November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Should I buy a Sony RX100 to replace my old Canon G5?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
Should I buy a Sony RX100 to replace my old Canon G5? on 02/12/2013 13:11:41 MST Print View

When I want to take decent pictures I've been taking my 12 oz Canon G5. The time has come to replace it and I've heard many wonderful things about the 8 oz Sony RX100. The price is slowly dropping ($569 last I looked), and I probably will replace it this Fall.

Do you think the RX100 is the current best choice to replace my old G5? I'm not a serious photographer by any means, but I'm willing to carry a heavier camera if it takes better pictures, and I understand how to use some advanced camera features.

Also, anyone have experience with the underwater case for the RX100 (Ikelite and maybe others)? It's still pretty expensive, $350 last I looked, more than I'm willing to spend, maybe the cost will come down or another manufacturer will make a less expensive case for it.

Yuri R
(Yazon) - F

Yes on 02/12/2013 20:39:47 MST Print View

no experience with underwater, but RX100 does seem to be the best all around compact!

Serge Giachetti
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
rx100 on 02/13/2013 00:15:25 MST Print View

I love my rx100. I'm continually amazed by the quality, and its a pleasure to shoot with. Very responsive. I hadn't used a point and shoot since 2005 and my first time using the rx100 felt like time travel. Don't know how they squeezed so much tech into such a small package.