Men's Fairy Tale
Display Avatars Sort By:
spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Re: Seriously, then on 02/13/2013 13:55:58 MST Print View

I thought anything goes in chaff? It was just a question. Lighten up.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Seriously, then on 02/13/2013 14:45:37 MST Print View

"As the OP, what did you even find funny about the joke? It doesn't reflect your life. I would bet it doesn't reflect the lives of most happy people, married or not. Without believing in the gender stereotypes that supposedly make it funny...it really isn't much of a joke."

I found the joke to be funny too. But I also am aware of minimising sexist language. And I am also aware that there are MANY couples who are not in happy relationships, and to me the joke kinda glorifies these people. The use of "wife" and "husband" is still sometimes the best way to personify a bad relationship, which I find sad. But I never-the-less take is intended...a joke.

And, um, passing wind is a competition in our household too. As is belching. I always win the belching, my partner always wins the farting. So we are always 'even' and thus domestic bliss is ensured. Bring on the farting and belching jokes I say.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Men's Fairy Tale on 02/13/2013 15:16:36 MST Print View

So these two black Irish Jew unmarried gay whales walk into a bar.
The first one ducks

Disclaimer
No ducks were injured during the writing of this joke.
(verified by Peta, a friend of my wife)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Men's Fairy Tale on 02/13/2013 15:26:20 MST Print View

Sounds like my cousins Franco :-)

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Someone's Fairy Tale on 02/13/2013 15:40:06 MST Print View

Once upon a time, one person asked another person 'Will you commit to a long term relationship with me?'

The second person said,'NO!'

And the the first person lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and went fishing and hunting and played golf a lot and drank beer and expensive scotch and had tons of money in the bank and left the toilet seat up and farted whenever the person wanted.

And the second person shopped for shoes, had coffee with their friends or chatted for ages with them on the phone, drank white wine, cooked lots of low fat vegetarian dishes, always had the toilet seat down and walked around in their bathrobe whenever they wanted.

The End

You see, it just doesn't have the same ring to it!

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Whales on 02/13/2013 16:11:37 MST Print View

This is ridiculous and outrageous!

Whales can't walk... At least the Mormon ones can't.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Whales on 02/13/2013 17:08:13 MST Print View

Agree with Travis, but for different reasons: The Jews do not recognise same-sex whale relationships.

Edited by retropump on 02/13/2013 17:40:35 MST.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Men's Fairy Tale on 02/13/2013 17:26:57 MST Print View

Little Britain :
"I have seen the show and didn't like it or think it was funny"
No surprise there...
I used the Daffyd sketch because the running joke there is that Daffyd Thomas (the character) is not in fact gay however the writer and actor playing the part,Matt Lucas, is.
The point is that Daffyd wants to be noticed so he plays the victimised gay part when in fact in the village nobody cares if he is gay or not.
So Matt Lucas is having a go at attention seeking "victims"...
Here is Daffyd :
Daffyd

Lynn, I am now confused.
Do I keep the whale steaks in the meat or the dairy fridge ?
(I am not Japanese, if this helps)
Do guys in NZ still remain awake at night thinking of those cute jumping sheep?

Edited by Franco on 02/13/2013 17:33:03 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Someone's Fairy Tale on 02/13/2013 17:45:58 MST Print View

Okay okay. I've got one....

A gay boy scout and an embargoed cuban walk into a bar. They're arguing about, of all things, whether to use pertex or diluted silicone as a hair gel. They decide to bet on which one will cure fastest, and ask the bartender (a very, very happy woman who's partner, a woman who can out-belch the best of them, is at home relaxing) if she'll officiate.

She agrees, but first she must go to the bathroom, which is a simple hole in the floor and the bar's not even in Spain! She scribbles a Clymb invite on the wall before returning to the bar.

As the gay boy scout and embargoed cuban prepare to do battle, an old man at the end of bar, holding a dog-eared copy of Ayn Rand, strokes his silver beard and says: Jokes are like penises. Sometimes they're quite useful. Sometimes they're kinda funny. And sometimes they're just a pain in the ass. It's all about perspective.

Edited by idester on 02/13/2013 17:46:58 MST.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Men's Fairy Tale on 02/13/2013 17:54:39 MST Print View

"Lynn, I am now confused.
Do I keep the whale steaks in the meat or the dairy fridge ?
(I am not Japanese, if this helps)"

It depends on if the meat is from a male or female, and their respective sexual orientations. It would be bad practice to keep, e.g. a heterosexual male whale in the same fridge as a homosexual male whale. In that case, you should keep one in the dairy fridge, the other in the meat fridge.

"Do guys in NZ still remain awake at night thinking of those cute jumping sheep?"

