Forum Index » GEAR » My NeoAir adventures.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Peter (Taking a break)
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
My NeoAir adventures. on 02/09/2013 09:44:50 MST Print View

Having owned the following NeoAir's, i thought it was time for a long term mini review/comparison of the NeoAir production line.

I've owned these:

NeoAir reg.
NeoAir large
NeoAir Xlite reg.
NeoAir Xlite large

NeoAir reg: great! From that point, i knew i would never move away from an air mattress. A little warmer than my old prolite 3, but still a little chilly around freezing temp.

Then i bought the large, because i wanted to try it out, but the weight wasn't worth it, and it took forever to blow up. But the size was very nice.

Then the Xlite reg. Now i was warm at around freezing temp! But the tapered design was very annoying compared to the original reg. Too narrow. But lighter...It weighed exactly 350 gram as Cascade specs said.

Then the Xlite Large:

Waited to buy this a long time, because Cascade specs said 460 gram. Took my kitchen weight with me to the store, because i remembered people stating different weights of the same pad. And as Mike Clelland says, "It's okay to be geeky!"

I noticed two different versions of the pad. The same type as my old Xlite reg., and a more transparent type. The transparent versions where clearly lighter than the other version. And in the transparent batch, there where also weight differences. I ended up with a transparent Xlite Large at 419 gram, that's 41 grams lighter than Cascade specs! Nice!

A nice surprise when i came home to blow it up: it is so much easier to
inflate than the old NeoAir Large. The resistance is noticeably less.
This i'm not sure is a difference from the original to the Xlite or from the non-transparent to transparent version of the Xlite.

All in all, i think my new transparent NeoAir Xlite Large at 419 gram / 14.78 oz is light, warm at around freezing temp, long and wide enough for me (i'm 185 cm / 6.1 feet) as a side sleeper in "light-fetal position", and easy to inflate.

Hope somebody can use some of this...

/Peter

Edited by prse on 02/09/2013 09:52:06 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: My NeoAir adventures. on 02/09/2013 10:21:20 MST Print View

What? You haven't tried the Neoair XTherm? You NEED TO try it!!! :)

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: My NeoAir adventures. on 02/09/2013 10:28:19 MST Print View

The Gear Enabler- back at it

Peter (Taking a break)
(prse) - MLife

Re: Re: My NeoAir adventures. on 02/09/2013 10:29:15 MST Print View

Are you kidding me Ben!? At potentially 151 g extra, i'd rather have a frosty bum...

hehe :-)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: My NeoAir adventures. on 02/09/2013 10:34:52 MST Print View

How tall are you?

I just wish there was more of an offering of wider sizes.

I love the small packed size of these new air mattresses.

Sure it is one more thing to take care of and keep track of as well as a slight amount of weight, but those pad inflators, like the Microburst makes having a large air pad easier to live with. I start the pad inflating and go do something else. Easy.

Peter (Taking a break)
(prse) - MLife

Re: Re: My NeoAir adventures. on 02/09/2013 10:46:45 MST Print View

Ken, I'm 185 cm. The Original NeoAir reg. was fine, the Xlite reg. was too short and slim for me. The Xlite Large is perfect for me both in length and width - and not to long either, so i don't "waste" any weight on superfluous material.

About inflation. I've been looking at the microburst as i remembered how annoying it was to inflate the old Original Large NeoAir, but as stated above, i find the transparent Xlite Large very easy to inflate!

Have anybody else noticed the same?

Edited by prse on 02/09/2013 10:48:06 MST.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: My NeoAir adventures. on 02/09/2013 10:47:11 MST Print View

I can add my own neoair story to Peter's

In chronological order:

neoair small

I wasn't gonna spend that much $$ without losing weight from the prolite small I was using. Still own it and use it for backpacking.

neoair regular

Caught a good deal on gear swap and picked it up for use when weight was less important (canoe or car camping). But decided I'd prefer a large for that use and sold it.

neoair large

works OK but just slightly too large for a SMD Meteor bivvy which I'd often use when taking the large (can zip it closed but it pushes hard at the seams)

Similar to Peter, I can feel a slight chill from below at about 30F. A thin CCF pad (1/8" from GG) on top makes it cozy at least to 25F (haven't found the limit yet)

The Xtherm would be tempting for real winter except that I already have a Kookabay GoosePad.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.wordpress.com
Am I the only one? on 02/09/2013 10:52:32 MST Print View

I used a Neo-Air All-Season, then an X-therm. I used the All-Season for 30 days straight, blowing it up every night and deflating and folding it every morning.

Then I tried a Neo-Air Z-lite Torso, slept great.... and sold my Neo-Airs. All I use now is the CCF pad. I love it to death.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Re: Am I the only one? on 02/09/2013 11:05:38 MST Print View

The only times I use my z-lite is in desert conditions where puncture risk is high. Otherwise I find it too thin and not enough insulation power.

Love the neoairs myself. I used to rock my original rectangle neoair with a 1/8" ccf down to 25 degrees and with a quilt...never a complaint...probably a dumb decision by me to sell it.

Trying out the xtherm this season, love everything but the dorito bag crinkle.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Am I the only one? on 02/09/2013 11:09:02 MST Print View

I have had two NeoAirs and they leaked after only a few uses. They were used inside tents or bivvies. Sad really and apparently I am not alone.

Inflatables will leak eventually. For the most reliability, a closed cell foam is best and can be doubled up but are supremely bulky.

For inflatable, I have an Exped UL7 Synmat which I have found warmer than the standard NeoAir and which has not leaked yet. However, there is a 3 oz weight difference.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F - M

Locale: British Columbia
My NeoAir adventures... on 02/09/2013 12:33:44 MST Print View

I own both the large and the small NeoAirs but have used the small size almost exclusively on my trips. My small weighs 9 oz (exactly) which is lighter than the listed weight. Since my small NeoAir only weighs 1 oz more than the new Xlite, I so no reason to upgrade (I like the rectangular pad and it's worth the 1 oz difference in weight).

My large weighs exactly double the weight of my small NeoAir and even though it's extremely comfortable, I just can't make myself carry the extra 9 oz since I find the small NeoAir very comfortable as well. I've never had a leak in either pad but I carry a CCF bum pad anyway, so that is my backup mat (would work as a small torso pad in an emergency).

Edited by skopeo on 02/09/2013 12:34:35 MST.

Peter (Taking a break)
(prse) - MLife

back up on 02/09/2013 12:45:27 MST Print View

One of the great things for me, going from internal frame to frame-less backpack, has been the use of a 4 segment Zlite ccf, that acts as:

-frame,
-great coffee break pad,

and at night, i put it under my tent floor at my hip/butt area, where the pressure on the air-mattress is highest. This has 5 "sub-functions":

-less chance of puncture of air-mattress,
-protects the tent floor
- In case of puncture, and I can't find the hole, can be a part of a backup mattress combined with backpack, pants and more gear...
-quickly relocate to vestibule to act as knee pad/sit pad when going in or out of the tent
-prevents my butt from sinking through the air-mattress and on to the cold ground when sitting up in the tent.

Edited by prse on 02/09/2013 12:48:55 MST.