum boards--this one started in 2007--wow!