Forum Index » GEAR » Mini Caldera Cone awesomenessness

Display Avatars Sort By:
Joe L
(heyyou) - MLife

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr
bail handle=no gap in C. cone on 06/02/2013 18:39:36 MDT Print View

@Jason

A bail handle is lighter if you can tolerate holding and drinking from your cup with something that protects your hand. Is it the cup that you like to drink from, or the finger sized handles for holding the cup, or both? A bail handle does not require the cutout on the side of the cone, somewhat protecting the band from high flames.

What are you using to rehydrate your food--your Ti cup, freezer bags, or a plastic bowl?

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Alcohol...tealight or Ion stove on 06/02/2013 19:52:14 MDT Print View

I'm interested in going something like this. I'd like the option of alcohol though. Anyone tried a small alcohol stove yet? Maybe something like a simple tea light stove or a Sgt Rocks Ion stove. I figure the output would need to be very low, so those stoves are probably the way to go.

One thing I personally don't like the idea of is having to put the C Cone inside the pot after burning Esbit. Even though that is the best way to store it...I just hate the idea of getting gunk on the inside of my pot (don't care at all about the outside). Does anyone else find this an issue? Or should I just put the windscreen inside a small snaplock... hmm...

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
ESBIT gunk & pot storage on 06/02/2013 20:12:20 MDT Print View

I use my CC Ti Sidewinder with ESBIT a lot but I store it in its own tiny stuffsack.

Nestled inside my 3 cup mating pot is a cut down Glad plastic fridge bowl and a plastic drinking/measuring cup. The pot goes in a stuffsack. No room for the stove in the pot. Bowl and cup weight 1.6 oz.

ESBIT gunk is (mostly) wiped off with leaves, grass and a very light plastic scratch pad and water before storing. Ya gotta do it every time you cook.

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
Re: ESBIT gunk & pot storage on 06/02/2013 20:21:41 MDT Print View

I also used the little tyvek sleeve to store my cone before putting it inside the cook pot. With my 1.3L set-up, it has been used for lots of both wood & Esbit, however, the Tyvek sleeve does an excellent job at keeping the soot away from the inside of the pot.

As far as the Esbit stove, I use a fold over sandwich bag to store the stove in before putting it inside my pot.

I use the Starlyte stove with my cone, and I found that it will fit perfectly inside the cone (which is rolled up inside the tyvek sleeve).

Nate Boyer
(NateB123) - F - MLife
400ml setup on 06/03/2013 10:48:04 MDT Print View

looks like this is out of stock at traildesigns.com

Drew Jay
(drewjh) - F

Locale: Central Coast
Stake on 06/04/2013 10:12:14 MDT Print View

I forgot about Trail Designs using the two stake design to raise the pot for different modes. What I meant though is punching holes for a stake as a second point of support in esbit mode so you can eliminate the silicon band - see my setup here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=75650

Andy Duncan
(bluewater) - M

Locale: SoCal
Mini Caldera Cone awesomenessness on 07/11/2013 12:38:42 MDT Print View

Thank you Jason for posting the details of your esbit stove. I contacted Traildesigns and ordered a cone after reading this. They were out of the Evernew Ti mugs (companion cup with handles) but he sent me a link on Amazon. I used it on a 7 day Sierra trip with great results. I really like the compact size, much smaller and more durable than my Caldera Keg GVP system. To keep the handles cool enough to use I keep the esbit at the opposite side of the cone while it's burning.

The only drawback I found is that the beer band burned off the first time I used it. I ended up using stakes to hold the cup.

BTW, this size cone also fits my Ruta Locura 550 and 850 ml Ti mugs, although the 850 is probably too big for efficient cooking.

p.Mini esbit stove

Edited by bluewater on 07/11/2013 12:57:34 MDT.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: Mini Caldera Cone awesomenessness on 07/11/2013 13:00:04 MDT Print View

Great to know it fits the Ruta Locura 550ml mug!

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
3 Ti stakes for the Cone on 07/11/2013 13:18:51 MDT Print View

I use a 3rd Ti stake to hole the cone in place in windy conditions.

The 3rd stake is run down through a bottom slot in the cone and into a hole I drilled in the Ti base sheet and into the ground, stake hook down against the cone slot hole. This stake is placed on the windward side of the stove, base Ti drilled hole sheet rotated to the windward side.

You can drill two holes in the Ti base sheet for two stakes, one on each side of the cone, in very windy conditions. But of course only ESBIT or alcohol should be used in those conditions to pevent wood sparks from being blown away into flammable forest material.