Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Black Diamond (Super) BBEE

Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Black Diamond (Super) BBEE on 02/11/2013 20:18:21 MST Print View

This is one bad little pack. From trail running to peak bagging to climbing to cycle commuting to work, I'm constantly amazed how much this little guy holds.

It's been lacking in the fast/light winter climbing/running category, so I added two daisy chains and some loops for my UL axe and crampons or microspikes.

Thayne N
(teethless) - MLife

Locale: SF CA
! on 02/11/2013 20:25:43 MST Print View

I like the mods! For the ice axe loop: how did you make the holes?

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: ! on 02/11/2013 20:31:05 MST Print View

Thanks.
I've seen the daisy chains on some climbing friends' BBEEs, so it's not my invention...

The holes in the pack body are stock; pretty sure they're there for a bike light.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Black Diamond (Super) BBEE on 02/11/2013 20:37:10 MST Print View

Good Craig. Simple and it works.
I bought one a while back and love it. The straps are actually long enough in the padded section to not feel like wearing a child's pack. It does hold a fair bit. Pretty bomber construction.

YAMABUSHI !
(THUNDERHORSE) - F
the old Bullet was designed like that! on 02/11/2013 21:17:00 MST Print View

I always thought the old Bullet was very well designed (shame they redesigned it), but great mods anyhow!

bdb

center

M L
(Ablaut) - F
Bbee luff on 02/12/2013 00:42:03 MST Print View

Love my Bbee, currently my favorite pack. I've had it for maybe a year now and used it for commutes on the bike, running, sometimes shopping and other city errands, and drag it all over on long Greyhound rides. Like Craig I'm always surprised at how much I'm able to stash in there. Very comfortable, zippers are so easy to use on the go especially 'cos it holds its form well. Definitely tough construction.

I like the mods! Did you reinforce the daisies on the inside? I could see trying something like that just to run some light shock cord to compress stuff and stash a shell.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Black Diamond (Super) BBEE on 02/12/2013 08:35:44 MST Print View

nice additions.
now if you just add an internal frame think how much more you'll be able to carry :-)

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - F - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Re: Black Diamond (Super) BBEE on 02/12/2013 08:59:46 MST Print View

Looks great Craig. Simple and should add lots of function. The red's pretty sexy as well...

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
Old bullet on 02/12/2013 09:06:49 MST Print View

Love it when my old kitchen floor shows up unexpectedly.

The only thing I don't like about the Bbee is the zipper. If it were a #8 (like the circa 2002 Bullet pictured above) and routed a bit differently it would run much smoother.

Note the contour of the side panel on the Bbee, which aids it staying anchored in your lumbar. Little things make big differences.

Craig, have you tried it with an axe? I found I have to angle my longer (70cm) one on the Bbee or it is perfectly positioned to hit me in the back of the head.

Edited by DaveC on 02/12/2013 09:08:20 MST.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Old bullet on 02/12/2013 09:15:45 MST Print View

I would only take this pack for lighter winter peakbagging/running so it's really for my shorty axe- aluminum CAMP XLA 210 in only 50cm.

At that length, I don't feel like the point is too close to my head, but I know what you're talking about Dave. Might just angle it towards a daisy chain anyway and hang microspikes or crampons off the top loop.