Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Possible to replace handles on trekking poles?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
Possible to replace handles on trekking poles? on 02/07/2013 22:09:01 MST Print View

I recently got a pair of Komperdell trekking poles for cheap on STP. They have hard plastic hand grips on them. Has anyone successfully replaced handles like this with something like cork or foam? Just trying to get some ideas.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/komperdell-trailmaster-powerlock-trekking-poles-pair~p~4237f/

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Possible to replace handles on trekking poles? on 02/07/2013 22:48:58 MST Print View

don't know about spare parts for those but I removed the handles from a pair of BPL Stix (made by Komperdell) by immersing the handles in hot water.

Cam Baker
(Trail_Turkey) - F
Boiling water immersion on 02/08/2013 04:49:54 MST Print View

I removed the molded plastic grips from my BD cheapy collapsing poles by immersing the handle in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes. With a leather gloved hand I was able to pull them right off.

As far as replacement goes, lots of folks like to use fishing pole grips. I wrapped mine with cork bike handle bar grip tape. After wrapping I ran a bead of supper glue around the wrap to keep it all together. Several hundred miles later they are going strong.