Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
thermometer
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Re: Thermometers on 02/17/2013 19:03:49 MST Print View

>"Could the probe thermometer double as a fever thermometer?

Easy enough to check at home. Take your temperature throughout the day with your probe thermometer. If is it within a range of 1.5F, that's great - your body varies that much during the day when healthy. Note what the average is. It might not be 98.6F=37C due to inaccuracies. But if it is repeatable, make a note of its reading of body temp on it in Sharpie.

I notice individual units of cheap thermometers read many different temps in the store. I pick one that is closest to accurate, say, 69F. Then I check it at home against some known temperate - 32F/0C being very easy to accurately create.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Thermometers on 02/17/2013 20:11:55 MST Print View

Fever thermometers display the text "lo" if the temperature is less than 90 F or something

They would be okay during the summer : )

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Thermometers on 02/17/2013 20:34:42 MST Print View

one more to look at

http://www.tiptemp.com/products/21941/traceable-pocket-thermometer

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Lighter Walmart Accurite Thermometer on 02/22/2013 12:44:44 MST Print View

x

Thermometer

I bought and modified the Walmart Accurite thermometer that has been discussed here. See photo and link above. Thanks for the tips.

I removed the outer plastic housing and the thermometer now weighs about .6 ounces. About half of its weight was in that outer plastic walnut shell like housing that was not essential to the thermometer functioning.

CAUTION-The outer housing is made of very brittle plastic. Shards go everywhere when it is broken. Protect your eyes and any other vulnerable parts you might have.

The battery tray clicked into the outer housing so the tray on my now lighter thermometer must be held in place with a piece of tape. No big deal. The thermometer must be inside a zip lock back anyway (with or without housing) if it is used in a moist setting.

Edited by lyrad1 on 02/22/2013 13:06:34 MST.

Tim Drescher
(timdcy) - M

Locale: Gore Range
Re: Lighter Walmart Accurite Thermometer on 02/22/2013 12:58:12 MST Print View

Daryl,

Good call. I just picked mine up at Wal-Mart the other day and planned on using the thermometer in the exact same way minus the piece of tape.

I think what I'll do is just keep it in a small zip lock indefinitely. Only shame is that the battery doesn't "click" without the housing and there's no simple on/off button. Besides that it's perfect.

Edited by timdcy on 02/22/2013 13:01:54 MST.

robert van putten
(Bawana) - F

Locale: Planet Bob
I'm not the only one? on 02/22/2013 13:09:49 MST Print View

You mean I’m not the only geek that has always entered humidity and temperature data into his journal?
Oh boy!

For about 15 years we have used a unit that Radio Shack used to sell that records temp and humidity highs and lows as well as displays current values.
Kinda heavy though, and I am glad to see some new lighter units out there!

Edited by Bawana on 02/27/2013 13:59:40 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Thermometers on 02/22/2013 13:12:06 MST Print View

"Easy enough to check at home. Take your temperature throughout the day with your probe thermometer."

I assume you should do this in private.....

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Tiny thermometer for your smart phone on 03/10/2013 13:44:04 MDT Print View

New Kickstarter project will produce a tiny thermometer for your smart phone:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/robocat/thermodo-the-tiny-thermometer-for-mobile-devices

You could use a headphone extension cord to measure the temperature outside your shelter – see the video where they measure the temperature outside a window.

(Edit) Related thread:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=74464

Edited by Rex on 03/10/2013 14:29:00 MDT.

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Re: AcuRite $6 Thermometer on 04/19/2013 23:57:34 MDT Print View

Got two from Walmart.

Stuck one on my office window almost a month ago, still going strong.

Pulled the suction cup off the other for latest trip, but didn't have time to crack the shell before leaving. Plugged in battery evening before I left, put it in a snack-sized Ziploc, and off we went. Layed it on the ground or on a rock just outside my tent each evening.

Very interesting results. I felt colder on some nights that were several degrees F warmer according to the thermometer. I think the difference was a slight breeze, despite being inside TT Moment (old style).

Also kinda scary seeing how hot it gets inside HMG Windrider white cuben fiber backpack on sunny days. 94 F max reading on a day the nearest weather station says 64 F.

This thermometer will stay in my gear list.

Thanks everyone for the pointer.

Edited by Rex on 04/19/2013 23:58:27 MDT.

Barry P
(BarryP) - F

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)
Re: thermometer on 04/22/2013 12:25:50 MDT Print View

“Anybody got a recommendation for a replacement?”

I’ve been fine with this 0.5oz $1 beauty: http://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Mini-Thermometer/16888910

-Barry
-The mountains were made for Tevas

Phillip Asby
(PGAsby) - M

Locale: North Carolina
Accurite on 04/22/2013 16:41:16 MDT Print View

I picked up the accurite digital model from Walmart and removed the suction cup but kept the case and put a carabiner through it. Thoroughly enjoying knowing temps - helped me realize that my plan to use my 40 degree bag in 46 degree low temps went seriously awry in 33 degree temps! Helps figure out the real effectiveness of a sleep system.

But I'm sort if a data driven guy...