Forum Index » Pre-Trip Planning » April Hikes (West Coast or NE)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Max B
(mxbenson)

Locale: PNW
April Hikes (West Coast or NE) on 02/16/2013 14:46:54 MST Print View

It looks like I might have time for a week to two week long solo trip (maybe longer) in April and was wondering if there were any sugestions from the group. I'm in the PNW so most of the trails I can think of are still covered in snow at that time and while snow shoeing is fun a solid week or two of it is more than I'm up for.

Ideal locations are somewhere in the Northwest in general, or possibly the NE as I've got some connections out there too.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: April Hikes (West Coast or NE) on 02/16/2013 15:01:07 MST Print View

Coast of Olympic Peninsula? It's about 35 miles from Shi Shi to Rialto Beach which is all wilderness but maybe not long enough for you.

Or Lost Coast in Northern California - same problem, not really a 2 week hike

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Hikes in the East on 02/16/2013 15:13:45 MST Print View

Its not exactly the Northeast but how about a hike in Virginia? Should be nice weather there. Maybe cold at night but doable. You could do a section of the AT. I don't think the AT through PA is that exiting and if you went farther north into places like the White Mountains I'd worry about snow.

Its a completely different area but if you have 2 weeks why not go to the Southwest?

Edited by Cameron on 02/16/2013 15:25:19 MST.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Earth (mostly)
Re: Re: April Hikes (West Coast or NE) on 02/16/2013 15:22:48 MST Print View

35 miles from Shi Shi to Rialto Beach which is all wilderness

Could double back, take go in for a rest day at the camp near the Ozette Ranger Station, etc.. on the Olympic coast. We got away and had a pretty interesting time checking out the tide pools too. Your pace will be further dictated by headlands and tide tables. There were a few easy ropes to scale.