November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
New Balance Fugu Down Jacket
Display Avatars Sort By:
Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
New Balance Fugu Down Jacket on 02/09/2013 15:55:56 MST Print View

recently I picked up a New Balance Fugu Down Jacket jacket on the gearswap.
Just to test the warmth for weight against my Western Mountaineering Flash XR which weighs the same. I did a short unscientific test.

I put the coat on and sat for 30 minutes with a fish tank thermometer in my cell phone cover and then in my chest pocket for each jacket. The Western Mountaineering had a temperature of 78 degrees. I was just lying on my bed at home. The New Balance Fugu Down Jacket had a temperature of 84 degrees.

Not a good jacket to charge up a hill in, but I can't wear jackets with a pack on, I just sweat too much but once I get to camp and I'm just standing around then it's nice to be warm.

Edited by anthonyweston on 02/10/2013 16:08:04 MST.

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
reverse on 02/09/2013 15:57:43 MST Print View

did you do them in reverse order after the initial test?

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
fugu on 02/10/2013 16:10:00 MST Print View

Actually the Fugu jacket was first and I was all warmed up when I put on the Western Mountaineering Jacket. However I'm not sold, too much heat is not a good thing if it makes you sweat but it is warm for it's weight.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: fugu on 02/10/2013 16:33:30 MST Print View

I don't do well in cold, and normally wouldn't wear down while hiking. But the Fugu is great for setting up camp and sitting around after a day's hike in sub freezing temps. I always bring mine for winter trips in the snow.