Pak Rifle Questions
Display Avatars Sort By:
robert van putten
(Bawana) - F

Locale: Planet Bob
Keltec PMR-30 on 02/05/2013 16:38:10 MST Print View

Not a rifle but dang!

keltec PMR-30

13.6 ounces empty, carries 30 ( ! ) rounds...

Andrew U
(anarkhos) - M

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming
Thanks Everyone :) on 02/05/2013 18:05:57 MST Print View

Thanks guys so much for all the responses so far.

The Ruta Locura PRK for the Crickett is looking to be freaking awesome, though a bit pricy in total.

The Kel Tec PMR30 is also very appetizing as a kit/self defense? gun, but I'm concentrating more on the hunting aspect, and I'd rather not have an excuse to haul extra ammo into the woods for target practice. Wouldn't be able to help myself with a 30 round magazine.

I've been going back and forth on the Marlin Papoose for like 2 years now. I've shot one several times and loved it. I know from both reviews and friend recommendations that this gun is extremely reliable. Slightly heavier at almost 3.5 lbs, but doable I suppose. But I honestly don't need a semi automatic rifle for backpacking. I feel if I can't kill what I'm shooting at with one shot, I don't have any right bringing a gun on a backpacking trip where hunting isn't necessarily the primary goal. Which is also the main reason I want to go truly as UL as possible on this particular piece of gear.

Josh Leavitt
(Joshleavitt) - F

Locale: Ruta Locura
Pack Rifle on 02/07/2013 12:38:15 MST Print View

I designed the original Pak-Rifle that Ryan did the review of. That rifle does not have any elevation adjustment, that is the accuracy issue. It will group just fine, but that may be 3" high or low, with no way to compensate, except for using a scope. This issue was not by my design, but rather a restriction imposed by the tight wad manufacture I worked for at the time. It is a very good design, but is not executed well, and they charge way too much for what it is. They changed the name from Pak-rifle to pack-rifle after I left the company uncompensated for my work. They are also operating under a different FFL (federal firearms license) which usually indicates legal issues. Buyer beware.

The PRK, "pack rifle kit" that I currently produce has been reviewed in Petersen Hunting magazine, and builds on all of the lightweight tech from the original. The Ruta Locura PRK uses much higher grade carbon fiber than does the other. The "pak-rifle" is actually quite fragile, the stock can easily break, and the barrel is not as strong as the Ruta Locura PRK. This is merely a function of material choice, not design. You can do pull ups on a PRK, dont even think about it with a pak-rifle. As for delam, I have been building those barrels for 17 years now, and I have never had a failure. The rifled steel liner is the same high quality used by all the big carbon fiber barrel builders.

As mentioned above, the real weight savings is in the barrel. The carbon barrel I build is only 4.5oz. There is some weight to be shaved out of the stock, but not as much as the barrel. The biggest gain WRT the stock, is getting the bulk down. That alone makes a big difference. Also as mentioned above, please keep all mods legal. Barrels can not be shorter than 16", and functioning rifles can not be longer than 26". If the rifle is not in a functioning condition when shorter than 26", you are ok.

Kevin Buggie
(kbuggie) - M

Locale: NW New Mexico
Thanks Josh on 02/07/2013 15:09:53 MST Print View

for your post and openness; that's exactly the updated backstory I was hoping to get from a 'rolling review' from BPL.

The Kel-tec pistols are tempting and accuracy issues could be compensated for by: 1)the grouses dead chicken like behavior (you can literally trip over these birds in the Pecos Wilderness); 2)abundant trees for a benchrest; 3) practice

but....all things considered the longer barrel of a rifle would undoubtedly be better for UL grouse hunting. Plus, going for the modded crickett approach would allow me to build my arsenal in steps as my budget and interest dictates:

1) Buy and use the crickett this season (cost $130-175)

2) Build my own lighter stock using materials quoted above in the thread ($10)

3) Order the PRK kit from Ruta Locura (cost $250)

In the end cost would be high, but I would have a grouse gun as light as the commercial PACKrifle, but with a stronger barrel, proven steel bolt and receiver, and accurate sights.

When it comes to fruition I'll post an update to this thread. Thanks again to everyone's input.