Forum Index » GEAR » Brian Frankle Joins Six Moon Designs

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ron Moak
(rmoak) - F
Brian Frankle Joins Six Moon Designs on 01/29/2013 08:48:50 MST Print View

Brian FrankleWe announced this at the GGG last weekend, but I thought the general BPL audience would also like to know. Brian Frankle has joined Six Moon Designs as Director of Pack Designs. Together, he and I are developing a new architecture for the next generation of backpacks.

We are really excited about the new architectural pack design and what it holds for the future. We'll be announcing actual pack details in the coming months as they get closer to production.

Ron Moak
Six Moon Designs

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Brian Frankle Joins Six Moon Designs on 01/29/2013 09:07:58 MST Print View

Unbelievable news. Very excited about the "one, two" punch here.

Duane Hall
(PKH) - M

Locale: Nova Scotia
RE: Brian Frankle and Six Moon Designs. on 01/29/2013 10:18:21 MST Print View

Oh yeah. I own packs made by both Brian and Ron - I expect to see great things from this team.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: RE: Brian Frankle and Six Moon Designs. on 01/29/2013 10:53:04 MST Print View

I also own packs by both and am excited to see what they come up with.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Brian Frankle Joins Six Moon Designs on 01/29/2013 11:58:30 MST Print View

Can I get you guys any coffee?

Warm up cars/ scrape windshields?

I'm local.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
Who? on 01/29/2013 12:10:44 MST Print View

Honestly never heard of him, would like to know more...

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Who? on 01/29/2013 12:14:11 MST Print View

Mary Shelley's son.

Just kidding. He is the founder of ULA.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Who? on 01/29/2013 12:23:36 MST Print View

From ULA Website:

"Ultralight Adventure Equipment was established in 2001, 2 years after Brian Frankles’ thru-hike of the Pacific Crest Trail. At that time a few other companies existed that catered to ultralight backpacking enthusiasts, but the majority of innovation was coming from home-based creative folks that happened to have some sewing skill, a copy of Ray Jardine’s, “A Pacific Crest Trails Hiker Handbook,” and an internet connection to share their ideas with the online trail community. While planning and hiking the PCT, Brian was caught between the intrigue of Jardine’s techniques and the traditional approach to backpacking upon which his prior experiences were based. He began his 2500 mile journey northbound from Mexico with a 25 lb base weight and a stomach full of anxiety. Brian strolled into Canada with a 12 lb base weight and the feeling that the world of long distance hiking was wide open.

After a one year apprenticeship with a local pack make, Brian took the skills he had developed and struck out on his own, designing gear that would address the needs of ultralight and lightweight hikers as well as transitioning traditionalists…a balanced compromise of comfort, function, and durability. The original gear (P-1 and P-2 Packs) were received warmly by the distance hiking community and ULA-Equipment quickly established itself as a provider of functional, durable equipment...albeit a slow provider! A 4 month backlog was standard , but the customers were incredibly gracious, recognizing that Brian was one man with one sewing machine, working hard and doing his best. In the ensuing years, Brain created packs that became the gold standard for through hikers. His first hand knowledge and backpacking skills made him one of the most respected authorities in the world of ultra light equipment."

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Who? on 01/29/2013 12:40:25 MST Print View

Oh great. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of Brian's old designs (Catalyst), and now I have to play the waiting game to see if they come up with something better suited for my needs.

I suppose its a good problem to have.

Can't wait to see what you guys have up your sleeve! Congrats on the partnership!

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
One to follow! on 01/29/2013 12:54:29 MST Print View

Good news indeed! Can't wait to see what's being cooked up!

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Brian Frankle Joins Six Moon Designs on 01/29/2013 13:01:25 MST Print View

That's awesome! Maybe we can get an updated version of the old Relay. I'm bummed I never bought one before they were discontinued, it seems like it would have been perfect for the trail work I do.

I actually just purchased and Borah Gear Stealth to replace a circa 2007 Conduit that's finally worn out. I'm excited to see what the collaboration of Ron and Brian brings. A Swift was on my short list before I bought the Stealth.

Adam

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Welcome, Brian! on 01/29/2013 13:11:26 MST Print View

Wonderful! I have wondered what Brian was up to since he sold ULA. Does that mean that Brian is moving to the Portland area? If so, welcome! If you haven't yet discovered www.portlandhikers.org, it's a great area (Oregon and SW Washington) hiking forum with an excellent Field Guide to many local trails.

I look forward to great things happening with this combination. I might even end up buying a new pack, even though my SMD Comet (2005 model bought in early 2006) is still holding up just fine!

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Brian Frankle Joins Six Moon Designs on 01/29/2013 13:17:26 MST Print View

Welcome back Brian !!!

Edited by Franco on 01/29/2013 17:50:44 MST.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Brian Frankle Joins Six Moon Designs on 01/29/2013 13:25:46 MST Print View

Good news. Maybe pack design will finally improve. I have not really felt the need to upgrade from my 08 Golite Jam2 since the pack market seems to have nothing very different or better since then. I still love the design of the AMP but the straps just did not fit my frame. Good luck guys.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Brian Frankle Joins Six Moon Designs on 01/29/2013 15:53:32 MST Print View

"Unbelievable news. Very excited about the "one, two" punch here."

+100 This is about the only thing I can think of that might persuade me to switch
from my OHM.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
wow on 01/29/2013 16:18:54 MST Print View

Frankle's genius designs and eye for aesthetics + Moak's manufacturing capacity and overall strong UL foundation + collective experience of 2 industry vets...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(breath)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Konrad1013 on 01/29/2013 16:25:00 MST.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Frankle on 01/29/2013 19:01:03 MST Print View

Excellents news. I'm looking forward to some amazing innovation and refinement.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Celebrity on 01/29/2013 19:14:51 MST Print View

For being such a "celebrity " he sure seemed very down to earth at the GGG last weekend.

E J
(mountainwalker) - MLife

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England
nice guy, looking forward to great products from this collaboration on 01/29/2013 20:00:20 MST Print View

Met him briefly at the GGG this past weekend. Seemed like a very nice and down to earth guy. I didn't even realize he was Brian from ULA! Anyway looking forward to great things from this collaboration.

Congratulations Brian and Ron!

Edited by mountainwalker on 01/29/2013 20:01:08 MST.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Brian Frankle Joins Six Moon Designs on 01/29/2013 20:44:00 MST Print View

I now suspect that Ron planted a dead rat inside Brian's van just to get him out of there.