Forum Index » GEAR » Zimmerbuilt Hip Pack: Pictures!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Zimmerbuilt Hip Pack: Pictures! on 02/04/2013 19:14:48 MST Print View

Chris Zimmer finished my custom ordered hip pack today. I designed and sketched it myself, including measurements, and used input from his vast gear-making experience to figure out where to use certain thicknesses of fabric, what size zipper to use, and how to attach the webbing belt.

The finished project is all Dyneema D40 (similar to DX40, without the black X ply yarn). It's designed to be worn while wearing a backpack, in the front or back, and the zipper is positioned to be easy to open behind my back while cycling.

I'll be using it primarily to hold frequently used items while cycling. I brush my teeth, apply sunscreen and lip balm, check my GPS, check my compass, adjust my helmet, tie bandannas, and eat meals while pedaling. I usually do this with my hands off the handlebars, so I can cover miles while doing basic stuff. Because of that, I need access to several items easily, without having to reach forward into a handlebar bag. I've used this system for thousands of miles, but in the process, i tore through or wore out 4 hip packs from TNF, Inov-8, and Patagonia.

This pack is overbuilt, with double Dyneema on the bottom and sides. It's 12" by 3" by 4", so almost 2.5l. Total weight: 4.5oz

While backpacking, it'll hold stuff that might rip a hipbelt pocket like a titanium spork and a small leatherman, and it'll hold small camera stuff like my lens cap. I'll also store stuff that I don't want to get too wet, like my phone and headlamp.

Without further ado, the pictures!Zimmer Hip1
Zimmer Hip
Zimmer Hip3
Zimmer Hip4

I want to thank Chris Zimmer for his hard work. I look forward to getting my first custom pack from him, since he was so easy to work with. I also want to thank the BPL forum for connecting me!

I'll post some reviews of it here when I use it, but I doubt anyone will be surprised. Zimmerbuilt's reputation speaks for itself.

Edited by mdilthey on 02/04/2013 20:13:56 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Zimmerbuilt Hip Pack: Pictures! on 02/04/2013 19:57:14 MST Print View

Fresh.

I like the idea of using this while on the bike. A small stretch pocket on the front or one of the sides would have been a nice addition for stuffing spent gel wrappers, trash, etc. without having to zip and unzip. Zipping is easy enough though, assuming the pack doesn't spin around your waist.

Chris Z. has the skills.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Some details not shown. on 02/04/2013 20:07:39 MST Print View

I have a trash holder in a bag on my top tube, so I didn't think of it. Someone could add one pretty easily on the sides, or even the bottom if the bungee was tight.

I forgot to mention, not shown: there's a slightly large stretch pocket on the inside to keep a bike tool secure so it doesn't break sunglasses, and a thin pocket to keep a passport and an ID. The front zip pocket is also flat.

Also, +1 on Fresh. I have a pretty unique style, and I'm trying to decide if I want to wear this out to the bar with the right vintage T-shirt and shades...

Edited by mdilthey on 02/04/2013 20:08:20 MST.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Some details not shown. on 02/04/2013 20:12:35 MST Print View

"...I'm trying to decide if I want to wear this out to the bar with the right vintage T-shirt and shades..."

Hey, if it works for the Hulkster...

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Re: Re: Some details not shown. on 02/04/2013 20:14:57 MST Print View

Thanks, brother!

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
zippers on 02/04/2013 20:45:41 MST Print View

Nice pack Max. I just got a Pearl Izumi convertable flourescent biking jacket so I am with you on wanting to be seen, especially by rednecks in pickups with wide West Coast mirrors.

BTW, Does your fanny pack have waterproof zippers?

(If you wear it to a bar be sure to NOT sling ot over your shoulder like a "European men's bag". ;O) Then it would look like you were "accessorizing".

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Some details not shown. on 02/04/2013 20:46:33 MST Print View

Man, gotta get some those hiking shorts to match my new shoes!

