Zpacks Hexamid --polycro bathtub floor?
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Another Option on 02/17/2013 18:34:13 MST Print View

Here are a couple of pictures of sailing tape with washer grommet details from the polycryo tarps I make.corner tie out 1corner tie out 2tarp with ends

Will, the tape is good reinforcement at a punched out hole, but I still think you're better off melting the holes through. The polycryo will hold, even if the tape lets go.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Zpacks Hexamid --polycro bathtub floor? on 02/17/2013 20:19:26 MST Print View

I appreciate the info here as I have a netless, beakless solo ordered. A change from my floorless TT Squall. I'll continue to use a polycryo gc, sounds like I'll be using it the same as I have been for my Squall, small rocks, sticks on the gc perimeter. For bug protection and my fall back plan for avoiding a wet bag is a cuben bivy with full noseeum top on order.
All you have been keeping your gear dry for your short bping life, there is hope yet to get wet or some gear wet.:)
Duane

francis siracusa
(fsiracusa) - MLife

Locale: Northeast
Hexamid bathtub on 02/18/2013 09:23:04 MST Print View

I've got a Twinn and use a Tyvek sheet that I have glued up into a bathtub style edge that most of the time is pretty structural. A little heavier but durable, cheap. I have had the rain wicking down the mesh at the edge problem in hard rain get my bag wet.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
dwr on 02/18/2013 10:43:04 MST Print View

Hi John I've no debate that the bag can pool water on it but more the real world use of "5to8 hours laying in a small pool of water on the floor of the tent" that you stated I'm assuming also that someone is in the bag during that 5-8 hrs. I would never allow my bag to lay in a puddle of water on a trip nor depend on a dwr. I'm from the school of you don't get your bag wet you do everything you can to keep it dry. Many mornings are to wet or damp to dry a bag, combine that within a humid area you are traveling in and good luck keeping any loft in a bag. There is a big difference of water pooling on a bag and a bag rubbing up against something wet or laying in a bag in a puddle. Sorry for the thread drift

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Zpacks Hexamid --polycro bathtub floor? on 02/18/2013 17:39:25 MST Print View

The Hexamids are tarps. Most tarping people don't use bathtub floors, just a groundsheet or waterproof foam mat.

I have a Hexamid and usually just use a foam mat. I have a zPacks poncho/groundsheet, which is primarily rain gear. Sometimes I use it as a groundsheet if I am expecting a lot of rain and that saves the weight of a groundsheet.