Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Quick Quilt Size "?"
Display Avatars Sort By:
A W
(lost_01)
Quick Quilt Size "?" on 02/02/2013 10:20:35 MST Print View

Exhausted the search capabilities, just wanted to check:

I'm a skinny 6'2, but most quilt sizes I am looking to purchase are 6'0 or 6'6 (long).

Was hoping to see what most of you who are my height do - deal with the 6'0 (I'm a side sleeper with a slight bend in my knees when I sleep, maybe that's ok?) or go with the full 6'6?

*for reference, this will be my first quilt, and I am going for the katabatic palisade for a JMT trip this year.

Thanks!

Edited by lost_01 on 02/02/2013 10:22:56 MST.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Wide? on 02/02/2013 10:28:50 MST Print View

Just to add to your thinking, as a side sleeper, you may be better with the wide version.
Only trial and (expensive) error will give you an answer.

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Quick Quilt Size on 02/02/2013 10:31:28 MST Print View

I am 6' 3" and a side sleeper too. All of my quilts (6) are between 70" - 72" inside length. I don't want my quilt over my head, just tucked to my chin.

Darren M.
(dmacdaddy)

Locale: West
Quilt Size on 02/03/2013 11:43:29 MST Print View

I'm 6' and the standard length is perfect for me. If I were you, I'd go with the 6'6. Better yet, just give Aaron a call and get his take...great guy to deal with!

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
Quilt size on 02/03/2013 11:49:19 MST Print View

As Tim at EE has mentioned, a 6'6" quilt is not as long as a sleeping bag of the same size due to some loss in length when the end is cinched up. I am 6'1" and the 6'6" quilt fits me nicely with a little space left. The wide cut is great for side sleepers or those of us that are bigger(cough cough).

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Quick Quilt Size on 02/03/2013 15:35:28 MST Print View

I am 6 foot, but went with an extra long for my Zpacks quilt and it is just right. I like to be able to pull the quilt over my head a little.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Quick Quilt Size on 02/03/2013 16:29:13 MST Print View

I agree with others. Go for the longer quilt, even at the expense of weight. That will help ensure your feet won't be pressing up against and compressing the insulation in the foot region.

Toby Salz
(tobysalz)
"Quick Quilt Size "?"" on 02/03/2013 17:42:05 MST Print View

i'd seriously consider going with the wide if you are a side sleeper. i ended up with a 6' foot wide chisos (i'm 5'11") with 2 oz overfill (anything more than 2 oz seems to shorten the bag for what i can tell from others posts) -- couldn't be happier. talk to aaron about your issues. super helpful. palisade is also currently out of stock (i think likely to the outdoor gear lab review).