Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Challenging weather- how would you handle this situation?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
re: synthetic quilt on 04/03/2013 13:33:32 MDT Print View

I couldn't be happier with the MLD spirit quilt 48 I ended up getting.

Earplugs- no. I wouldn't want to drown out the night time noises (coyotes, falling rain, insects, tree frogs, etc). It is very much a part of the experience for me, and I've come to accept the fact that I'm going to be awake for some part of every night. Usually, when I am awake, I'm content to snuggle in my quilt, just grateful to be out. Besides, I'm usually not around people.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: re: synthetic quilt on 04/03/2013 14:38:48 MDT Print View

It is is nice to fall asleep listening to ambient noises, I got in to the habit of using them back home if camped in exposed spots where the wind striking the tent fly can be very noisy.

Sounds like you have your winter kit dialled in :-)

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
synthetic over-quilt on 04/03/2013 15:03:10 MDT Print View

I recently purchased a 50* Synthetic quilt from EE for these same purposes. It arrived a couple of weeks ago but our (rare) cold winter storms are already done until next winter, so I won't get to try it out coupled with my Katabatic quilt(s) for about 8 or 9 months. Oh well, it will work well as a warm weather summertime quilt by itself too.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Challenging weather- how would you handle this situation? on 04/03/2013 16:30:07 MDT Print View

> some experienced perspectives about how you would handle these conditions.
IF you can't get/keep your sleep gear dry, things are grim. Short answer: go home, or at least retreat to dry warm shelter. You are not fighting WW III.

Some people have suggested that you MUST stay dry. Nice idea, but fairyland. Sometimes you can't do that. Just not possible. Accept that and move on.

Cheers