November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Display Avatars Sort By:
Gregory Allen
(Gallen1119) - M

Locale: Golden, CO
Serger on 02/10/2013 15:38:02 MST Print View

Do many people use a serger for their MYOG projects? I have a reasonable regular machine, but was thinking of a serger to finish the seams nicer. The Brother 1034D has good reviews on Amazon, but was wanting other opinions. Obviously, I have not used a serger previously, and I'm not trying to make a fashion statement or a tablecloth. Any suggestions?

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Serger on 02/10/2013 17:17:33 MST Print View

I have a Janome model that I use from time to time. Seems like it was ~$450 new. It does finish projects quite a bit better, but I probably wouldn't buy one solely for my MYOG projects. My wife uses ours so we bought one to help with her sewing projects too. With that said, I do love that overlock stitch!

Brendan S
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
Serger for flatlock seams on 02/11/2013 07:40:38 MST Print View

The most useful MYOG use of a serger might be flatlock seams for clothing. More info:
That site has some good free patterns as well.

Gregory Allen
(Gallen1119) - M

Locale: Golden, CO
Thx on 02/11/2013 16:24:46 MST Print View

Like the Shelby site free patterns!