Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Want To BORROW "beginner" flat tarp
Display Avatars Sort By:
G Sticks
(VoiceOfSticks) - F

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Want To BORROW "beginner" flat tarp on 02/07/2013 12:25:14 MST Print View

So I read a lot about all you ultralighters with your multiple shelters and it got me thinking - would anyone be willing to loan me a basic solo flat tarp and lines (any brand would do)? I've looked at the MLD Grace Solo Silnylon, as well as the ZPack Cubens but I am going in circles on where to spend my hard earned cash, and all of this is difficult for me to figure out because I have never actually used a tarp. I'm thinking that as a token of trust I could PayPal someone money and then reverse the exchange when I send it back Alternatively I could promise on my Scout's honor :). Also, I could skip taking it camping and just try pitching it in my yard a few times. Either way, I would absolutely return it in tiptop shape or pay for damages.

Perhaps this isn't ever done on here, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks!

G Sticks
(VoiceOfSticks) - F

also on 02/07/2013 12:28:13 MST Print View

also, no worries if no one wants to loan a random dude their stuff. i would totally understand!

Jared Baker
(simply_light) - MLife

Locale: Midwest, US
I'll take your word on 02/07/2013 12:32:57 MST Print View

Hey, I'm game for loaning you a tarp. It is not any name brand, but a myog. It is 5 x 9 tarp With Tie outs on each corner, halfway down the sides and 2 in mid panel.

Just get me your address and I can get it in the mail tomorrow.

Edited by simply_light on 02/13/2013 00:53:17 MST.

Andy Anderson
(ianders) - F

Locale: Southeast
Borah Gear on 02/07/2013 13:37:56 MST Print View

Borah Gear has a 5'x9' flat tarp on their website for $50. Pretty good deal.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Want To BORROW "beginner" flat tarp on 02/07/2013 16:13:30 MST Print View

if you just want to try the size and pitch, buy some "painter's cloth" ($2-5) cut it to size, add some tie out loops made with tape, put some tape where you want to use the poles and you are done.
(look at the polycro tarp tested thread in the MYOG sub forum)

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: Want To BORROW "beginner" flat tarp on 02/07/2013 16:26:15 MST Print View

I would add this. When I went through this transition I jumped straight to the GoLite Poncho Tarp (Small Tarp) and ended up having to back up a step and now have a GG SpinnTwinn. I would just caution that going to a really small Tarp right away may leave you a little disappointed because they can be very cramped if you really have to use in bad weather.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Want To BORROW "beginner" flat tarp on 02/07/2013 18:03:27 MST Print View

You should just get one of those cheap blue tarps from the hardware store. Super cheap. They work well enough and they aren't terribly heavy (just bulky). You could practice with it and get a more expensive tarp if you decide that you like tarping. Then you would have a spare tarp for car camping or loaning out to new backpackers.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Want To BORROW "beginner" flat tarp on 02/07/2013 18:35:48 MST Print View

+1 for using cheap blue tarps dor your first few dates with tarping ... that's how I started

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Re: Want To BORROW "beginner" flat tarp on 02/08/2013 00:15:07 MST Print View

G Sticks pm inbound.

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Locale: Scandinavia
Not to toot my own horn... on 02/08/2013 02:54:42 MST Print View

...but perhaps this will be helpful:

http://cesarandthewoods.blogspot.se/2011/07/my-favorite-diymyog-camping-shelter.html

A good, cheap, and easy MYOG tarp project--and it can be used in conjunction with a campfire (plus space blanket), or without and save weight (sans space blanket). With space blanket, string, and two doors the one I made comes to 434g. I have since learned that you can use those little plastic IKEA clips or metal hair clips to hold the tarp in place on the ridge line, and also to help hold the doors in place.

Good luck whatever you do. Tarp shelters are an excellent option to explore and add to your gear closet. I find a tarp/bivy combo ideal for backpacking on trails, and tents (and hybrid tent variants) to be ideal for shorter overnight trips, car camping, and off-trail/bushwhacking adventures.

G Sticks
(VoiceOfSticks) - F

thanks! on 02/08/2013 05:36:08 MST Print View

Get outta town, this forum is great! I got several solid ideas for building my own tarp and two offers to send me 5x9s. Where you all when I was lugging 55 pounds across Philmont in 2002? *Cheesy grin and two thumbs up, looking right at the camera* "THANKS BPL!"