Neil Johnstone
(nsjohnstone) - MLife
Your fav solo winter backpacking tent? on 02/03/2013 01:50:16 MST Print View

The Soulo works quite well.

Soulo

Thomas Gauperaa
(gauperaa) - F - M

Locale: Norway
Re: Your fav solo winter backpacking tent? on 02/03/2013 03:31:33 MST Print View

Yes, the Soulo looks very strong and stable: http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=kLligRPO4tU

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Your fav solo winter backpacking tent? on 02/03/2013 03:40:44 MST Print View

If a bit of snow does it for you , then I'll propose my Notch :

Notch on snow
OK,just kidding...

Edited by Franco on 02/03/2013 03:41:49 MST.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Soulo on 02/03/2013 10:40:17 MST Print View

Regarding the Soulo. It would be a good shelter, unless you have to carry it.
Totally NOT UL.

I know a lot of people don't have problem with a 5+ lb shelter, but I couldn't do it.

Some people love the idea of a dome shelter for winter use and all the heavy hardware that is required to make a dome work in the winter, but I'd personally look into another design.
A-frame, pyramid, tunnel and other styles give a better weight to weatherproofness ratio.

Dan Geiger
(Ramcam)
Akto Scarp hybrid on 02/03/2013 13:43:54 MST Print View

I think an Akto with the Scarp Extra pole setup would be ideal. A nice snow load freestanding option.That kerlon fabric is tough.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Soulo on 02/03/2013 14:57:33 MST Print View

I would like to know what's classed as a UL Solo winter tent?

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
what's UL on 02/03/2013 14:59:15 MST Print View

Whatever you feel safe in using.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: what's UL on 02/03/2013 15:06:28 MST Print View

Very wise answer Ray.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Your fav solo winter backpacking tent? on 02/03/2013 15:15:19 MST Print View

Funny. I was looking at the Hilleberg catalogue last night and was surprised to see that both the Akto and Soulo have both gained considerable weight over the last couple of years. 3 lbs, 12 oz for the former and 5 lbs, 5 oz for the latter. Was there a change to the Kerlon fabric? The Soulo is now heavier than many dedicated 2 person winter shelters and it is small.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Your fav solo winter backpacking tent? on 02/03/2013 15:33:33 MST Print View

I have not seen the new catalogue Dave but a buddy was telling me about the weights advertised for the Soulo and Atko.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Material on 02/03/2013 16:22:15 MST Print View

I have never heard of either standard silnylon, spinnaker or mid-weight cuben failing from snow weight. The exception would be in cases of abuse or poor anchoring, which can happen.

The most common failures I've seen have been from wind and that can happen any time of year.

I have sat out tropical storms in exposed areas in shelters made out of these lighter materials without issue as long as I fully anchored all tie-outs.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Your fav solo winter backpacking tent? on 02/03/2013 17:58:37 MST Print View

I have never heard of either standard silnylon, spinnaker or mid-weight cuben failing from snow weight..
Same here.
I have seen fabric failure AFTER pole failure, that is poles punch through the fabric. I can't think of a case the other way around.

I think an Akto with the Scarp Extra pole setup would be ideal.
Might as well use the Scarp 1 with those x poles then...

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: 40°N,-105°W-ish
Hilleberg published weights for 2013 on 02/03/2013 22:32:23 MST Print View

Like David, I was looking at the 2013 Hilleberg catalog yesterday. Packed weights have gone up between 3-7oz for most tents in the Kerlon 1800 and Kerlon 1200 lines, although suspiciously the Unna and Nallo 4 are unchanged.

You don't buy Hilleberg to go UL, but these revisions are disappointing. From other threads it appeared that the spec change occurred some time around the 2010/2011 model years, although the 4P Saitaris was introduced in 2011 and its packed weight was also revised up 6oz in the newest catalog.

Don Selesky
(backslacker) - M
Re: Your fav solo winter backpacking tent? on 02/04/2013 11:06:59 MST Print View

I have an old Warmlight 2R tent I like. While it's a 2 man tent with something like 40 sq. ft. of space, it only tips the scales at around 3 pounds 5 ounces.

Actually, my current solo winter tent is a hammock. :-)

Edited by backslacker on 02/04/2013 11:09:16 MST.