Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Using water bladders with hot water?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Using water bladders with hot water? on 02/06/2013 19:55:41 MST Print View

My backpacking friend uses a nalgene water bladder as a hot water bottle for sleeping. He boils up water for it almost every night.

Is this safe? Is there a risk of it leaking? It would be terrible to wake up with a soaked down bag.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Using water bladders with hot water? on 02/06/2013 21:21:02 MST Print View

Safe? In terms of the bottle itself, yes, it is safe. Boiling water won't hurt the plastic any. As for leaks, I think it is safe as well -- as long as people are extra careful about screwing the bottle tight. I like to tip mine sideways and upside down just to be doubly sure. And yes, a hot water bottle sure keeps the foot end nice and warm! :)

Nelson Sherry
(nsherry61)

Locale: Mid-Willamette Valley
Boiling in your bag on 02/06/2013 21:26:36 MST Print View

Nalgene claims their cantene soft bottles can handle boiling water, and they have wide mouths . . . I've read on BPL that some people use the platapus bags without issue, although the narrow mouth may be a bit awkward to poor boiling water into.

I use a wide mouth nalgene polyethylene bottle, BUT, boiling water is darn hot and an uninsulated bottle cools down pretty fast. Many people use a cozy for their hot water bottle that keeps it from being so hot it burns, AND keeps it warm much longer into the night than an uninsulated bottle would.

I'd love to know how the nalgene cantenes hold up to boiling water over time.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
New Bottles on 02/06/2013 21:33:51 MST Print View

I use a hard plastic Nalgene, just to be safe. Make sure whatever you're using is BPA-Free, since the BPA chemical is activated by hot water (if it isn't all hokum).

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: New Bottles on 02/06/2013 21:38:30 MST Print View

They'll soon find other chemicals that leach out of plastic when you put hot water in.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Using water bladders with hot water? on 02/06/2013 21:39:41 MST Print View

Easier to put socks on as a cosy on the bottles.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Using water bladders with hot water? on 02/06/2013 21:54:20 MST Print View

Platypus reports that their bladders can be frozen and will handle boiling hot water:

"Tough enough to handle temperatures from freezing to boiling" in the REI listing.

There is risk of leaking with any water container. Get the cap on right and watch for sharp stuff and damage. Platy's and Nalgenes work fine with common sense and reasonable caution.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: New Bottles on 02/07/2013 01:46:28 MST Print View

> They'll soon find other chemicals that leach out of plastic when you put hot water in.
Could be a bit difficult if there are no additives or plasticisers in the plastic to start with. Try PET.

Cheers

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Re: New Bottles on 02/07/2013 06:20:21 MST Print View

Would it be worth putting the bottle in to a dry bag as extra security.

Edited by stephenm on 02/07/2013 06:26:01 MST.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
pour on 02/07/2013 12:09:09 MST Print View

the trick is trying to pour boiling water safely in the bladder ... much easier with a nalgene IMO

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: pour on 02/07/2013 18:24:32 MST Print View

The nalgene has a huge mouth to it, so it's not too hard. Not like the tiny platypuses.