Waves

Edited by ngatel on 02/04/2013 20:48:06 MST.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Re: zippers on 02/04/2013 20:48:38 MST Print View

Yes, those zippers are waterproof. After I take a look at the seams, I'll decide if they look roadsplash-worthy. If not, I'll use some seam sealer. Dyneema D40 is waterproof, for those who don't know (I didn't know last week).

As for the shoulder part, now that the idea has been planted in my brain it's only a matter of a BAC threshold before I do it at the bar. Thanks for nothing!!!

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Re: Re: Re: Some details not shown. on 02/04/2013 20:50:23 MST Print View

Re. shoes:

Last Night's super bowl party outfit:

Slim clay-colored canvas pants
Black T-shirt

Vibram 5-fingers. Why do the women look away?!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Some details not shown. on 02/04/2013 20:52:20 MST Print View

Well, Eugene warned you about those shoes...

:)

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Re: Eugene on 02/04/2013 20:59:43 MST Print View

I'm going to start including the level of day-to-day incorporation into all my gear reviews.

"The Vibram FF fit great and made my feet feel awesome, but they scored 0/10 points with Cara. Morgan, however, hikes and found them to be excellent."

"The C.A.M.P. Men's ED Slim jacket is a great weight to warmth item, but the number of potential suitors made it unwearable in most german techno clubs."

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Some details not shown. on 02/04/2013 21:03:42 MST Print View

"Why do the women look away?!"

It's the 'stache, dude. Sorry to be the one to break the news to you.....

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
ED Slim jacket?? on 02/04/2013 21:09:10 MST Print View

Max, I was totally unaware that there was a prescription jacket for men suffering from ED. Is it to be worn to bed as well? ;o)

(So... if you wear the CAMP Men's ED jacket AND your fanny pack on your shoulder are you saying you would get even more unwanted attention?) Jus' sayin'

Edited by Danepacker on 02/04/2013 21:12:30 MST.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Actually... on 02/04/2013 21:11:14 MST Print View

In Western MA, the stache is actually a plus. It's a rare, isolated environment. My profile pic has a story:

At the beginning of the 2012 cycling tour, I neglected to get a buzz cut, which I really wanted to keep from getting hot. Night #1, we biked 60 miles from North Adams to Amherst, MA and camped in my buddy's front lawn. The next day, our mutual friend gave me a buzz cut.

"Let's give you a Road Warrior mohawk!"

It didn't work, so we buzzed it off.

"How about a road warrior beard trim!"

We took out a 2-inch rectangle underneath my lower lip, so I had mutton chops connected to a stache. I wore it for about 150 miles, but I ditched the chops in Hull, MA because we were attending a huge family gathering and I knew I'd hear about it for a decade. The Freddy Mercury stache lasted the rest of the tour.

That picture there is from about Day 22, so there's like 16 days of beard. I've since kept the look...

Edited by mdilthey on 02/04/2013 21:11:58 MST.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Probably in Northampton. on 02/04/2013 21:14:23 MST Print View

Eric,

I will test this in the field and report back in exhaustive detail.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Some details not shown. on 02/04/2013 21:14:59 MST Print View

Trust Doug. He's the women look away expert.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Some details not shown. on 02/04/2013 21:17:25 MST Print View

"It's the 'stache, dude. Sorry to be the one to break the news to you....."

Never trust anyone with facial hair.

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
Re: Re: Re: Re: Some details not shown. on 02/05/2013 18:00:22 MST Print View

"Vibram 5-fingers. Why do the women look away?!"

http://xkcd.com/1065/

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

xkcd on 02/05/2013 19:46:54 MST Print View

Hahaha. Nice!

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

First Impressions on 02/07/2013 15:17:26 MST Print View

The pack is great. Very precise craftsmanship. I've used it out on the bike, and it doesn't move around at all. I'm thrilled! It doesn't look like I'll need to seam seal it, but I know I have the option to.

Some design stuff that I kind of want to add now that it's in front of me; a little bit of thin padding around the back for structure and comfort, and a little larger of a passport pocket. In case someone else is looking to pick one up at some point.