Forum Index » GEAR » Wood Burning Stove Options

Display Avatars Sort By:
Andy Anderson
(ianders) - F

Locale: Southeast
Wood Burning Stove Options on 02/13/2013 09:48:07 MST Print View

I'm thinking about getting a wood burning stove to play around with. What area my options for inexpensive stoves? Are there any good MYOG designs out there?

brent driggers
(cadyak) - MLife

Locale: southwest georgia
Micro-Woodstoves on 02/13/2013 09:59:07 MST Print View

Hey Andy,
I make several different stainless single walled stoves that nest inside many popular backpacking pots. I have owned and made many double walled stoves but I prefer single for the lightness and the capability for larger fire boxes.
My woodstoves all will easily boil their prospective pots with a single load of wood when lit from the top. Both Esbit and alcohol work very well with this type of stove body.
Using stainless mugs can be a MYOG project for you but step bits are pretty expensive and dont last long.

A double walled paint can woodstove is a nice MYOG project that doesnt require nearly as much work and they work great. typically the finished product will be 4 to 5 oz
http://www.instructables.com/id/Woodgas-Can-Stove/

the stove shown below is one of my stoves sized to nest in the SP600. weight as shown is 2.85 oz. I also make them to fit in the MSR TITAN KETTLE, the TOAKS 550ml pot form Litetrail, and several others in different sizes and shapes.

Stainless is extremely hard to work with but will last a lifetime. I have many stoves that have had several hundred fires in them with no corrosion, rust, etc.

sp1

sp2

sp3

Edited by cadyak on 02/13/2013 11:33:27 MST.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Re on 02/13/2013 10:15:47 MST Print View

You can always get an esbit stove, or build one, and throw little twigs in the flame area to add extra heat if you get low on esbit.

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Wood Burning Stove Options on 02/13/2013 10:18:00 MST Print View

Andy, what kind of pot do you want to use? I make a single-wall wood stove from titanium or stainless steel to fit Foster's beer can pots or similar.wood stovewood stove 2

brent driggers
(cadyak) - MLife

Locale: southwest georgia
neat on 02/13/2013 10:37:39 MST Print View

David, that looks cool and superlight. Is that bottom picture showing the wood burning setup? Got any videos of how it behaves loaded with wood and a pot on top?
the firebox looks plenty big.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Inexpensive Wood Burning Stove on 02/13/2013 11:13:28 MST Print View

Andy,

I was in the same boat in that I wanted to try a wood burner without dropping a lot of money. I found the Antig Outdoors Woodlore Stove to be the answer. It's $24.99 and fits perfectly (in its stuff sack) inside my 1L Evernew Ti Pasta Pot.

For a cheap wood stove to try I don't think it can be beat.

David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: neat on 02/13/2013 11:27:31 MST Print View

Brent,

Yes, the bottom photo shows the wood burning set up.

Weight for Ti is 22.1 g cone + 8 g base sheet + 8.2 g stakes = 38.3 g (1.37 oz)

Weight for SS is 24.6 g + 8.3 g base sheet + 9.7 g stakes = 42.6 g (1.52 oz)

No videos, but here are a couple of photos of it in action.

Davidwoodwood 2

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
diy on 02/13/2013 12:04:21 MST Print View

this was super simple to make. only required a dremel tool and a soup can...diy wood stove

it can even cook spam!spam!wood stove profilewood stove top view

i'd suggest diy just to be sure you want to go through the trouble of building a little fire in the evening and in the am if you want coffee.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Wood Burning Stove Options on 02/13/2013 12:46:56 MST Print View

Four Dog Stove Bushcooker LT 1

Multi use fuel with alcohol, esbit tabs and wood. This titanium stove comes in at 2.2oz.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: Wood Burning Stove Options on 02/15/2013 22:58:32 MST Print View

Jay,

I've head of the FourDog before, but I've not seen one in person. It's a double wall stove, yes?

And what is that object off to the left? Is it a detachable bottom? And you can put alcohol or ESBIT in it?

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Greg Pehrson
(GregPehrson) - MLife

Locale: playa del caballo blanco
Re: Re: Wood Burning Stove Options on 02/16/2013 07:52:05 MST Print View

Also check this thread, the $3 IKEA woodstove:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=27176&disable_pagination=1

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Cone clones on 02/16/2013 12:05:25 MST Print View

I own a Trail Designs Sidewinder ti stove with the Inferno woodburning inner kit.

One could not do any better than to copy that design with some hardware screening and sheet ti from Titanium Goat.

The Caldera Cones get their great efficiency from the tight fit of pot-to-stove.
I don't know of any other stoves that are as fuel efficient.

Yes, the Bush Buddy may BURN fuel a bit more efficiently but they lose much of that heat to the atmosphere due to the gap between pot and stove. Also the BB stoves must be constantly fed fuel due to their small opening for wood. Not so withthe Tri Ti and Sidewinder stoves.