Forum Index » Other Activities » Southern California "Winter"

Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Southern California "Winter" on 02/10/2013 17:47:03 MST Print View

To think Adan and I were trail running in the snow yesterday morning only to be surfing and camping with our families here last night...

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Southern California "Winter" on 02/10/2013 17:52:19 MST Print View

The snow doesn't exist unless you have documentation!

We have a lot of snow above us right now in San Jacinto. But I didn't take any pictures either.

It is cool that we can ski or snowshoe in the morning and surf in the afternoon.

:)

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Southern CA "Winter" on 02/11/2013 10:36:01 MST Print View

"Winter" in southern CA is my favorite time of year.

It's always a nice treat when the coast ranges get a dusting of snow a few times each year. Here's a couple shots from the mountains behind Ojai in Ventura County from earlier this winter. Surf and snow in the same day...

Anacapa and Santa Cruz Island are visible on the horizon.

The ridgeline on the far horizon is the Santa Monica Mountains; just off to the right is the beaches of Oxnard/Pt Mugu area.

Andy Duncan
(bluewater) - M

Locale: SoCal
Southern CA "Winter" on 02/14/2013 14:01:16 MST Print View

I finally took advantage of the fourth season in Southern California.

Snow camping on San Jacinto last week.

san j

Although it rained all night we were above the clouds in the morning.

wellman divide

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Southern CA "Winter" Snow camping on San Jacinto on 02/14/2013 14:23:49 MST Print View

Andy,
Thanks for posting the photos. I see snowshoes in the photos. Do you think it would be passable with crampons only? or too deep and soft snow?

Andy Duncan
(bluewater) - M

Locale: SoCal
Re: Southern CA "Winter" Snow camping on San Jacinto on 02/14/2013 14:59:22 MST Print View

Roger,

From the tram microspikes were fine on the trail up to Round Valley. From 9,100 feet+ the snow was knee high and snow shoes were best. After the most recent storm the cross country routes to the top via Sid Davis/Tamarack look like fun. Crampons would be a must if going up the mountaineers route via Snow Creek but I don't have experience with that route.

I usually check these sites for info on current conditions:

San Jacinto Forum

Long Valley Cam

NOAA Weather Forecast

Have fun!

Justin McCabe
(justinmc)

Re: Southern California "Winter" on 02/19/2013 13:23:35 MST Print View

Just climbed Baldy via the Ski Hut trail to Baldy Bowl, good layer of snow on the ascent passed the Ski Hut. Not too icy, though Microspikes were nice. So far that's my only experience this Winter in Southern California! Baldy 1Summittopsummit

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Southern California "Winter" on 02/19/2013 14:32:35 MST Print View

Cool Justin, I was planning on climbing Baldy this weekend.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Southern CA "Winter" on 02/19/2013 14:53:04 MST Print View

very cool pix.
nice to see the summit without the 100 people and their bicycles.

I like to take the bear flat trail to Mt B in the summer... although my knees cartilage hate me on the downhill. someday I'll make it as an overnight trip instead of same day.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: Re: Southern California "Winter" on 02/19/2013 15:01:25 MST Print View

Craig - for a family man you certainly manage a lot of outdoor time.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern California "Winter" on 02/19/2013 17:22:29 MST Print View

"Craig - for a family man you certainly manage a lot of outdoor time."

I don't golf, watch TV, watch sports, and I don't do happy hour with the co-workers.

I figure that alone frees up about 7 hours per day vs. the average American male, right?

Justin McCabe
(justinmc)

Re: Craig on 02/20/2013 22:26:17 MST Print View

I'm with Craig on this one. While its personal preference how many hobbies you have, it's prudent to limit your interests and choose your hobbies wisely. Allows me to have a lot of family time and build" relationship equity" (a term coined on BPL?) with my wife, allowing me to go out more.

Plus, why would you go to happy hour with coworkers when you can buy a barrel aged imperial stout for cheaper, and drink in peace and quiet while reading a book or, perusing BPL...