Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Should I buy a Sony RX100 to replace my old Canon G5?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
Should I buy a Sony RX100 to replace my old Canon G5? on 02/12/2013 13:11:41 MST Print View

When I want to take decent pictures I've been taking my 12 oz Canon G5. The time has come to replace it and I've heard many wonderful things about the 8 oz Sony RX100. The price is slowly dropping ($569 last I looked), and I probably will replace it this Fall.

Do you think the RX100 is the current best choice to replace my old G5? I'm not a serious photographer by any means, but I'm willing to carry a heavier camera if it takes better pictures, and I understand how to use some advanced camera features.

Also, anyone have experience with the underwater case for the RX100 (Ikelite and maybe others)? It's still pretty expensive, $350 last I looked, more than I'm willing to spend, maybe the cost will come down or another manufacturer will make a less expensive case for it.

Yuri R
(Yazon) - F
Yes on 02/12/2013 20:39:47 MST Print View

no experience with underwater, but RX100 does seem to be the best all around compact!

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
rx100 on 02/13/2013 00:15:25 MST Print View

I love my rx100. I'm continually amazed by the quality, and its a pleasure to shoot with. Very responsive. I hadn't used a point and shoot since 2005 and my first time using the rx100 felt like time travel. Don't know how they squeezed so much tech into such a small package.