Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Lost in blizzard, facing death, couple finds love

Display Avatars Sort By:
eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
Lost in blizzard, facing death, couple finds love on 02/14/2013 12:56:08 MST Print View

http://tinyurl.com/bxee9sf

full story at link

In training for a Rainier summit bid later in 2012, they decided to make the short trip worthwhile by loading up their packs. It would be a life-saving decision.

The back of the truck was packed with everything they needed for a climb up to base camp — summit jackets, summit boots, tents, food.

“We over-packed entirely for a three-hour snowshoe but we were dismally low on what we needed for a blizzard,” says Johnson.

“It was barely enough to survive with.”

“The mountain doesn’t discriminate. It takes whoever — the inexperienced, the young, the old, the experienced, anybody and anyone. It just doesn’t discriminate,” she says.

They will never travel without a stove to heat water, never without a tent for shelter. They will always leave more detailed plans of their trips, rather than saying “they’ll be in the mountains.”

Edited by bearbreeder on 02/14/2013 15:00:58 MST.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Lost in blizzard, facing death, couple finds love on 02/14/2013 14:01:32 MST Print View

Good story & advice, it would be educational to hear more of their adventure.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Lost in blizzard, facing death, couple finds love on 02/14/2013 14:08:54 MST Print View

Eric, can you rework the link, I can't copy it because it goes into my boarder. I wouldn't mind reading it.
Of course when I went to type this the URL was usable in the reply section.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Lost in blizzard, facing death, couple finds love on 02/14/2013 14:33:11 MST Print View

Story link

How about never travel without a map and compass? "unable to read their malfunctioning GPS"

Edited by topshot on 02/14/2013 14:38:55 MST.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
Re: Re: Lost in blizzard, facing death, couple finds love on 02/14/2013 15:02:56 MST Print View

did the tiny url trick ...

Michael Ray
(thaddeussmith)
Re: Re: Re: Lost in blizzard, facing death, couple finds love on 02/15/2013 11:21:33 MST Print View

Heh, I'm still not used to seeing this as I read through posts.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
IDIOTS!! on 02/15/2013 13:49:41 MST Print View

So they narrowly escaped freezing to death. Then he proposed. And she accepted.

How sad... to escape one trap, only to fall into another -- and a far more insidious one!

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
re: on 02/15/2013 13:54:58 MST Print View

Sexist