Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Big Agnes Scout 2
Display Avatars Sort By:
Marc Shea
(FlytePacker) - F

Locale: Cascades
Re: Re: Big Agnes Scout 2 on 02/27/2013 09:56:16 MST Print View

The Scout looks very similar to the Robens Summerwind http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/Robens-Summer-Wind/1449 which has been discontinued, and the High Peak Swiftlite. http://www.highpeakusa.com/swiftlite

I have toyed with a design similar to this in the past. The easy way to eliminate the pole in the middle would be to do something like this on end.
Tent Rear Side
Tent Rear Side 2

This approach also allows for a covered vent at the foot.

The problem for me with this style of tent is the trekking pole in the entry. If you add a vestibule like I did, you practically have to be a contortionist to get in and out of the tent.
Tent Vestibule

doug thomas
(sparky52804) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Iowa
Apparently I know nothing on 03/02/2013 07:13:04 MST Print View

This tent won a Backpacker magazine editors choice award.
Oops didn't see the other post. Just got my issue today

Edited by sparky52804 on 03/02/2013 07:14:45 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Apparently I know BS on 03/02/2013 07:22:27 MST Print View

Doug. Now you see first hand why we have such a hard time taking any kind of advice from Bacpacker.

How could it possibly win?

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
scout on 03/02/2013 07:37:24 MST Print View

how many non-cuben tarp tents out there dont require sealing?

Obviously the foot end needed to be angled to be able to be placed into wind and shed wind.

Most of the changes people cry about would just add weight.

It was designed to be reasonable cost,not require sealing, simple setup, roomy, and very light for 2P to backpack with.

How it handles condensation is the only real question in my mind.
Looks low on ventillation.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: scout on 03/02/2013 07:46:30 MST Print View

It was designed to be reasonable cost,not require sealing, simple setup, roomy, and very light for 2P to backpack with.

And this is the best they could come up with? Reminds me of my terrible first pup tent. All the bad design elements are still here.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Re: Re: scout on 03/02/2013 09:52:06 MST Print View

I like that green tent at the top of this page! When I see that, it takes me back to my first "upgraded tent" which was a Eureka that used a single pole at the foot end, but a *pair* at the front to create an A-frame entry. Pre-dating the Timberline by just a bit, this was pretty awesome stuff because you could ingress/egress without knocking the dang tent over! The rear pole was tensioned just like the one above in this thread.

Now, take that green tent or the Scout, have it use a set of trekking poles for the front and simply provide a rear pole... might just be the ticket.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
scout on 03/02/2013 11:09:10 MST Print View

"And this is the best they could come up with? Reminds me of my terrible first pup tent. All the bad design elements are still here."

Please list here, the other quality 2P tents that weigh under 2lbs, dont require seam sealing, cost under $300.

If it was easy, the market would be filled with them. It obviously poses a few challenges.

My guess, they had a target market in mind. Possibly scouts (!).

I dont think there is a market for it at $279. Too much IMO.
The golite imogene 2, at $250 would be much better selection for most.
I think there would be a market at ~$200 tops.

Edited by livingontheroad on 03/02/2013 11:10:27 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: scout on 03/02/2013 11:46:24 MST Print View

I hate that I actually like the look of it. The only thing I really wish it had was more front overhang.

With respect to the Imogene. I think that once the reviews come out from users we are going to find that it doesn't fit anyone over 5'9".

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
scout2 on 03/02/2013 17:46:57 MST Print View

Besides a beak, a full mesh front door, a large back mesh wondow and a way to deal with the inevitable condinsation would be nice this thing really has very little ventilation and NO view

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: scout2 on 03/02/2013 18:08:13 MST Print View

I thought it had midpoint mesh vents the length of the shelter?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: scout on 03/02/2013 18:13:51 MST Print View

"Please list here, the other quality 2P tents that weigh under 2lbs, dont require seam sealing, cost under $300."

Why? Is that really the discussion here? I'd like to buy a new car for 5k doesn't mean you can.

It is a poor design. Period.

Edited by kthompson on 03/02/2013 18:17:25 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: scout on 03/02/2013 18:19:48 MST Print View

I think it is a good design that was only 80% complete. Add a mesh door and proper vestibule and it would work fine.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: on 03/02/2013 18:29:27 MST Print View

"I think it is a good design that was only 80% complete. Add a mesh door and proper vestibule and it would work fine."

I agree,but would like to see the rear pole outside.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: on 03/02/2013 18:39:04 MST Print View

Yes, that is what bugged me about my Golite SL2

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Re: Re: Re: Scout on 03/03/2013 09:13:37 MST Print View

It does have mesh vents the length of the tent and accross the back but they are pretty narrow and it has less sq ft of mesh than anything I've ever owned. Think of being in this thing on a hot buggy night with two people or a calm humid night after a rain and the temp drops down by freezing, one of those nights when all tents and tarps condensate, all that water is gonna be on the floor. I doubt that backpacker put much time in testing this or they got very lucky on weather conditions. The design has potential but improvements would add weight. Ventilation would be easy to improve by adding a beak and a all mesh or partial mesh front door. I like the way a hexamid or my wild oasis or my old TT rain shadow handled condensation, if it ran down the wall it simply runs out the mesh floor or border mesh between the floor and wall but not the scout. I have not used a scout I just went over and checked out the one Doug ordered in, I wanted to like it...it reminded me of my first BSA summer camp. I will admit I might be wrong on all of this

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Re: on 03/03/2013 09:21:20 MST Print View

> I think it is a good design that was only 80% complete

It's an old adage but it's the last 20% that takes (or should take) 80% of the time. For me it's often more like 90/10 (or 10/90 depending on your perspective).

-H

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Scout on 03/03/2013 11:46:08 MST Print View

"all that water is gonna be on the floor"

Not sure about that. I have been in a Nemo Meta 2p where we had condensation but it rolled out the mesh vents which are located mid level up the sides. I have also had condensation on the floor of every tarp tent type shelter I have used at some point. But it is minimal and a pack towel wipes it up nicely.

Perhaps we should await real reviews. I would think that BA actually tests their shelters prior to spending a significant cash investment prior to bringing it to market.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Big Agnes Scout Video on 03/06/2013 17:52:04 MST Print View

Video on the Scout

http://new.pitchengine.com/pitches/69d01b6e-0a8c-42e5-8575-9880ddf2f7a3

Jeremy Yarbrough
(jeremyyarbrough) - MLife
Scout 2 Condensation Problems on 07/16/2013 18:06:18 MDT Print View

I recently spent several nights in my new Big Agnes Scout 2 in Colorado with cool temperatures. In the mornings, the tent was soaked on the inside with condensation. One night i slept with the door open with the same results. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what have you done about it?

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Re: Scout 2 Condensation Problems on 07/16/2013 21:07:38 MDT Print View

Just wondering does the condensation run out the vents at all or run down on the floor? I think the best way to keep the condensation down would be to not sleep in it :^) It really does lack ventilation.