Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Sub 100g Liquid feed canister stove
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle
Sub 100g Liquid feed canister stove on 04/13/2007 21:45:45 MDT Print View

This is my attempt to make a sub 100g liquid feed canister stove. The stove in its current form (pictured below) weighs in at 97.3g, 3.43oz. It is based on a MSR Pocket Rocket, which I used the burner head, the mixing tube and two pot stands from.

The two control valves, the preheat tube and fuel line I designed and made. The control valves have aluminium bodies with Titanium needles. The preheat tube is made from Stainless Steel hypodermic tubing, the connecting tube is 1/16 inch OD thick wall Stainless Steel tubing which is somewhat flexible.

The stove in its initial testing appears to work quite well and I have boiled 750ml of water on it using my 1L Snow Peak pot. I have not field tested it.

I am already planning some modifications some to reduce the weight even more eg: Ti mixing tube shorter pot stand legs and some like a removable fuel line to make it easier to use but will ad some weight.

Tony

100g stove folded
100g stove
100g stove in use

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Sub 100g Liquid feed canister stove on 04/14/2007 19:36:06 MDT Print View

Tony,

Very creative! I'm too nervous to try that (KABOOM!) I wish I had your skill.

Keep us updated...

Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Sub 100g Liquid feed canister stove on 04/14/2007 21:21:58 MDT Print View

Tony, about all I can say is WOW! I will be putting my Coleman Extreme on a diet before winter. Your giving me a great idea of what may be possible. One question, what did you use to hold the canister upside down? Is it something you found and modified, or custom fabricated?

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

Re:Re: Sub 100g Liquid feed canister stove on 04/14/2007 21:59:43 MDT Print View

Hi Eric,

The device that I use to hold the Canister upside down is a cut down lid from a spray paint can that I had lying around, it fits and secures the canisters beautifully and is very light, the one in the picture weighs 5.7g (0.2oz) and I think I can get another gram or two with out compromising the strength.

Tony

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Sub 100g Liquid feed canister stove on 04/15/2007 01:57:54 MDT Print View

Hi Tony

Beautiful!

Does the fuel line hook straight to the preheat tube, or is it all one piece?

How did you find machining the Ti needle valve, and putting O-ring grooves and especially the screw thread on it? I've got the Ti rod, just haven't had time to machine a needle valve out of it yet. But I did have some trouble using a die on some Ti wire. Hard stuff.

What size O-rings on the needle valve?

Cheers
Roger

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

Re: Sub 100g Liquid feed canister stove on 04/15/2007 04:30:57 MDT Print View

The fuel line and pre heat tube are currently brazed together, I thought I would try the idea out, whilst it works I don’t like it because when I fold the stove up I feel that the fuel line has to be bend a bit to tight so I am planning to make the fuel line removable.

Ti can be hard to machine I did not have much trouble machining the Ti in the lathe I used ‘sharp’ good quality High Speed Tool Steel tools and used small cuts, the o-ring grooves were no problem but I did have some problems with the threading, the first die was a bit blunt when I used a sharp die I had no problems, but I think I will cut the threads on the lathe next time. I also took the edge off my 12mm end mill cutter machining some flats in the needle.

I am currently using ¼ inch od 0.070 inch cross section o-ring I am currently looking at using 3/16 inch od o-ring.

I have nearly finished remaking the powermax adaptor, when I do I am going to start to make version 2 of the sub 100g stove I think I can get it down below 90g.

Tony

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Sub 100g Liquid feed canister stove on 04/16/2007 04:58:14 MDT Print View

> Ti can be hard to machine
Glad it was not just me who had problems!
I have been using carefully sharpened carbide. Much safer.
Fat O-rings seems more reliable.
Cheers

Yukio Yamakawa
(JSBJSB) - F

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN
It's New style stove! on 04/17/2007 06:46:05 MDT Print View

the stove of the small double form of a doughnut, and them -- "angel stove" it is . The animation is also upload(ed) to Youtube. Please observe a part for the terminal area of a white canister. They use devising the automatic valve and screw of a canister. The valve function by the side of a stove is deleted. Since a gas mass flow can be adjusted in screw lump condition, this is enough. The usual gas regulation can be about performed convenient in the range of half-rotation. Probably, you are already having noticed. That heavy valve function is already unnecessary.

Sspict1895 

http://ikaros.air-nifty.com/./photos/uncategorized/ssimg_0995.jpg

Edited by JSBJSB on 04/17/2007 07:13:54 MDT.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
Yukiosan, question? on 04/17/2007 07:07:31 MDT Print View

Yukiosan,
I saw your stove videos on youtube; great work with those burners. Your designs are light weight, and have a minium of parts.
A question please. Do you know of a gas hose with Lindal (canister) valves on both ends (male at one end, female at the other end)? This would allow a Jetboil to run with a remote canister.
Thank you.

Yukio Yamakawa
(JSBJSB) - F

Re: Yukiosan, question? on 04/17/2007 08:11:22 MDT Print View

Thank you .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrywmLM047 g&mode=related&search =

the minimum type adapter of a 2mm inside diameter is already used. Some kinds are made as an experiment and it has announced to Youtube. The its original work stove of people who were excellent in many is also in Japan.
A wonderful work is due to be announced soon.

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

re:It's New style stove! on 04/17/2007 17:45:38 MDT Print View

Hi Yukiosan,

Very nice innovative stove research and development work. Thankyou for sharing your work. I look forward to seeing future developments.

Tony

Yukio Yamakawa
(JSBJSB) - F

Re: re:It's New style stove! on 04/18/2007 03:26:52 MDT Print View

Name1 here is angel stove line up.

ps
The quality of the material of a rubber tube is nitrile? rubber. inner size is 2mm、6mm of outer diameter. It purchased in the nearby DIY store. One was \200 by 50cm length.

Edited by JSBJSB on 04/18/2007 22:25:10 MDT.

Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Re: re:It's New style stove! on 04/18/2007 09:09:17 MDT Print View

Yukiosan, thanks for the recent picture! It answers a number of questions I had, though I still have a few. What material is the fuel line tube made of? I'm surprised that it stays attached to the brass tubing with the pressure from the canister. Has this been a problem? Have you had a problem with the copper wire melting? Thanks for sharing your ingenious designs!

Edited by ericnoble on 04/18/2007 09:10:11 MDT.