Yeah, a ewe is a man's best friend. It allows him to eat, drink and watch TV to his hearts content without complaint, and never gets pregnant or spends his money or gives him STDs. Also the young ones are nice as a roast.

Edited by retropump on 02/13/2013 17:56:13 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Re: Whales on 02/13/2013 18:00:14 MST Print View

"Agree with Travis, but for different reasons: The Jews do not recognise same-sex whale relationships."

True. But Jews won't stone gay whales either. Takes way too many stones...

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Whales on 02/13/2013 19:46:34 MST Print View

>But Jews won't stone gay whales either.

Ah, used to be that way. Reports from Ireland suggest that there have been some stoned whales. The problem is they get lazy, do nothing but snack on junk food, and have bloodshot eyes. Their mating songs start sounding like Cheech Marin serenading a plate of brownies after a full Cheech and Chong film.

I also heard that the Boys Scout embargo of Cuba has gotten support from the Pope. Damn whales.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Whales on 02/13/2013 19:50:11 MST Print View

"I also heard that the Boys Scout embargo of Cuba has gotten support from the Pope. "

Hey, the Boy Scouts don't just embargo ANYBODY, they're a discriminating bunch.....

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Men's furry tail on 02/13/2013 20:55:03 MST Print View

Thanks Lynn.
Nice to know that some things never change.
I might just have to come back now.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Men's Fairy Tale on 02/13/2013 21:46:26 MST Print View

Just came back to this thread after a long absence. Wow! What a range of thoughts and emotions it's put me through. In that way very interesting thread.

Some thoughts.

Joking is really hard to get right for everyone. Especially across cultures.

Part of what I think joking does is alleviate the pain of unhappiness that people go through. Like Lynn said, there are a lot of unhappy relationships. What's kind of paradoxical is that having Lynn ask whether people are in happy or unhappy relationships is not going to get an even response here. Of course the ones in happy relationships are going to reply... they have nothing to lose. But the ones in unhappy relationships are not going to say anything, in part because it will spoil the mood of this thread. I was struck by the sheer silence of those in unhappy relationships. I will say this... I am in an unhappy relationship. I love her very deeply... but she is a serious bipolar alcoholic with an awful childhood. Can anyone say anything funny about that? (actually a bit of laughter would be a big stress reliever! (^ J ^)/" ). My point is that there is a lot of history behind all the members' BPL personas that the rest of us don't know. That affects how we react to what is written here. Do I feel sorry for myself? No.

Cesar has some very good points. I respect him a lot for being courageous enough to withstand the backlash and say what he believes, publicly, without making excuses or making it easier for himself. I've been through a lot of what he talks about as a Mexican (Black/ Filipino/ German growing up in Japan where foreigners are still very much lambasted and discriminated against everyday). When you've been ridiculed by a bigger group most of your life there just comes a point when you say, "Enough is enough!", and the stereotypes just don't seem funny anymore. But at the same time... how in the world can you make ANY jokes without conjuring up the typologies? That's what joking is all about!

Franco... about 99.9% of Japanese have never eaten whale in their life, most have never seen whale meat, and many completely disagree with whale hunting. Another media inflated stereotype. Most Japanese very much object to, in their perception, westerners telling everyone else what is right and wrong, especially since for Japanese it is hard to compete in having their opinion heard if most of what is in the media is in English, and very few people understand Japanese (and VERY few western journalists can properly speak Japanese). So much misunderstanding comes out what western journalists interpret about what Japanese think, rather than having the Japanese express their own opinions themselves. Most Japanese are not the monsters that the media portrays them as.

Lynn, I think I'm in love with you! (no, I know I don't have a chance in whale's frog eating orgy!) Not only do you have a way of saying everything right, but you and your partner love belching and farting! My kind of way of laughing and having fun!

Anyone else notice that the word "gay" slipped past everyone's filters? Penis, too. Do we now have revolution at BPL.com?

And a parting gift, about partnership that is well orchestrated:

wife and husband

A married couple is travelling by car from Victoria to Prince George .
Being seniors, after almost eleven hours on the road, they were too tired to continue and decided to take a room. But, they only planned to sleep for four hours and then get back on the road.

When they checked out four hours later, the desk clerk handed them a bill for $350.00.

The man explodes and demands to know why the charge is so high. He told the clerk although it's a nice hotel; the rooms certainly aren't worth $350.00 for four hours. Then the clerk tells him that $350.00 is the 'standard rate'. He insisted on speaking to the Manager.

The Manager appears, listens to him, and then explains that the hotel has an Olympic-sized pool and a huge conference centre that were available for us to use.

"But we didn't use them," the husband said.

"Well, they are here, and you could have," explained the Manager.

