Camping with partner?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Backpacking with Mrs Mags on 02/09/2013 12:40:21 MST Print View

First, car camping with Mrs Mags is easy. We have a whole bunch of equipment and have it dialed-in. We have comfortably car camped in winter conditions, enjoy the solitude and see things that are quite awesome but not a backpacking destination (e.g. our recent trip to Chaco Canyon. Some great memories made during those outdoor experiences.

Backpacking? A learning curve for both of us. :)

I have a solo thru-hiker background and tend to be more minimalist in nature to begin with. A "blue foamer", no stove and cowboy camping is about my speed.

Mrs Mags? Even suggesting cowboy camping would skeeve her out. :) Hiking 20+ MPD with little time in camp? Er, no.

So we have to compromise. A two-person Lunar Duo. A canister stove and, AT THE MOST, 10 MPD. She wants a nice spot to relax by the lake or stream before dinner.

On her part, we don't do the 'base camp' style backpacking trips with lots of gear, little miles and mainly day hikes that she is familiar with. She has agreed to do a bit more hiking oriented trips and less of the "back country car camping" -type trips. (A nickname for the base camp style trips. :D)

So, that's my nickels worth of advice.

Find something that works for both of you. Notice I did not mention gear all the much. IMO, to successfully backpack with a spouse, it is about finding a style of backpacking that works for both of you. The gear is part of that aspect, but only a part of it.

I would not want to do basecamp trips when backpacking (climbing is another story), she does not want to do the thru-hiker style pace that I still enjoy.

So we try to find something that works both of us and is still enjoyable.

Edited by PaulMags on 02/09/2013 12:44:29 MST.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Backpacking with Mrs Mags on 02/09/2013 12:45:49 MST Print View

@Paul: Try separate vacations. It works. Just allow together time elsewhere.

My wife of 40 years is my all-time favorite hiking partner, although she doesn't care for the truly long-distance hikes. The TRT was enough to teach her that. So we compromise and take my training hikes together.

Like Daryl, my wife and I share a TT Double Rainbow, 2 Thermarest Prolite Plus pads, and a matched pair of 25°F Western Mountaineering Hooded Aspen (now called the Sycamore MF) sleeping bags that can zip together if desired. These bags are semi-rectangular and each can be completely unzipped to form a flat quilt. This saved us once when we got to camp and realized that one-who-must-not-be-named had neglected to pick up their sleeping bag from the car.

NOTE: if planning to zip bags together routinely, try to get the hoodless versions WM Alder MF) or one of you will sleep with a hood under their head while the other has it on top of their face.

Edited by wandering_bob on 02/09/2013 12:59:08 MST.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Backpacking with Mrs Mags on 02/09/2013 14:24:36 MST Print View

> if planning to zip bags together routinely, try to get the hoodless versions WM
> Alder MF) or one of you will sleep with a hood under their head while the other
> has it on top of their face.
Or ask them to make one left-handed and one right-handed. Common.

Cheers

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Outdoors with the wife on 02/09/2013 14:53:37 MST Print View

Ah, but I do enjoy separate trips. I went to Utah this thanksgiving and spent a week in the wind river range solo this past summer. But we met on an outdoor trip and continue to enjoy each other's company in the outdoors. I love my time solo. I also enjoy spending time with my wife. :)

Doug Smith
(Jedi5150) - F - M

Locale: Central CA
Re: Backpacking with Mrs Mags on 02/09/2013 19:15:52 MST Print View

"She has agreed to do a bit more hiking oriented trips and less of the "back country car camping" -type trips. (A nickname for the base camp style trips. :D)"

Hahaha! Paul, that's my speed. I love your description and title of "back country car camping". I might have to borrow the phrase. I've tried valiantly to embrace the ultralight mind set. But if you're going to carry a single person Big Agnes tent, why not carry a 2 person Hilleberg? If you're going to bring a Thermarest Ridgerest, why not bring an Exped Synmat to put on top of it? And since I sleep cold, even if the temps are supposed to be 40*, I better bring my 0* bag...You see my thought process? ;-)

Tristana Rodriguez
(Tristana) - F
Sleeping with Partner on 02/14/2013 06:17:13 MST Print View

Thanks all for some really great ideas!

I am off for a bushcrafting weekend with Will so we're gonna take all the gear we have, play with it all amd see what we prefer. Others will be there too so we can probably compare their setups.

Amy Lauterbach - That quilt is incredible! Yes I do have sewing skills and will give that serious consideration!