November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Roll top closure, Roll bottom closure
Display Avatars Sort By:
Green Thumb
Roll top closure, Roll bottom closure on 02/14/2013 18:39:21 MST Print View

I was thinking about how much I liked having bottom access to my old Lowe Alpine pack and realized that I haven't seen a UL pack with a bottom access. Zipper would add weight, but I was wondering during class today about adding a roll top style closure to the bottom of a pack. Have you seen something like this before? Thoughts? Ideas?

Ken T.
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: All up in there
Re: Roll top closure, Roll bottom closure on 02/14/2013 18:44:39 MST Print View

Would probably be heavier than a zipper. What about a UL panel loader?

Green Thumb
Zippers could work on 02/14/2013 18:57:07 MST Print View

I haven't compared the clips and extra fabric needed to do a roll bottom versus a zipper. I was also thinking about a zipper to make something like a panel loader.

Does anyone have numbers on comparing weight of a zipper versus a roll top? Thanks.

Colin Krusor

Locale: Northwest US
Zipper vs. Roll Top on 02/14/2013 19:09:02 MST Print View

A roll would almost certainly be heavier than just a zipper. A roll requires not only a certain amount of extra pack fabric, but also a stiffener and closure hardware. But a roll is stronger, more durable, and more water resistant than a zipper, and it affords you some pack volume flexibility. I can think of ways to make a pack with a roll top and roll bottom that opens up into a rectangular sheet (a groundsheet?).

Green Thumb
Oooh on 02/14/2013 19:13:06 MST Print View

Now that is a possibility. Make it dual use to compensate for the weight.