Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Cuben Fiber 1.2oz Rain Pants
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Cuben Clothes on 09/23/2011 01:02:01 MDT Print View

I made some cuben rain pants using 1.2oz cuben which weigh about 1.9oz total. They work fairly good for what I want. For short periods of wearing, I toss them on over my hiking pants and they work like normal rain pants. For extended wear, they get clammy/sweaty due to the zero breathability so I ditch my hiking pants (too keep them dry) and then just wear these.

They're a nice thing to carry on trips where little to no rain is expected but I don't want to go sans rain gear.

Edited by dandydan on 09/25/2011 09:38:16 MDT.

Jesse H.
(tacedeous) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
arbor press on 09/23/2011 05:27:36 MDT Print View

just a lil fyi, I see a lot of these arbor presses marked up, I almost bought one for rivets, only to find a cheaper alternative... If you have the means to modify the ram and anvil accurately, look at buying the specialty dies and just buy the arbor press from harbor freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-arbor-press-3551.html

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Re: Re: Cuben Fiber 1.2oz Rain Pants on 09/23/2011 10:40:58 MDT Print View

Timothy and others,

First, it is nice to see the new activity on this old thread.

After I made these pants I was able to buy a really nice snap press second-hand from one of our members. In testing "I" found that kind of snap hard to open wearing glove liners, as when it is cold. I am thinking about making another pair of cuben pants and use small button size Velcro pieces.

All of my Cuben garments are first a Vapor Barrier Liner and second for rain. I don't always say that as most folks have no real idea how to wear or use a VBL item. I would prefer to wear the Cuben things next to my skin so any sweat doesn't get into my cloths. I do however, make sure I have venting options. I also think it is more comfortable sleeping in VBL cloths then using a VBL liner with a sleeping bag or quilt.

Edited by bfornshell on 09/23/2011 10:41:52 MDT.

William Bylund
(lhs2miler) - MLife
Re: Re: Cuben Fiber 1.2oz Rain Pants on 12/04/2011 08:21:23 MST Print View

I'd like to build these. How much is a snap tool cost? If too expensive, can I ship a pair to you to add the snaps?
Bill

Jim Leonard
(mxracer33x) - F

Locale: West Coast
Breathable Cuben Fiber on 12/05/2011 11:47:35 MST Print View

Has anyone tried makign a set of Pants out of the "Breathable" cuben fiber that zpacks offers?

http://www.zpacks.com/materials.shtml

Very pricey, and Im not sure how it would do for activewear, as compared to using it for bivys where the breathability woudln't have to be as much.