Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » 2 new packs

Display Avatars Sort By:
Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - F - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
2 new packs on 01/31/2013 10:39:41 MST Print View

Finished these up last weekend. Both are (mostly) a full dyneema/cuben laminate. Lots more details and pictures here.asgd

adfg

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
2 new packs on 01/31/2013 10:50:23 MST Print View

You're good, Brendan, really good. Those are sweet looking packs. Now I'm wishing I'd picked up some DX-40 when you offered it.

Christopher Zimmer
(czimmer) - F

Locale: Ohio
Very Nice! on 01/31/2013 10:59:13 MST Print View

Great looking packs Brendan, very well done! Is the dyneema/cuben material you used on the front and sides from Cubic?

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - F - MLife

Re: Very Nice! on 01/31/2013 11:12:26 MST Print View

Thanks Gary. I do have 3 yds of DX40 left ;)

Chris, it's not from Cubic. I'm not sure the supplier wants it advertised, but it was from a pack company who uses it. It wasn't hard to find/acqure (just to decide if it was worth it...). In the end I was confident enough to know what I wanted and what works after a few years of using my own packs...and I was pretty damn curious to try it out.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Material on 01/31/2013 12:33:21 MST Print View

Those packs look great. Congratulations.

I'm interested in this material. I don't want you to feel any pressure to share the name of the source, but can you tell us a little about the material? Does this laminate have a pure woven dyneema face fabric on it, or a dyneema/polyester (as in the DX40) face fabric, or dyneema reenforcement inside the laminate? Is is laminated to polyester (mylar) film? What is the weight of the material?

Edit: Sorry, I just followed the link you posted (which I overlooked before), and some of my questions are answered there. I gather that the material was MADE by Cubic but you acquired it from somewhere else.

Nice work. The craftsmanship and the clean simplicity of these designs are impressive.

Edited by ckrusor on 01/31/2013 12:38:46 MST.

dan mchale
(wildlife) - MLife

Locale: Cascadia
:>) on 01/31/2013 13:14:15 MST Print View

Didn't get the fabric from me! :>)

Edited by wildlife on 01/31/2013 16:11:23 MST.

Michael Duke
(mpd1690) - F
Re: :>) on 01/31/2013 13:23:48 MST Print View

Nice looking pack. Be sure to do a long term report on the material. I'm interested if it is worth it. I really like the way dyneema wears, but it is just so expensive. I don't know if the cost is worth it. Please let us know how it compares.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Weight? on 01/31/2013 14:17:50 MST Print View

Looks great.

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - F - MLife

Re: Material on 01/31/2013 15:32:03 MST Print View

Colin, thanks and let me know if any of your questions weren't answered.

Michael D, I'll definitely do an update. The full dyneema is probably overkill and not worth the price for most unless you're pack is frequently in contact with rock or you're carrying sharp things (skis, etc) on your pack.

Michael W, weights and dimensions are listed in the (difficult to see) link above. The big one is 26.5 oz and the smaller one is 16.4 oz.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Cool on 02/01/2013 15:14:43 MST Print View

Nice packs! I'm a bit jealous.