Your fav solo winter backpacking tent?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Your fav solo winter backpacking tent? on 02/01/2013 14:00:26 MST Print View

My choice would be a Hilleberg Akto or similar, with guy lines tie-outs midpoint on each ridge to handle snow load.

Maybe a heavy duty main pole and an interior X-ing pole beneath the fly.

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
"WISHLIST" on 02/01/2013 14:17:29 MST Print View

I don't own one yet, but I have been lusting over the Hilleberg Unna. I think it would be the perfect solo winter setup for me. I tried out an AKTO and Soulo in a store, but the AKTO was a little to short (verticle wise) for me. I though the solou whould work for me, but the extra room on the inside of the Unna would be of greater benefit and flexivility to me.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: "WISHLIST" on 02/01/2013 14:21:46 MST Print View

I really like the Hilleberg Soulo.
Would prefer if it was lighter.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Your fav solo winter backpacking tent? on 02/01/2013 15:57:55 MST Print View

No regrets after buying an Unna. It's a rock in the wind.

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
black diamond light house on 02/01/2013 16:13:06 MST Print View

palace for one and if needed for two not so bad, especially if you have the optional vestibule.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Winter solo tent on 02/01/2013 16:57:49 MST Print View

Hilleberg Unna. A winner in all seasons.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Your fav solo winter backpacking tent? on 02/01/2013 17:03:26 MST Print View

For a guy who has a Scarp 2, I wonder why not a Scarp 1?

Here is my favorite winter shelter...

winter 2008
Winter 2008

winter 2009
Winter 2009

Winter 2011
Winter 2011

Winter 2012
Winter 2012

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Your fav solo winter backpacking tent? on 02/01/2013 17:06:19 MST Print View

Nice Nick

Sometimes when I camp like that, and it's windy, a lot of sand and grit blows at me and into my sleeping bag

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Your fav solo winter backpacking tent? on 02/01/2013 17:34:38 MST Print View

"Sometimes when I camp like that, and it's windy, a lot of sand and grit blows at me and into my sleeping bag"

Yeah, that can be a problem. Last Feb a bunch of us got hit with gusts up to 50 mph (not in the weather forecast) and temps down around freezing. Two out of 4 shelters collapsed, the other two were tarps that were still standing in the morning. Tarps can't eliminate all the sand though. I was fine with no shelter, except a creosote bush as a wind block :)

no shelter
Here I am setting up my shelterless bed.

I have had good luck in really bad winds with my old Chouinard Pyramid, but it is heavy. The Scarp 1 with cross overs can probably handle just about anything we would see in the desert. But it is heavy too.

I have a Trailstar on order for windy weather, I think it is going to do well pitched low.

We shall see.

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
winter solo tent on 02/01/2013 21:48:12 MST Print View

When I see the word "winter," I think of merciless wind, temperatures that unpredictably can drop below zero F., sleet, hail, bottomless drifts of deep snow, post-holing, maybe with some driving rain, but only when it is interspersed with the former; and sometimes, less than half the time, sunshine on snow. From now on, I will understand better that "winter" has different meanings in different places. Nice photos!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: winter solo tent on 02/01/2013 22:59:38 MST Print View

I have decided to start spending my winter season with Nick. Those pictures look like they are from my summer season.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Winter shelter on 02/02/2013 10:26:14 MST Print View

My favorite winter shelters that I have owned:
Golite Hut(now called Shangri-la) - not so light
GG Spinnshlter(spinnaker) - lighter
MLD Patrol(cuben) - even lighter and more durable

All of these because of the way they perform in harsh windy conditions.
They can be pitched in full protection mode.
Snow slides to the ground.
They won't collapse from wet snow if properly anchored.

If wind was less of a problem, but VERY heavy snow is a possibility, my Oware Alphamid(or any good pyramid).

All of these shelters are light and flexible enough to use as a summer shelter as well.
You can't say that about most 4 season shelters.

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Your fav solo winter backpacking tent? on 02/02/2013 13:30:29 MST Print View

The one that I have that trip. (Yeah, a cop-out, I know.) Here's yesterday's favorite.Nook on NCT

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: winter solo tent on 02/02/2013 15:31:24 MST Print View

"From now on, I will understand better that "winter" has different meanings in different places."

Oh... I didn't catch that the OP meant snow. Well, where I live I can choose what kind of weather I want to hike in. If I want snow, it is less than an hour away. If I want warm, it is less than an hour away. My location does not determine what weather I am forced to hike in. I can hike in any weather I want in winter. I like choices in life. So if I want snow, I can go. And when I tire of it, I can leave quickly for warm winter weather. Both are less than an hour away.

March Weather
March weather.

or

March Weather
scarp 1

Take your pick.

P.S. I am just being mean. My wife said I had to stay home this weekend :(

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Nice pix on 02/02/2013 18:31:18 MST Print View

Nick,

Great photo of your Scarp 2 and MSR Lightning Ascent 'shoes.

Geeze, great minds think alike. I too have the same gear. Wish I had a great mind, the best "gear" of all.

You are a gentleman of exquisite taste. ;O)

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Nice pix on 02/02/2013 20:17:03 MST Print View

Thanks, Eric.

Actually it is a Scarp 1.

3 of the desert pictures in my first post are in your backyard. Every December I do a trip in Southern Nevada.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Nice pix on 02/02/2013 22:19:05 MST Print View

Scarp2 and Ascents here too!

Eric, you got a beard?

long day at work

George Davis
(nsiderbam) - F

Locale: mid-Atlantic
Re: Re: Nice pix on 02/02/2013 23:04:34 MST Print View

@Nick

I go home (to Vegas) every Christmas and summer and had no idea that there was any backpacking that close. I was sure that Lake Mead and the surrounding areas were closed off for foot travel because everything down there are random "no trespassing" signs everywhere!

I've read through some of your trail reports and wish I'd read them two winters ago when I drove up to Zion between Christmas and New Years to get a quick backpacking fix in. I understand that you kind of want to keep those areas secluded and secret, but I might have to do a quick trip next time I get to go home!

Vince Contreras
(pillowthread) - F

Locale: like, in my head???
More Hille love... on 02/02/2013 23:08:42 MST Print View

Yeah, I'll twelfth the Akto...find flatish ground, pitch tent, sleep. Repeat until satisfied.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Your fav solo winter backpacking tent? on 02/03/2013 00:32:27 MST Print View

Yeah, I'll twelfth the Akto

Three comments on the Akto so far...
Eric does not have one but potentialy he likes that or similer ones...
Ben found it too short
Vince loves his...

Good news :the perfect winter tent will never be made.