Forum Index » GEAR » deflating sleeping pad

Display Avatars Sort By:
jeff soliven
(coffee666)

Locale: los angeles
deflating sleeping pad on 02/14/2013 02:36:04 MST Print View

i'm new to inflatable sleeping pads, i've been using closed cell foam. anyways, i got a big agnes insulated air core pad last weekend and finally got around to playing with it. i took it outside to try it out in the cold and it goes soft on me! i know that there isn't a leak because i'm laying on it right now and it's nice and firm. common knowledge is telling me that the cold air is slowing down the molecules inside.

firstly, is my theory correct? it's been a while since chem 151. secondly, how do i get around this? i did blow it up inside, where it's nice and warm.

Edited by coffee666 on 02/14/2013 02:39:33 MST.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: deflating sleeping pad on 02/14/2013 03:37:28 MST Print View

Yup, pretty much.

You can avoid that by inflating twice. Once when you set up camp. After it cools down blow it up again with a couple breaths of air.

In cold weather, don't be afraid to blow it up firmly the first time. It will loose pressure as it cools. Later on, you might not want to blow it up quite as firm. I have not heard of the newer ones delaminating, but it could still happen.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Yes on 02/14/2013 08:56:47 MST Print View

Cold air compresses, warm air expands. Very basic physics. Don't worry about it, but be mindful that if you fill it to capacity in 0ยบ temperatures and then bring it inside your living room, you could pop it.

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Pump Bag on 02/14/2013 08:58:55 MST Print View

You can also make/buy a pump bag for it. By pumping in ambient air, you won't notice the shrink as much, and also no humidity from your lungs to funk up the inside. They also make pumps that use foam like in self inflating pads.

jeff soliven
(coffee666)

Locale: los angeles
sleeping pads on 02/14/2013 14:37:00 MST Print View

thanks guys. think i'll be bring the foam pad when i go out 'til i get the hang of inflatable pads.