Forum Index » GEAR » Dri Down, Does it work?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Zachary SCOTT
(Zach)
Dri Down, Does it work? on 02/12/2013 10:21:40 MST Print View

So I recently saw a video on Sierra Designs Dri Down. Anybody have nay experience with the stuff? Seems like a cool concept but I am just wondering how resistent the clusters are to sweat and other moisture.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Dri Down, Does it work? on 02/12/2013 11:51:48 MST Print View

My question is, what happens to the "Dri" treatment after the item has been washed three or four times? Unless extensive tests have been done, it's going to be a number of years down the road (pun unintentional) before we know about this factor!

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Washing DWR treated down on 02/12/2013 12:16:55 MST Print View

Good question.

PRO> Down garments are usually not washed often, esp. down bags.

CON> DWR traditionally does not last long with repeated washings.

Sooo... are these Dri Down and Down Tech treatments longer lasting due either to their chemistry or deposition method, or both?

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Re: Dri Down, Does it work? on 02/12/2013 12:28:05 MST Print View

Richard N. did some testing and has some insight here:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=72030&startat=20

Summary: sounds like most of the DWR downs offer a pretty modest improvement, but Patagonia's Encapsil treatment is legit.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Dri-Down on 02/12/2013 12:34:28 MST Print View

Mary,

The treatment isn't a spray. it's a polymer that molecularly bonds to the surface. Washing should have little effect, but abrasion (feathers scraping on one another) might over time.

Contrary to popular belief, the feathers are NOT treated with DWR, or anything similar in quality to it.

I asked this question about five days ago. Apparently the verdict is still mostly out.

Edited by mdilthey on 02/12/2013 12:35:07 MST.

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Dri Down on 02/12/2013 15:34:15 MST Print View

I gave up trying to talk about this subject because people get the different types of down mixed up. The actual DriDown: http://www.dridown.com/
and Downtek: www.down-tek.com is a nano-tech application and are different from what Zpacks and other small companies are using from Allied which is a DWR treatment.

I've seen the "real" stuff in action and am quite impressed but I know nothing about what you are asking. There is not enough out yet so your digging and watching for info will be just as fast as anybody else's at this point.

I know BGT is supposed to get some gear this spring that is using it and they will be put to 4-month tests so at least some real-world long-term use will be taking place, we just need to wait for it.

Tom Lyons
(towaly) - F

Locale: Smoky Mtns.
slightly off topic on 02/12/2013 16:21:24 MST Print View

On this subject, I read online that the company Aeon Clad, which is the maker of Patagonia's Encapsil down, uses a "plasma" process, and can result in "1000 fill power" hydrophobic down.

I noticed that the recently announced ultra-lite 5.2 oz jacket by MontBell just happens to have "1000 fill power" down, and just happens to be called the "Plasma".
I'm thinking they might be using this Aeon Clad technologies with those kinds of "coincidences".

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: slightly off topic on 02/12/2013 18:15:16 MST Print View

Hi Tom,

This was talked about on another thread last week, I am sure if Montbell was using Dwr down they would be shouting it from the roof tops.

Hi all,

Anyway back on track, I received a gift of a Brooks Range Mojave Jacket last week which I will be testing out, I am slightly underwhelmed by the loft compared to another down Parka I have with the same amount of down (800 vs 900fp though).