Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Wild Things Power Stretch Hoody
Display Avatars Sort By:
Antonio Abad
(tonyabad) - F
Wild Things Power Stretch Hoody on 04/17/2007 20:55:59 MDT Print View

I just came across this item:

http://www.wildthingsgear.com/pshoody.html

It looks perfect for me for the colder months. I, like others, missed the boat on the Smartwool Hoody. This looks like a nice substitute. Anyone have experience with it? I assume its a warmer base layer than the Smartwool Hoody. In lieu of a terrible review, I think that I'm sold on it.

Graham Williams
(crackers) - F
Re: Wild Things Power Stretch Hoody on 04/18/2007 09:23:40 MDT Print View

You might be interested in checking out the Ragged Mountain variant:

http://www.raggedmountain.com/proddetail.php?prod=102532&cat=181

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Re: Wild Things Power Stretch Hoody vs Ragged Mountain on 04/18/2007 09:35:45 MDT Print View

Antonio,

Thanks for the reminder about that. I haven't actually used a WT, but had seen them in the past and simply forgotten about their hoody offering. Thanks for putting it back on my radar.

Graham,

Wow... that's one slick looking hoody... That might actually nudge out the Patagonia R1 Hoody in my potential fleece jackets list... not sure I'd use the "crotch strap" though...

Edited by jdmitch on 04/18/2007 09:46:25 MDT.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
R1 alternatives on 04/18/2007 10:21:55 MDT Print View

Wonder what the Ragged Mtn. hoody weighs. This does look almost as good as the R! although lacking some of the latters technical finesse ( offset zipper, etc.).
The RM garment has one big advantage---it's seemingly available now.

THe WT hoody is too basic---no zippers.

Update---
Just found out---the Rugged Mtn. hoody weighs in at 16 oz. in a Men's L. It's made of Polar Tec Powerstretch as opposed to the Patagonia R1 which is made of Polartec Power Dry. I like the latter for it's superior wickability due to it's bi-component construction and I believe it's a little lighter fabric. Powerstretch is well, more stretchable.

Edited by kdesign on 04/18/2007 13:31:48 MDT.

Joshua Gilbert
(joshcgil2) - F

Locale: Seattle
ragged mountain hoody on 04/18/2007 11:08:25 MDT Print View

I used to live in upstate new york, but I'd totally forgotten about ragged mountain. they are a great company, really high quality stuff, and reasonably economical to boot, especially for made in usa stuff.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Re: R1 alternatives on 04/18/2007 14:04:25 MDT Print View

"It's made of Polar Tec Powerstretch as opposed to the Patagonia R1 which is made of Polartec Power Dry. I like the latter for it's superior wickability due to it's bi-component construction and I believe it's a little lighter fabric. Powerstretch is well, more stretchable."

I was going to made some snide comment, but am afraid it's going to come across horribly rude (It's been a really rough day at work) rather than than humorous as I meant it too be.

Anyhow, I think you've hit the pros / cons pretty well. The one thing that I like about what I see in the Ragged Mountain Hoody is that it's FULL zip as opposed to he half zip R1 (if memory serves, which is easily may be wrong). I like full zips (though a full zip with the offset zipper would be awefully nice)

Graham Williams
(crackers) - F
Re: Ragged... on 04/19/2007 07:29:31 MDT Print View

I'm not promising anything, but you might, just might, be able to get Ragged to make one/some in Power Dry if they run stock in Power Dry. They're a boutique operation, so it might be worth asking.

good luck.