Big Agnes Scout 2
Display Avatars Sort By:
doug thomas
(sparky52804) - MLife

Locale: Eastern Iowa
Big Agnes Scout 2 on 02/10/2013 10:47:09 MST Print View

Has anyone had any experience with this tent? Looks kinda interesting.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
looks good on 02/10/2013 14:12:07 MST Print View

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't run across it yet.

Right off the bat, 90" floor length and vertical side walls means it might do tall guy duty.

Wonder how accurate the 2lb packed weight will be. If it is correct, that's competitive.

I currently own a lunar duo, which is 41oz packed. It looks like I might sacrifice some views and venting with the Scout, along with the additional door and both vestibules.

Now that I'm looking closer, is there no beak on this thing?

doug thomas
(sparky52804) - MLife

Re: looks good on 02/12/2013 16:03:49 MST Print View

Pulled the trigger and ordered the scout. Lets hope it's worth it

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
comments on 02/12/2013 16:16:55 MST Print View

I read somewhere of a guy that bought it hoping to use it for single use and was disappointed. I guess there is a rear pole that sits right in the back center of the tent negating anyone from laying down the middle. You have to pick one side or the other.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
pole on 02/12/2013 18:35:23 MST Print View

wouldn't be that hard to offset the pole a bit, plus if it is truly a 90" floor with vertical ends, that's a bit of length. My biggest worry would be condensation from the looks of it.

Anyway, let us know what you think when it shows up!

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
Link on 02/12/2013 18:43:45 MST Print View

Heres the link i found to someones impressions.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?92259-Big-agnes-scout-ul2-review

doug thomas
(sparky52804) - MLife

Tent showed up on 02/17/2013 07:53:26 MST Print View

Set it up, looked at it, took some pictures, sent it back. Big Agnes has an image of the back of the tent on the tag attached to the tent, but not on the website. Wish I had seen that. I never would have ordered it.

The back of the tent slopes from the rear peak to the ground at about a 60 degree angle and because of this there is no way to get that trekking pole out of the middle of the floor.

This tent design had so much potentional. I don't see how the designers at big Agnes could frak it up so badly.

The tent does have a large rear vent, but nothing in the front. The side vents are about 4 inches high. Any condensation you got in the tent would run down the walls to the netting And drip on the floor.

There is no view from anywhere in the tent except for the tent. There is one door and it is solid sil nylon and the opening to the tent has the door sill so high it makes it a pain in the butt, if not dangerous to enter.

In short, I would not recommend this tent to anyone under any conditions.Scout2Scout 1Scout

Edited by sparky52804 on 02/17/2013 08:51:35 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Tent showed up on 02/17/2013 08:03:48 MST Print View

Offensive language aside. People will be kicking that rear pole non stop. Then more bad words will be spoken in the dark. No beak?

Edit: Thank You

Edited by kthompson on 02/26/2013 20:11:40 MST.

doug thomas
(sparky52804) - MLife

Sorry on 02/17/2013 08:49:43 MST Print View

Sorry about the language. No, it does not have any kind of beak. That would have been one of the many things they could have done to make this a better shelter. The eaves could have been attached at the top to allow better air flow and a better view. The rear of the tent could have been vertical so the pole could have been outside. A noseeum door could have been added. There is way too much sil nylon and not enough noseeum. Kinda of a shame really. This could have been so much better. And again, sorry for the language..

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Tent showed up on 02/17/2013 09:35:33 MST Print View

Personally I dislike having poles inside the shelter. Having said that, the Golite Shangri La 2 and MLD DuoMid both have poles inside set vertically and they are exceptionally stable. I don't often hear about users kicking the poles out of place.

Funny when the mainstream attempts these types of UL shelters. They are never as good as the Cottage manufacturers.

doug thomas
(sparky52804) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Tent showed up on 02/17/2013 09:57:01 MST Print View

True, this tent had so much potential, but failed miserably. Sometimes I think the designers have never been out in the field, and rely solely on a cad drawing program to come up with ideas.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tent showed up on 02/17/2013 09:58:56 MST Print View

Doug, just PM'd you.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Big Agnes Scout 2 on 02/26/2013 20:12:32 MST Print View

Backpacker Editor's Choice Award Winner!

Unbeleivable.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Big Agnes Scout 2 on 02/26/2013 20:40:58 MST Print View

Lol @ this thread!

Doug, sorry the tent was a let down!

Matthew Hoskin
(mattgugel)

Locale: Kanangra-Boyd NP
BA on 02/27/2013 00:54:23 MST Print View

unbelievable..... just was looking at this tent on the website last night( went to look at Q core SL), then saw thhis , and like the look, but wow from what everyone is saying a real let down.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
re on 02/27/2013 01:43:08 MST Print View

The q-core SL was a letdown for me...

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Re: BA on 02/27/2013 06:55:27 MST Print View

Well,I admit that I was excited by this tent, for the weight and capacity rather than the name. However, the photos in this thread are much more illustrative than those I found on BA's site, and elsewhere. Those pics, and the commentary, have changed my views and resolved my lust. Well, rats! Good to know, though.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: BA on 02/27/2013 07:51:31 MST Print View

Having one pole inside really isn't an issue. The front pole is ideally outside the tent for set - inside is just an option.

The mid perimeter netting is a great idea.

But they could have created a vestibule and a full mesh door without sacrificing weather protection and any weight increase. Weird.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Big Agnes Scout 2 on 02/27/2013 07:59:56 MST Print View

Couldn't the back pole be angled back to follow the line of the back wall or would this make the shelter unstable? It's difficult to tell in the photos if this would be possible. I've never had a problem with a front entry shelter and the lack of a vestibule is a plus to me (always been wasted space for me and just another flap to deal with).

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Big Agnes Scout 2 on 02/27/2013 08:35:07 MST Print View

> Couldn't the back pole be angled back to follow the line of the back wall or would this make the shelter unstable?

Doing that would make that shelter severely unstable. You would loose all tension in the ridgeline and no amount of tightening would get it back.

-H