Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
2013 lightest 30-40F sleep options
Display Avatars Sort By:
michael sellers
(shredtastic5)

Locale: Southeast
2013 lightest 30-40F sleep options on 02/09/2013 11:23:35 MST Print View

Ive read up quite a bit but cant find a definitive winner that I have actually been able to put my hands and test. What are the lightest/most packable options for a 30F bag/quilt. Sleeping in Hennessy I am also looking for something to beat the Yeti under quilt for weight/packability. Right now im looking at the MH speed 32 bag, marmot atom, few different quilts. Everything seems to be a lb and a few onces. The Speed 32 bag is 15.5 oz but it is cut for a Kenyan marathon runner. I think the options are out there but I am just too much of a newb to find them myself.

Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
Re: 2013 lightest 30-40F sleep options on 02/09/2013 11:37:33 MST Print View

Couldn't be happier with my WM Summerlite

michael sellers
(shredtastic5)

WM on 02/09/2013 11:45:47 MST Print View

Does it pack down tiny?

Herbert Sitz
(hes)

Locale: Pacific NW
Re: 2013 lightest 30-40F sleep options on 02/09/2013 12:09:59 MST Print View

ZPacks 30deg hybrid quilt/bag may be an option if weight is ultimate priority: 14.4 ounces. Light weight is partly b/c it's not as full a cut as others but people seem to like it (not just for Kenyan marathoners, but reg size is more for 5'10",160-70) and temp rating seems to be true:
ZPacks quilts

Katabatic Palisade 30deg/17.5 oz:
Katabatic Palisade

Enlightened Equipment Revelation 30/19oz:
EE Rev 30

Weight for all can vary a bit based on size and in some cases materials.

Edited by hes on 02/09/2013 12:13:46 MST.

Richard Cullip
(RichardCullip) - M

Locale: San Diego County
Re: Re: 2013 lightest 30-40F sleep options on 02/09/2013 12:12:48 MST Print View

+1 on Zpacks 30deg quilt. Amazing light and warm. I love mine.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Lightest at the END of a trip? on 02/09/2013 12:31:14 MST Print View

Yes, the WM Summerlight may be one of the lightest at the start of the trip.
But what about after 5 nights of use? How much moisture has it collected aand what does it weigh? And I do like WM products. I own a WM Megalite.

So I feel it's better to get a bag with DWR treated down like Down Tech or Dri Down. Treated down will absorb less moisture and be more likely to REMAIN light throughout a trip.

Herbert Sitz
(hes)

Re: Lightest at the END of a trip? on 02/09/2013 12:45:55 MST Print View

ZPacks offers a water resistant down (not sure which one) as a no-cost option and says it adds about 1oz to listed weight. They have link to a study comparing water-resistant down to non-treated down (I assume using same treatment as their no-cost option): Study.

I'm still not quite clear on what the differences are in real-world hiking situations, but for the moment I'm thinking the water-resistant-down treatments are good but something less than the miracle-cure that some seem to think they are.

I believe Enlightened Equipment also has water-resistant down option, not sure about others.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Treated Down vs. Untreated Down on 02/09/2013 13:21:19 MST Print View

Do we have a scientific study comparing the properties of treated vs untreated, or a serious review of the two to bring clarity on the actual benefits?

Everyone's either on the miracle-cure wagon or the "It's not a miracle-cure" wagon, with nobody being very definitive on either side. I'd love to see a comprehensive look at it, but I have yet to find it.

Edited by mdilthey on 02/09/2013 13:25:18 MST.

Art Tyszka
(arttyszka) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Enlightened on 02/09/2013 13:47:17 MST Print View

Back to the weight question, check out Enlightened Equipment. Tim makes an excellent product and his customer service is above and beyond. If you went with one of his cuben quilts it'd be close to the lightest option out there. The Apex line (cuben) isn't back on the site yet as he's supposed to be redesigning them.

Herbert Sitz
(hes)

Cuben Fiber quilts on 02/09/2013 14:00:14 MST Print View

My understanding is that cuben fiber as quilt shell material is a vapor barrier that's not well suited for general three season use. Normal body sweat will be unable to escape and quilt will begin to feel "clammy".

