Forum Index » Gear Swap » FS: Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2

Display Avatars Sort By:
John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Locale: The SouthWest
FS: Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 on 02/16/2013 17:02:44 MST Print View

EDIT: Tent is sold!

I'm selling my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. I purchased this tent new in January 2012 and have used it for about 15 nights. The tent is in good shape and has no holes or tears - it has kept me dry in several rain storms. The floor of the inner shows a little bit of dirt from general use; and there are about 4 small red marks on the bottom floor of the inner (I think I set up on some berries - see bottom of post for pics). The tent has been stored hanging uncompressed in a smoke-free home.

I have made a few small modifications to this tent which I think improved it:

1. I replaced all the standard guylines and cordage with some 1mm Oware tarp cord (http://shop.bivysack.com/product.sc?productId=44). This line is very strong and holds a tautline well. You can use your own line if you want.
2. I cut off all the tags (I think there were two).
3. I removed part of the mitten hooks used in attaching the inner tent walls to the fly to make it roomier. This makes it easier to hook the loop once in the inner while still keeping it secured (see picture below).
mit_clip
4. I added seam sealant to the bottom side pullouts for extra strength (see picture below). The rest of the pullouts seemed plenty strong so I left them alone.
seam_seal

I believe those are all the modifications I made. What is included in this sale is everything but the stakes (inner tent and fly + stuff sack, poles + stuff sack, and repair sleeve):

package

The weights for my tent are:

Inner: 13.8 oz
Fly: 11.5 oz
Poles: 10.4 oz
Poles stuff sack: 0.3 oz
Body stuff sack: 0.5 oz
Repair sleeve: 0.4 oz
Total: 36.9 oz

EDIT: Tent is sold! I'd like to get $160 shipped CONUS for it. Please PM me if you have any questions!

In addition to the above, I made a little "y-connector" out of some guyline and washers which enable the fly to be set up first by itself. This is very useful for when it is raining or when pitching it in high winds. This addition which I'll include weighs 0.4 oz and folds up small. Here's how it works:

Take the y-connector:
yconnector

Unfold it and put the tips of the poles into the washers:pole_yconnector

Stake down the 3 ends like this:
stake

Now your pole structure is set and staked! And now secure the fly over the poles and to the stakes so it can't blow away:
secure
fly_stakes

Then stake out the remaining fly pullout points:
remaining

This leaves you with a good amount of floor space to take refuge under:
refuge

Then you just clip in and secure your inner like normal, but while keeping it dry under the fly:
inner

And you're left with a fully-pitched taut tent:
taut

Here is a picture of the red stains on the tent floor:
red_stains

Edited by johnnyh88 on 02/16/2013 21:16:25 MST.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
Re "FS: Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2" on 02/16/2013 18:02:09 MST Print View

I happen to have a BAFC2 already but I wanted to say your Y connector idea is brilliant. Much lighter option than the footprint.

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

Re "FS: Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2" on 02/16/2013 20:44:27 MST Print View

Thanks! It took me a bit of fiddling to get the tensioning of the poles just right, but it wasn't too bad.

Edward Barton
(edwardalbarton) - F
Awesome idea! on 02/17/2013 15:11:50 MST Print View

I'm so glad you posted this. I want to try converting my own tent into a tarp. You should post this in the relevant forums too so more people will see it. Cheers!

John Harper
(johnnyh88) - M

re: Awesome idea! on 02/17/2013 16:52:22 MST Print View

Thanks, good idea. I updated the thread I originally started:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=59825&skip_to_post=627775#627775