Forum Index » GEAR » Gear Test Results last night in -5ºF

Display Avatars Sort By:
Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Re: Tyvek on 02/11/2013 13:57:13 MST Print View

"When you say you threw it into your hammock, are you meaning you laid it in your hammock, covered it with your pad and then laid on top of the pad?"

Precisely.

Don Selesky
(backslacker) - M
Re: Gear Test Results last night in -5ºF on 02/11/2013 22:20:41 MST Print View

You seem to be hardier than me. Or, conversly, I'm more of a wuss. I was out in the Adorondaks two weeks ago when it got down to 7F at night, with substantial wind on the second night. I was using a Hennessey hammock with a full tarp overhead. Underneath me I had a long Ridgerest and a large NeoAir XTherm. I found that it wasn't enough bottom insulation, as my butt and back felt cool. Not freezing, but below where I felt comfortable. My insulation included a VBL hoodie and a full down parka, along with the usual base layer, plus a 5F quilt, etc. I found that fully inflating the NeoAir by mouth helped, but not enough.

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: Re: Gear Test Results last night in -5ºF on 02/11/2013 23:08:01 MST Print View

"You seem to be hardier than me. Or, conversly, I'm more of a wuss. I was out in the Adorondaks two weeks ago when it got down to 7F at night, with substantial wind on the second night"

Add a tyvek sheet to block the wind. Wind can blow cold air through the outer fabric, through the down, and out the other side. Stopping the wind (Tyvek is good at that) before it gets to your quilt could make a difference.

Don Selesky
(backslacker) - M
Re: Re: Re: Gear Test Results last night in -5ºF on 02/12/2013 03:18:21 MST Print View

What was cool was my back, which was lying on a ccf pad and the NeoAir. My top felt fine. Also, the first night was relatively calm. It appeared to be convection losses, specifically insufficient insulation underneath me, that wasn't able to cope with the cold.

Next time out I'll try using an Undercover just to see if it does make a difference, along with a thicker pad.

ETA: I know it was not enough pad insulation because if I fully inflated the NeoAir I could feel the difference. I remember a previous thread where it was reported that the amount of inflation affected the R-value, and it certainly seemed the case that weekend.

Edited by backslacker on 02/12/2013 11:03:33 MST.

John Almond
(FLRider) - F

Locale: The Southeast
Re: Frozen Fingers and Hennessy Lashing on 02/12/2013 05:08:48 MST Print View

One of the biggest things you could do to save your fingers some trouble in the cold is to switch over to a ring & strap or buckle/strap suspension system on the Hennessy. Tying and untying the Hennessy lashing is time-consuming and requires fine manual dexterity.

Adjusting a strap suspension requires being able to manipulate a climbing rated 'biner (or Dutch Clip) and tie a slippery half-hitch. Which is totally possible in gloves (mitts might require a bit of practice).

Now, it is heavier than the stock Hennessy suspension, but for deep cold the ease of use is more important than the weight, at least for me.

In warmer weather, Whoopie Slings (I can offer links if you need) are easier to use than the Hennessy lashing and lighter, to boot.

Hope it helps!

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Tyvek on 02/12/2013 06:18:46 MST Print View

The Tyvek sheet makes a difference. I don't know how much of a difference, but if it goes negative again I'll risk hypothermia for you guys and find out!

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

New Gear on 02/13/2013 16:07:16 MST Print View

I just got the Manzella Cascade gloves in the mail. The thumb DOES fold down! Which was an unexpected feature. This makes them an awesome value at $22.

They are too thick to be used as liners in an overmitt unless that overmitt was just a shell, without insulation. Also, the XL size I bought is slightly too big. When they restock the Size L, I'll give these to my father as a gift.

The Thermarest NeoAir X-Therm came as well, and it's a little noisier than my all-season, but you'd wake the dead before you'd wake me from something like crinkling.

I also swapped out the MH 32º bag for a 45º bag, because I'm a masochist.

Looking forward to using this gear on Mount Moosilauke in new Hampshire this weekend. I will bring back my results and tell you guys how it went!

Here's my new gearlist:

Gear List

Edited by mdilthey on 02/13/2013 16:09:20 MST.