This "vapor barrier" behavior is preferable sometimes in cold-weather winter camping but not for regular three-season use. Others with experience and a better understanding of this can chime in here.

On the Enlightened site the "Epiphany" quilts are the down-based vapor barrier quilts and the "Epiphany Apex" are vapor barrier quilts using the synthetic Climashield Apex insulation.

Edited by hes on 02/09/2013 14:01:50 MST.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Cuben Fiber quilts on 02/09/2013 14:43:32 MST Print View

"This "vapor barrier" behavior is preferable sometimes in cold-weather winter camping but not for regular three-season use. Others with experience and a better understanding of this can chime in here".

Some sort of VBL is a regular part of my kit in all but the warmest part of summer here in Idaho. Of note, everyone who has seen me use one acted like it was one of the nuttiest things they had seen. Not a single one has shown an interest in trying.

I can't speak for all but I know they have worked for me in the environments I'm in....for ~10 yrs. They've allowed me to reduce my weight and bulk by a fair amount...at virtually no cost.

While it goes to reason they would not work well in certain conditions...I've gotten the distinct impression that very few people have actually experimented with them to any degree. We humans are a strange species. If something is so foreign to not be on the shelves of REI, with a hefty price tag, how could it possibly work. But I digress.......

Edited by rustyb on 02/09/2013 14:48:12 MST.

Art Tyszka
(arttyszka) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
3 season use on 02/09/2013 16:09:58 MST Print View

I'm not debating a VP is or isn't ok for warmer weather. Suluk45 was the first I know of to have a cuben quilt and he did in fact use it in the Summer as well. At the time he billed it as the lightest quilt in the world. He has videos on YouTube and his site if you want to see his reviews.

Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
Re: WM on 02/09/2013 16:20:41 MST Print View

"Does it pack down tiny?"

Yes. I probably have a pic laying around somewhere showing it compressed. All lofted hibernating in a cotton sack right now though.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Treated Down vs. Untreated Down on 02/09/2013 16:20:43 MST Print View

Max,

I am hoping Bpl will come up with some data on this subject, I know Ryan Jordan has been testing out some of the offerings.

I did receive a gift of a lightweight down jacket with Downtek in it recently so I will be trying it out on upcoming trips.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by stephenm on 02/09/2013 16:21:25 MST.

michael sellers
(shredtastic5)

thanks for the suggestions! on 02/09/2013 16:36:03 MST Print View

I checked out all of the options presented and I think I would rather have a full bag and head coverage if all of the weights are 16-21oz I have a ton of options in bags and quilts. Im adding the Stoic SomnusSZ 30 to my list of bags to consider. Water resistant shell that seems to get awesome reviews and 1lb6oz weight all @ $194 pricing point. The zpack quilt is def. light but it says 5 weeks delivery time which I cannot wait for. Im also an avid skydiver and this is the case typically with awesome gear...you have to wait for it. So as of now I would love to hear any experienced with the Marmot Atom40, Stoic Somnus, Montbell#5. I know the WM summerlite is right in the mix but I don't have access to it at a price within $100 of the other bags. Still considering a quilt also from Enlightened. Would love a pitcure of one of their 30 degree quilts packed down.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Re on 02/09/2013 19:37:13 MST Print View

EE in 10d for sure...

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
WM Highlite on 02/09/2013 21:15:52 MST Print View

The WM highlite is a fully hooded bag at 16oz which might be as light as you can go in a bag with hood.

michael sellers
(shredtastic5)

thanks for the suggestions! on 02/11/2013 01:27:43 MST Print View

Greg, wow. Just noticed this bag. Are they too new to find used? Know of any retailer with good pricing?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: thanks for the suggestions! on 02/11/2013 07:13:41 MST Print View

Be wise of the Highlite as it uses stitch through constuction.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: thanks for the suggestions! on 02/11/2013 08:35:05 MST Print View

Michael,

The Highlite isn't a new bag. I sold one several yrs ago. Cool little bag! I'd bet, with a little patience, you could find a nice used one. Make no mistake though: It is a summer bag.