Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Roll top closure, Roll bottom closure
Display Avatars Sort By:
Green Thumb
(greenthumb)
Roll top closure, Roll bottom closure on 02/14/2013 18:39:21 MST Print View

I was thinking about how much I liked having bottom access to my old Lowe Alpine pack and realized that I haven't seen a UL pack with a bottom access. Zipper would add weight, but I was wondering during class today about adding a roll top style closure to the bottom of a pack. Have you seen something like this before? Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks.

Green.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Roll top closure, Roll bottom closure on 02/14/2013 18:44:39 MST Print View

Would probably be heavier than a zipper. What about a UL panel loader?

Green Thumb
(greenthumb)
Zippers could work on 02/14/2013 18:57:07 MST Print View

I haven't compared the clips and extra fabric needed to do a roll bottom versus a zipper. I was also thinking about a zipper to make something like a panel loader.

Does anyone have numbers on comparing weight of a zipper versus a roll top? Thanks.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Zipper vs. Roll Top on 02/14/2013 19:09:02 MST Print View

A roll would almost certainly be heavier than just a zipper. A roll requires not only a certain amount of extra pack fabric, but also a stiffener and closure hardware. But a roll is stronger, more durable, and more water resistant than a zipper, and it affords you some pack volume flexibility. I can think of ways to make a pack with a roll top and roll bottom that opens up into a rectangular sheet (a groundsheet?).

Green Thumb
(greenthumb)
Oooh on 02/14/2013 19:13:06 MST Print View

Now that is a possibility. Make it dual use to compensate for the weight.