Center seam on cuben tarp necessary?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Center seam on cuben tarp necessary? on 02/09/2013 16:50:11 MST Print View

Question: is a center seam on a cuben tarp necessary? In other words, if I wanted a cuben tarp that was 3 panels of cuben wide (instead of 2) by 12 foot long (so, in effect, about 12x12), would that be okay, or would there be issues with not having a center seam?

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Center seam on cuben tarp necessary? on 02/09/2013 17:19:31 MST Print View

I know of at least one company that makes their larger sil tarps using 4 panels, so I don't sew why it would be an issue to use 3.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Center seam on cuben tarp necessary? on 02/09/2013 17:26:58 MST Print View

With four panels you'd still have a center seam. I'm wondering if that center seam is necessary.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Seam on 02/09/2013 18:09:20 MST Print View

If you don't want a catenary ridgeline, I think you could put the seams anywhere (on the diagonal, if you like). If you want 12' x 12', I think two seams sounds like a good idea.

b willi jones
(mrjones) - F

Locale: best place in the world !?
Re: Seam on 02/09/2013 23:58:20 MST Print View

if you were using it as an A-frame set up, and the 'ridge-line' was going to be the main guy-out point through the middle of a panel, then i would probably make a seam. not a seam as such that uses 2 panels joined, i would look at doing a multi-layer folded/ taped seam, just for added strength. sometimes the seam can be structual, the strongest point, sometimes it can be the weak link

i dont know anything about it though, but thats what all my expirence tells me

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Center seam on cuben tarp necessary? on 02/10/2013 08:46:42 MST Print View

Doug,

My memory is a little fuzzy, but seems like Hammock Gear made a large cuben tarp for a customer that sounds really close to what you are talking about. I remember it had two seams. You might search around Hammock Forums or email Hammock Gear for more info.

Ryan

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
hg on 02/10/2013 10:01:59 MST Print View

ryan i think that was the original plan w/ the tarp (3 panels of cuben). however i don't know if stormcrow ended up going that route. here in this vid he just added a foot onto the bottom of his normal tarp. he starts talking about that at 8 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8wzxi74pmw

maybe he's changed it since then though.

Tjaard Breeuwer
(Tjaard) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota, USA
run a ridgeline on 02/10/2013 13:21:23 MST Print View

How about running a ridge line inside the tarp? That way you add tensile strength to that dimension without worrying about seams ripping or waterproofing issues.

It also makes a nice place to hang a light, glasses, or gear to dry.

Using a midweight of Spectra would add only a few grams of weight to the set-up.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: run a ridgeline on 02/10/2013 13:49:48 MST Print View

> a ridge line inside the tarp
+1
No leaks.

Cheers

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Center seam on cuben tarp necessary? on 02/10/2013 14:23:30 MST Print View