Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ultra light idea for boiling water WITHOUT a pot using hot stones?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F - M

Locale: norcal
Ultra light idea for boiling water WITHOUT a pot using hot stones? on 02/07/2013 13:16:47 MST Print View

(thinking out loud here)

I was watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3LOhYRY59Y&feature=youtu.be

... and it had me thinking that heating a rock and then placing it in water could be used to boil the water.

I know that this trick has been used by native people but I wonder if it could be used for ultralight backpacking.

It would require you to have some sort of solid nalgene bottle. However most of us carry one anyway.

You would also need a cage to hold the hot rocks to prevent them from touching the plastic. That can be extremely light weight though.

There is ALSO the issue of soot in your water. Honestly I probably wouldn't care about this. For some of my dishes they would probably taste better ;)

My pot is only about 0.25 lbs or ~ 100 grams so this isn't a huge weight savings.

Kind of an interesting idea though.

Douglas Ray
(dirtbagclimber)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Boiling with stones on 02/07/2013 21:18:21 MST Print View

I suspect that it would be quite inefficient in time and wood-gathering energy. I have done some heating rocks up to heat back country saunas, and it takes lots of time and lots of wood to get them to start to glow.