Forum Index » GEAR » Help Choosing a Knife?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
U.S. steel on 02/14/2013 20:19:38 MST Print View

Scandinavia has earned and deserves a lot of love for the quality of steel they produce. My wish list from that part of the world is pretty long.

If you are interested in giving an American company your business who is as good if not better than what you can find in Europe, give Benchmade's website a peruse. I have a few of their knives and I personally consider them to be the gold standard. No matter what I buy, my reaction is always "not bad but not as good as my Benchmade."

Not sure what you concern is with folders but for weight purposes it's nice not having to deal with a sheath. I like them as I can keep them in my pocket and reduce the chances of becoming separated from it. I can't stand having a knife hanging around my neck. I have a cheapie 3" Schrade folding knife (U.S. based/made in Ireland) which holds an edge wonderfully and only weighs 1.1 oz.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: knife on 02/14/2013 22:32:48 MST Print View

I am a big fan of the sog seal pup. It's 5.5 oz, but you get a lot of blade for the weight.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Small knife = big *&^%$ on 02/14/2013 23:50:40 MST Print View

The OP said he's looking for 1-1.5 inch blade. And not for fighting bears.

Swiss Army Classic.

Okay, he also said Titanium and long handle, but I'd argue with only a 1.4 inch blade, you don't need any more handle. I never have. And what is the magic of titanium? Stainless steel is also rustproof.

21 grams is less than 100-120 grams for a long fixed blade (and sometimes those weights don't include the needed sheath).

And a Classic has a nail file, tweezers, and scissors (really handy for repairing gear, trimming moleskin, finger- and toe-nails, nose hairs after a month out, etc).

I can make a fuzz stick with it, get into a vac-pack bag, cut cordage, and make minor kindling.

If you have a wood-buring stove, ignore this idea - you need something bigger.

If you don't and can't find one for $6, PM me, I buy lots of 6 at a time from TSA seizures.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Small knife = big *&^%$ on 02/15/2013 00:03:31 MST Print View

You so kindly indicate that the responses have been for knives which do not fit into what the OP has asked for and then proceed to provide a solution that doesn't fit into what the OP wanted either (no folding blade). I guess he can add another response to that list.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Small knife = a possible option on 02/15/2013 03:20:54 MST Print View

Yeah, I know it's outside his parameters. Having gone from a medium blade to small myself (in part due to posts on BPL about Classics on down to single-bladed razor blades), I thought I'd throw it out there for his consideration.

I do some trips on which I bring more knife than that, but when cooking with butane, filleting no fish, and butchering no critters, those 21 grams are about right for me.

But this discussion does have me thinking about some little saws (14 grams) I was making for people burning wood - maybe I could sharpen the spine and make it a medium knife AND a saw.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: Help Choosing a Knife? on 02/15/2013 09:06:03 MST Print View

I've been eyeing a ESEE Izula as a more substantial knife. They have an even smaller model, the ESEE Candiru. Also take a look at CRKT's Ritter RSK Mk5.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Small knife = a possible option on 02/15/2013 09:28:39 MST Print View

I think it is the only solution as I am not aware of any fixed blades that are that small.

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Small knife = a possible option on 02/15/2013 10:48:44 MST Print View

The ESEE Candiru appears to be the closest match to the OP's request.

Specs per ESEE

O.A Length: 5.13"
Cutting Edge Length: 2.0"
Maximum Thickness: .125"
Weight: 1.7 Ounces (Knife Only)
1095 Steel - 55-57 Rc.
Textured Powder Coat Finish
Serialized
Skeletonized Handle
Cordura Sheath
Available Knife Colors: Black, Desert Tan, OD

I suspect this knife will hit the 2 oz mark once you add the cordura sheath. My schrade folding knife with locking blade compares well with this knife at 1.1 oz; obviously no sheath is necessary. The ESEE Candiru is probably a better quality tool though.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Help Choosing a Knife? on 02/15/2013 11:37:46 MST Print View

Buck Hartshook

Bos S30v, too small to do any damage, fixed. ~1oz with kydex.

...sounds like you want 'barely a knife' and that what this is

robert van putten
(Bawana) - F

Locale: Planet Bob
small blade big handle on 02/15/2013 15:32:27 MST Print View

Uh, small blade big handle, lets see -

Cold steel has the "super edge" said to weight .8 ounce.

super edge

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/42SS/SUPER_EDGE.aspx

The handle is shorter than you asked for but looks quite secure. The weight sure is nice.

The Pendleton Lite from the same company looks like a great knife to me -Pendleton Lite

This puppy is 2.7 ounces with a nice handle and sturdy 3-5/8ths blade.
I might have to get one myself...

I own and use the Cold Steel Roach belly ( 2.6 ounces ) the Finn Bear ( 2.8 ounces and great for batoning wood ).

I have yet to try their Canadian belt knife which is listed as 2.2 ounces.

I also own and use several of the Mora knives from Ragweed Forge.
Great knives, if you like the Scandinavian grind.

I prefer the Mora blades for dressing and butchering meat ( which I do quite allot of ) and the double bevel blades for wood craft.

Bob Shaver
(rshaver) - F

Locale: West
another vote on 02/15/2013 16:13:12 MST Print View

I won't tell you my favorite, but it starts with M, and ends with A, and rhymes with "Dora." Here is some more information on this useful knife

http://backpackingtechnology.com/knives/the-mora-knife-of-sweden/

the Ragweed site has lots of nice looking Mora type knives, some with very short blades.

If you want a show knife, try Chris Reeve knifes. $400 to $800, titanium handled folders.

Bob Shaver
(rshaver) - F

Locale: West
sharpening a Mora on 02/15/2013 16:30:55 MST Print View

I would recommend against putting a different edge on a Mora knife than the shape it comes with. The edge is called a Scandi grind (Scandinavian), and is formed of two perfect planes that come together. It is very sharp out of the box, and easy to sharpen. You just hone both sides at the same angle as they are made, and you'll have a super sharp edge. I put black magic marker on the bevel that is about 1/4 inch wide, and use stones to grind away on the bevel, and observe the magic marker to make sure I'm grinding the angle truely. You move metal off the whole bevel, not just the edge as in most knives. Its foolproof that way, and you have the same angle as it came from the factory.

Edited by rshaver on 02/20/2013 10:38:13 MST.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Candiru on 02/15/2013 17:03:00 MST Print View

as soon as they make a orange Candiru it will be my new hiking knife, until then my portly orange Izula will have to do :)

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Candiru on 02/15/2013 21:03:26 MST Print View

Mike,

It does look like orange scales are already made for the Candiru.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: Re: Candiru on 02/16/2013 08:59:36 MST Print View

yup- they have orange scales (and tan??)- I plan on using it sans scales (that's the way I use the Izula as well), for backpacking anyways. it's not in hand an overly long time- making fuzz sticks, cutting packaging, cleaning fish (occasional grouse in the fall), etc, so no need for scales- it's little lighter and lays flatter (which I find helps w/ neck carry)