November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
bag temperature guidance for TX/OK/AR region
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Ray
(thaddeussmith) - F
bag temperature guidance for TX/OK/AR region on 02/02/2013 16:03:24 MST Print View

Most of my backpacking will be in these three states for the foreseeable future, so just trying to get some guidance on bag ratings that I should consider. Pretty much decided on an EE quilt, but not sure if I should go for 20, 30, or 40 degrees based on this region. Any advice?

Michael Ray
(thaddeussmith) - F
i guess i should add on 02/02/2013 16:05:51 MST Print View

I'm a human radiator when I sleep, and I will probably be matching this up with an Exped synmat ul 7

Jason Torres
(burytherails) - F

Locale: Texas
tx/ok/ar on 02/08/2013 19:12:36 MST Print View

I am from TX and regularly camp, climb, and hike in the areas you listed. The 30 will be sufficient. I give off a ton of heat as well. Ive slept in my 30 down to about 15 in cap 2 pant, cap 2 long sleeve, fleece 1/4 zip, and fleece hat. you shouldn't need more than a closed cell pad.

Nathaniel Roseberry

Locale: TX
Go for 20 on 02/11/2013 12:06:42 MST Print View

I've got the EE quilt rated to 20 and I got cold recently at Grasslands at about 25 to 30 degrees. It's easier to vent the quilt when it's 50 degrees than to get warmer when it's 20.