Forum Index » GEAR » CA - Thinning Silicone with Klean Strip Odorless Mineral Spirits Problem

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: CA - Thinning Silicone with Klean Strip Odorless Mineral Spirits Problem on 02/13/2013 18:49:13 MST Print View

"Curious :Have you ever seam sealed a tent at both 45f 30% humidity and 90f 80% humidity and all sorts of in between combinations ?"

I have used that product at work at all of those conditions, yes. When it is cold,-50f, I put the tube in my pocket for a while before I use. Other than that, no problems. Last two shelters I did do in the house because there is no odor with the Permatex and it is more comfortable inside.

I'll stop with the drift on this thread. Though all of the information does pertain to the actual task of sealing seams. Might be helpful.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Franco, on 02/13/2013 19:10:29 MST Print View

If I understand you correctly, the thinner soup makes for faster application. That makes sense to me.

The part about different consistencies for different parts of the tent kind of lost me though.

Sam

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
White gas composition on 02/13/2013 20:19:04 MST Print View

I did a quick search on google and found the following:

"Camp Stove fuel (Coleman Fuel, Calumet Lantern Fuel) - contains components that are much less volatile than gasoline (such as naphtha). Coleman fuel contains about 50% naphtha, 50% aliphatic petroleum distillates, 2% xylene, 2% toluene, 0.5% benzene, "

Xylene, toluene, and benzene, are probably all missing from Klean Strip green Odorless Mineral Spirits. Xylene and toluene are often used as solvents according to wikipedia.

Naphtha according to wikipedia contains:

In petroleum engineering, full range naphtha is defined as the fraction of hydrocarbons in petroleum boiling between 30 °C and 200 °C.[1] It consists of a complex mixture of hydrocarbon molecules generally having between 5 and 12 carbon atoms. It typically constitutes 15–30% of crude oil, by weight. Light naphtha is the fraction boiling between 30 °C and 90 °C and consists of molecules with 5–6 carbon atoms. Heavy naphtha boils between 90 °C and 200 °C and consists of molecules with 6–12 carbons.

So white gas probably has some Hexane in it as well as many other hydrocarbons that may have solvent properties similar to Hexane, toluene, and Xylene. So much of what was useful in ordinary Mineral Spirits for disolving Silicon rubber are probably not present in significant quantities in the Klean Strip green oderless mineral spirits. White gas however does have them although probably not in the same quantities as in standard mineral spirits. So white gas is probably the best option in California.

I tried Klean Strip a year ago and didn't get good results but at the time I thought that my mix might not have be right. I'll have to give it another try but with white gas.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Thinning Silicone on 02/13/2013 22:42:27 MST Print View

Hi Ken

> 1. Thinning silicone resin with mineral spirits or anything else weakens the cured
> resin because the slurry structure interferes with the resin forming long polimer
> strings as it cures.
That's what I found too.

> 2. If you want thinner silicone sealant, buy a thinner silicone sealant. It will be
> a unitary formulation containing no thinners, just a thinner formula of resin.
Best advice.

> 3. I just cut the end of the applicator as small as possible, squeezed out a bead
> onto the seam and smoothed it out with the index finger of my other hand.
Good advice.

But getting all this from a knowledgeable vendor rather than from users just experimenting is very good info - thanks.

Cheers

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: CA - Thinning Silicone with Klean Strip Odorless Mineral Spirits Problem on 02/13/2013 22:52:49 MST Print View

> (Permatex 44ml $6.95, Selleys 300ml $8.95)
Well, yes, but the initial costs are not really relevant in my experience.

What I found was that a tube of something like Permatex (or several other brands of sealants sold in small squeeze tubes) lasts for years - literally. It does not go off. Cap the end, come back in 6 months, it's fine. I might lose a tiny plug 5 -10 mm long in the nozzle: that's all. But the stuff cures very well in the open.

The stuff in cartridges goes off in a month or two after I have opened the cartridge, no matter how carefully I try to seal the end. I have tried several brands, and they all end up as solid blocks. That ends up more expensive and very frustrating.

If you can use the cartridge up in a few weeks then it may be cheaper, although I don't think it bonds as well to silnylon fabric. The runny sealants found in those little tubes seem to work much better for me.

What I can add as a fact is that there really are hundreds (if not more) of formulations of 'silicone'. All are different.

Cheers

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: CA - Thinning Silicone with Klean Strip Odorless Mineral Spirits Problem on 02/14/2013 19:37:55 MST Print View

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
thinning silicone on 02/14/2013 20:21:05 MST Print View

In the event silicone does dissolve in the Hexane or Toluene, please note that there are small respirator masks that are very good at filtering out volatile organics. They seal with rubber over the mouth and nose. When redoing a handyman special home in the 1980's, I bought a Mine Safety Appliance Company (Pittsburg PA) mask with two screw-on cartridge filters, and used it when applying coats of polyurethane varnish to floors and other noxious tasks. It completely removed the odor of the PU, and I did not experience any of the dizziness and disorientation previously felt when applying PU indoors. Still use it and reinstalled a couple of new cartridges recently. One of the best investments I ever made.

I highly recommend a product like this for experimenting with or using VOCs that emit highly toxic vapors. For myself, I'd prefer not to use them at all, and not having to do a lot of sealing, there is no need.