Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tarp Tent SS1 vs Duomid for Michigan Winter
Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: re: Michigan Winter on 02/14/2013 13:17:09 MST Print View

>and Stephen snores.

LOL. Me too, if I'm on my back. My wife usually sticks a snowball in my mouth.

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
Re: on 02/14/2013 13:21:53 MST Print View

Rog, I don't know what we're doing. I had originally been thinking the three of us could do your Tahq Falls to Superior route on skis, or a shoreline ramble out to Naomikong Point at Whitefish Bay. I'd also be open to going back to LSPP.

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Semi solid inner on 02/14/2013 13:29:09 MST Print View

The SS1 is every bit as strong as any pyramid and I will argue stronger due to the shorter unsupported spans and supported ends. In a snow event, the SS1 design guarantees crush free zones at your head and feet (and of course, middle) that pyramids do not. I do agree that it, like any pyramid, requires solid staking and a dome, like the Soulo, is easier to pitch on snow.

-H

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: on 02/14/2013 13:35:01 MST Print View

Ike is right I do a snore a bit, I do also like my own space but on 3 trips in the last 6 months I have shared with others which was not too bad.

Rog,

Shame you cannot make this trip, let me kwow when your free again.

Hi Travis,

My wife has not threatened me with a snow ball but did make me to get a sleep study done, luckily I dont have to wear that breathing device they use taht makes folk found like Darth Vadar

Normally I prefer to go on my trips at weekends so as to keep my holidays for going out West and back to Europe, but Ike has to work that weekend and I am at a Muse concert also.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Semi solid inner on 02/14/2013 13:35:50 MST Print View

Cheers Henry :-)

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 02/14/2013 13:43:20 MST Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 06/17/2013 19:53:37 MDT.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: Colorado Foothills
Tarp Tent SS1 vs Duomid for Michigan Winter on 02/14/2013 13:58:43 MST Print View

I need to stop reading this thread and any of Ike's trip reports. Serious cabin fever here. Tax accountant wife + young kid not compatible with winter backcountry trips. Roll on late April, hoping for a blizzard. Either that or I'm going to have to use my airmiles to go south of the equator this summer.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Tarp Tent SS1 vs Duomid for Michigan Winter on 02/14/2013 15:01:31 MST Print View

Rog,

Hopefully we will get out for another trip once hockey season is over :-)

Stuart,

A trip south of Equator in June might fit the bill.

Dana Sherry
(dsherry) - M

Locale: Mi Upper Peninsula
upcoming trip on 02/21/2013 06:22:01 MST Print View

Stephen and others;
Good to see trip plans happening. I am in Marquette, so if you need shuttles, trip partners or other logistical help, feel free to message me.
Good luck on trip plans.
Dana Sherry
dana.sherry@yahoo.com

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: upcoming trip on 02/21/2013 06:25:39 MST Print View

Hi Dana,

Thanks for that, it is much appreicated.

I will drop you a mail to say Hi.

Ron Bell
(mountainlaureldesigns) - F - M

Locale: USA
Re: Tarp Tent SS1 vs Duomid for Michigan Winter on 02/21/2013 07:22:55 MST Print View

Ok, since Henry threw in his 2cents I will too-

The Cuben Duomid is a Pyramid and has proven winter mystical healing and calming powers - the tarptent does not not ;-)Still Standing

Edited by mountainlaureldesigns on 02/21/2013 07:27:18 MST.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Tarp Tent SS1 vs Duomid for Michigan Winter on 02/21/2013 07:29:26 MST Print View

Cheers Ron :-)

I have since procurred a sil Trailstar to use as we dont get a whole lot of snow here, the most I have seen overnight is about 8inches, if the forecast was for more I would take a dome.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Tarp Tent SS1 vs Duomid for Michigan Winter on 02/21/2013 07:37:15 MST Print View

>The Cuben Duomid is a Pyramid and has proven winter mystical healing and calming powers

What I REALLY want is a shelter that has a beer waiting inside of it for me every time I enter it.

(a sub 2lb shelter for backpacking. The corner pub serves that purpose in the city)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tarp Tent SS1 vs Duomid for Michigan Winter on 02/21/2013 07:42:05 MST Print View

And a hot bath :-)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tarp Tent SS1 vs Duomid for Michigan Winter on 02/21/2013 08:24:35 MST Print View

Oooo, and a grilled burger.

And a hooker.

wait...no...nevermind

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tarp Tent SS1 vs Duomid for Michigan Winter on 02/21/2013 12:35:03 MST Print View

Let me first say that I love the DuoMid. I also love this picture.

Discount

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
re: discount tent on 02/21/2013 12:37:45 MST Print View

That's just awful, but kind of funny anyway.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: re: discount tent on 02/21/2013 12:45:27 MST Print View

It is indeed Ike.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Tarp Tent SS1 vs Duomid for Michigan Winter on 02/21/2013 14:35:18 MST Print View

"The Cuben Duomid is a Pyramid and has proven winter mystical healing and calming powers - the tarptent does not not ;-)"
Yes , some have commented about snow clinging to Cuben, I can see what they meant now.
Would keep you nice and warm inside .