The Manager went on to explain that the couple could also have taken in one of the shows for which the hotel is famous. "We have the best entertainers from New York , Hollywood , and Las Vegas perform here," the Manager says.

"But we didn't go to any of those shows," the husband said.

"Well, we have them, and you could have," the Manager replied.

No matter what amenity the Manager mentioned, the husband replied, "But we didn't use it!"

The Manager is unmoved, and eventually the husband gave up and agreed topay. As he didn't have the check book, he asked his wife to write the check.
She did and gave it to the Manager.

The Manager is surprised when he looks at the check. "But ma'am, this is made out for only $50.00."

"That's correct. I charged you $300.00 for sleeping with me," she replied.

"But I didn't!" exclaims the Manager.

"Well, too bad, I was here, and you could have."

Don't mess with senior citizens..... They didn't get there by being stupid.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Men's Fairy Tale on 02/13/2013 22:20:56 MST Print View

Miguel

"about 99.9% of Japanese have never eaten whale in their life"
Yes Miguel , I watch world news . It just happens that Al Jazeera did a report on whale hunting and all of that only a few days ago.
My comment "I am not Japanese" is an obvious joke only to anyone that reads my name .

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Men's Fairy Tale on 02/13/2013 22:54:18 MST Print View

My comment "I am not Japanese" is an obvious joke only to anyone that reads my name .

Franco, yes, I got that. And know that you weren't condemning all Japanese. I just wanted to get the record straight about the whole whale-hunting scandal. I've spoken with too many people who went on unbelievable diatribes about Japanese and whaling, but who had never once spoken to or met a Japanese. I'm sure you've had more dealings with Japanese than most people.

ANYWAY, enough of my serious talk! (I'm too tired from crazy work hours right now to get a joke out right now, but I do appreciate them!)

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Men's Fairy Tale on 02/13/2013 23:31:42 MST Print View

> "Well, too bad, I was here, and you could have."

Perfect!

Cheers

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

ten fairy males on 02/14/2013 00:43:42 MST Print View

Miguel.
I think that I would like to be in Japan.
Sun,rum,reggae ,cricket and whale meat. What's not to like?
Anyway what part of the whale do you prefer ?

Cesar Valdez
(PrimeZombie) - F

Locale: Scandinavia
Re: Men's Fairy Tale on 02/14/2013 03:56:03 MST Print View

"I used the Daffyd sketch because the running joke there is that Daffyd Thomas (the character) is not in fact gay however the writer and actor playing the part,Matt Lucas, is.
The point is that Daffyd wants to be noticed so he plays the victimised gay part when in fact in the village nobody cares if he is gay or not.
So Matt Lucas is having a go at attention seeking "victims"..."

Ah ha. I see what you did there. You are indirectly implying that it is I who is an attention seeking psuedo-victim. You would think that I would look to forums and mediums where I would get more attention, rather than the website of some sub-type of a relatively less popular hobby. And you would think I would resort to tried and true tactics of attention getting, like immature name calling, all-caps stomping of the feet, funny and insulting GIFs and pictures, etc. I did none of that. I did not know that using logic and posting links to scientific studies is being an attention whore. I think if you go back and re-read (or read properly for the first time) my posts, it's pretty clear I am not looking for attention or that I am setting myself up as a victim. But, as with calling someone a "troll" (in spite of me not hiding my identity), writing off someone that challenges your assumptions as an attention seeking victim is an easy and effective thing to do. Much easier than say, actually addressing my posts and the points raised and discussed. But for anyone paying attention your evasion and ad homs are apparent. But remember: it was you that came at me guns a blazing.

As for the TV show in question, I guess it never occured to you that one could not like the show or find it funny for reasons other than the controversial gender play it explores. For example, the jokes are predictable and pretty much repackaged old gags directed at the hoi polloi. I even gave the show a chance too, and watched several episodes. But the sketches, most of them are one-trick ponies. The adult rich man that still breast feeds, the gag is the same every time--he is going to shock people around him by breast feeding. The guy in the wheelchair is always going to get up and walk around when his caretaker is not looking. Wash, rinse, repeat, etc.

I think sketch comedy shows like Monty Python are funny, and they cover all sorts of controversial and potentially "offensive" topics. To a lesser extent, Kids in the Hall too. The Buddy Cole character by comedian Scott Thompson I think is far funnier than the one you bring to the table, not to mention much more successful as a social commentary/critique on both the heteronomrative western society and on the alpha-gay males of the homosexual male sub-culture. Not to mention that Buddy Cole is a dynamic character that is put in lots of different situations and sketches.

Also, side note: thanks for those of you that got something out of my contributions to this thread, and for your kind words and encouragement. :)