Forum Index » GEAR » New Balance Fugu Down Jacket

Display Avatars Sort By:
Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
New Balance Fugu Down Jacket on 02/09/2013 15:55:56 MST Print View

recently I picked up a New Balance Fugu Down Jacket jacket on the gearswap.
Just to test the warmth for weight against my Western Mountaineering Flash XR which weighs the same. I did a short unscientific test.

I put the coat on and sat for 30 minutes with a fish tank thermometer in my cell phone cover and then in my chest pocket for each jacket. The Western Mountaineering had a temperature of 78 degrees. I was just lying on my bed at home. The New Balance Fugu Down Jacket had a temperature of 84 degrees.

Not a good jacket to charge up a hill in, but I can't wear jackets with a pack on, I just sweat too much but once I get to camp and I'm just standing around then it's nice to be warm.

Edited by anthonyweston on 02/10/2013 16:08:04 MST.

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
reverse on 02/09/2013 15:57:43 MST Print View

did you do them in reverse order after the initial test?

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
fugu on 02/10/2013 16:10:00 MST Print View

Actually the Fugu jacket was first and I was all warmed up when I put on the Western Mountaineering Jacket. However I'm not sold, too much heat is not a good thing if it makes you sweat but it is warm for it's weight.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: fugu on 02/10/2013 16:33:30 MST Print View

I don't do well in cold, and normally wouldn't wear down while hiking. But the Fugu is great for setting up camp and sitting around after a day's hike in sub freezing temps. I always bring mine for winter trips in the snow.